STEP Experience thread 2016

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place.
dehn
Burning Since: 2020

Re: STEP Experience thread 2016

Post by dehn » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:14 am

^^^^^

hmmm i was timestamped at 12:02, and still waiting on email....

sure you were a 12:03 timestamp??

either way CONGRATS!!!!

yuanfix
Burning Since: 2014

Post by yuanfix » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:42 am

Not to sure on the milliseconds, but my man friend is pretty sure it was 12:03. My timestamp was 12:17, I don't think there is any hope there.

seatharama
Burning Since: 2016

Post by seatharama » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:24 am

Does anyone recall how far down the line STEP has made it in years past? I'm 12:05, curious if I should try and hold out instead of caving in and getting a presale.

backtoplaya
Burning Since: 2015

Post by backtoplaya » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:53 am

My friend was able to get through STEP but can't attend this year. Great news for me, as she is willing to order a ticket for me. The bad news is that tickets are now only available for will call pickup. Does anyone know if it is possible to purchase a ticket through STEP for will call pickup and then transfer the order name to somebody else for them to pickup at the gate?

Thanks!

matthewwt
Camp Name: Hookah Lounge

Post by matthewwt » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:52 am

My email was time stamped 12.00.30 and I have not yet been offered a ticket :( . Anyone else before 12.01 not been offered one? I wonder if it is because the time here when I registered was 20.00, but we are 8hr in advance of Pacific time. Presumably not everyone who has STEP tickets are on Pacific time? Thanks!

MIse

Post by MIse » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:21 am

Na mate I'm GMT & timestamp was deffo 12:01:01

Now I know they say you cant trust them 100% but this is the first anomaly I've come across after following the pattern in 2012 too
Did you check your spam folder?

s_ting

Post by s_ting » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:29 am

General question: how does STEP work in regards to one ticket vs two? If someone sells in two tickets, are those distributed only to people who signed up for two tickets? Or are people who are queued in STEP all just grouped into one queue where all the tickets are aggregated and dished out? What happens then if there is only one ticket available, but the next person up wanted two? Is the line just stuck there then?

Sorry if this has been asked and answered before, I tried to search but there are so many pages of results when I search STEP queue...

EDIT: Ah, seem to have found the answer in the 2015 STEP thread of "need to contact ticket support for that."

matthewwt
Camp Name: Hookah Lounge

Post by matthewwt » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:03 am

Hi Mlse
Many thanks for you reply. All my spam goes to my inbox and my burner profile says that I'm in the STEP queue. I guess if an email had vanished into junkspace I would no longer be in the queue. Where do you see your timestamp? All I have is a BM image and a message saying I'm in the queue. If I choose reply the sent message appears with the header:
"On 27 April 2016 20:00:30 Ticket Support <ticketsupport@burningman.org> wrote:"
In this 20.00 is 12.00 Pacific time.
Thanks again!

MIse

Post by MIse » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:55 pm

Not sure how you do it with other mail clients but Gmail seems to be the most popular / easiest way of seeing it....that is if your confirmation mail went to a gmail account.
Im sure there must be other ways of seeing it in other clients
You click the little drop down on the top right of the message, hit see original & then it gives you a page of code & the first 3 lines are what you're after....mine looks like this

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:29 pm

This is your Debby Downer reality check:

TIMESTAMPS ARE NOT ANY INDICATION OF WHERE YOU ARE IN LINE.

They never have been, they never will be. The best they do is let you know you might be on the early end of the queue if it's at noon on the dot - but you still have absolutely no idea how many people are in that queue, or how many are ahead of you. There are also multiple servers that took the requests, multiple people could have the exact same timestamp. They are not all getting offered the same tickets at the same time.

The Org does not release any information about people's places in STEP, and the timestamp has become a desperate grasp to have some control over a situation that is literally unknowable.
There are too many variables in STEP to rely on it as your only source for tickets, the big two are:

1) This is the most important: There are NO tickets assigned to STEP from the Org. None.
The only tickets that become available are ones that other participants release to STEP, and they only come in as fast as people release them. That could be zero a week, it could be a dozen a day. There is no way to know.

2) Each person who does get a STEP offer has 3 days to decide if they want to buy. Last year some tickets got lost in limbo when STEP closed because people never said "no thanks", which screwed the seller out of getting money back & screwed people desperate for a ticket.

tl;dr: Don't rely on STEP as your only source for a ticket. Get involved with your regionals, get involved with camps, get involved with other Burners. The vast majority of tickets change hands through these informal networks, not through STEP.

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

smiffman

Post by smiffman » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:40 am

Deboreah Uppare here,

STEP is still working...STEP is still working....

***5 days left***

timestamps are like bret michaels from poison

fireheadwhale
Camp Name: Pen is Mightier

Post by fireheadwhale » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:35 am

Hi everbody!

Today I got my email from Step!

My timestamp was 12:03. Stupid me, I booked a room on airbnb for the month of August. I live in a hot, hot place. Think Death Valley. If there is a day where the high is predicted at 99 degrees we celebrate. I was going somewhere out of the heat. Damn room is non-refundable. I'll be coming home a week early and going to The Dust. I'm 62 years old tomorrow and I think I need this. See you on The Playa!

Being 62 years old and solo camping, I don't think I'll stray far from my camp. I'll bring some handles of brandy and share with those with those who show ID.

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You can apply any terms to any situation to rationalize bias or perspective.

Intregin
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Pit Stop

Post by Intregin » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:50 pm

Yes, you do need to experience this, congratulations! And don't plan to stay in your camp. Get to know some of your neighbors and tag along for a bit if you need a little guidance, then Explore Everything!!

EGAZ
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Post by EGAZ » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:34 pm

Just a few years behind you FHW!! Congrates on the tickets!! Get a bike and CamelBak and get out roaming. start close by, expand as you become more comfortable. 8)
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

homey
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pickle Joint

Post by homey » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:06 pm

FYI The ticket I purchased through STEP back in May just arrived in the mail*, so the system worked from start to finish. Hoping all of my STEP brothers and sisters get a ticket.

* There was no advance warning email alert, it just suddenly arrived via USPS.
pickle joint 2003-2015, paul is sexy 2002-2003, moontribe 1999

iluvspd

Post by iluvspd » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:27 am

STEP worked for me last week.... 2 tix + VP waiting @ will call. No option to rec by mail, which i would have preferred. But at this point, happy to get in.

Return to “Tickets Discussion”