STEP Experience thread 2016

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place.
vargaso
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

STEP Experience thread 2016

Postby vargaso » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:07 pm

[Mod note: I've edited the thread title and am merging threads discussing STEP experiences here. Please feel free to share your experience registering, buying, or selling your tickets through STEP here, or to express encouragement and congratulations to those who are able to get the tickets they need]

Well, I refreshed right at noon, got the STEP registration widget to show up on my Burner Profiles, selected the two ticket radio button, hit the Register button, and as of 12:06, my page is still hanging. Ha. We'll see what happens.

UPDATE: on another browser, I get this message after hitting the Register button: "ERROR: The connection to Ticketfly failed." Well at least the STEP queue isn't first-come/first-served...oh wait yes it is. Ha. Ticketfly strikes again.
Last edited by vargaso on Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

obeyjon
Burning Since: 2014

Re: STEP registration

Postby obeyjon » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:11 pm

same. i don't understand how a company that makes so much money and heralds creative thinking can have such an arcane/ineffective ticketing system each year.

MikeH
Burning Since: 2015

Postby MikeH » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:12 pm

It took me 4 minutes of ticket fly timeouts and frantic refreshing, but I'm now somewhere in the queue. Is there any way to tell how far down the queue I am?
Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible
- Frank Zappa

vargaso

Postby vargaso » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:18 pm

Still getting error message now. I'm pretty much out of luck with STEP even if I do eventually get in, at this point. I'm pretty damn understanding about technical issue, being in the field myself, but this is cockup after cockup, multiple years running, with Ticketfly. I know it was too late to change vendors for STEP after the main sale cockup, but if BMORG is still using Ticketfly next year, then they just don't give a fuck.

Lykke_Komorebi
Burning Since: 2016

Postby Lykke_Komorebi » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:19 pm

So I clicked and clicked and am now in the que, hopefully for 2 tickets. Hopefully someone wishes to STE them with me via the P. The errors with ticketfly let us know we were in the right place :wink: Good luck everyone!
"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."

vargaso

Postby vargaso » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:24 pm

And I'm in at 12:19. Ten minutes of "ERROR: The connection to Ticketfly failed." messages, coupled with SHITTY user experience waiting while the servers were up, unsure if my page was frozen (sure looked like it as the cursor turned into the hand icon not matter where I placed it) or if my place in the queue was being processed. Then a message stating "This may take awhile, if it seems to be taking too long, please refresh the page," which when I did, is when the error messages started. Ha. I'm still going, it's just, man. Doesn't have to be this way.

Lash

Postby Lash » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:31 pm

I logged on at 11:30 and then refreshed from 11:58 on until the side bar widget came up. When I clicked 2 tickets and register I received the ticketfly error at first. Then I had the error combined with a "This may take a while" loading screen. I thought since that started at 12:00, I would surely be in the cue and in a good place. But I left it there to load and it never did work. Finally I opened another tab and tried it again and it went right through at 12:18. Hopefully I am far up in line enough to get a ticket? Hopefully I am not disqualified for opening 2 tabs simultaneously? :?
Overshadow mediocrity! WTF does normal even mean and why do humans strive for it?

thebb

Postby thebb » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:32 pm

Does anyone know if there is a timeframe where I should probably consider to look elsewhere for tickets? Like say, if I don't receive an email from STEP within 2 weeks or something like that. I was able to get in the queue exactly at 3:00 pm. I even received the confirmation e-mail at 3:00 pm. However, with all things ticket in burning man, punctuation does not guarantee anything.

vargaso

Postby vargaso » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:39 pm

thebb wrote:Does anyone know if there is a timeframe where I should probably consider to look elsewhere for tickets? Like say, if I don't receive an email from STEP within 2 weeks or something like that. I was able to get in the queue exactly at 3:00 pm. I even received the confirmation e-mail at 3:00 pm. However, with all things ticket in burning man, punctuation does not guarantee anything.

Start now, seriously. Even if you're first in line for STEP. Basically, as soon as you don't get tickets in the main sale, you should start looking elsewhere and everywhere. Without connections, it's pretty much the only way you'll get a ticket. Fortune rewards the persistent.

EGAZ
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Postby EGAZ » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:40 pm

I had four systems setup, two win7 on FF, two old XP boxes on Chrome. Received my email saying I was on the STEP list and to wait for a future email. WooHoo!! :P No idea where I am at on the list so it may be moot.... But hey, passed one more 'step' in the quest for tickets...

I'll post later on what I did and what I said on the screens......
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

smiffman

Postby smiffman » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:48 pm

In and Out, quick and painless. Unfortunately was a lil over zealous and only selected one but needed two. Huntin' season is upon us.

ron miller

Postby ron miller » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:11 pm

This is weird. I am still in the profiles and have the SPARKLY THINGS Widget saying I am in the queue. However when I checked my email, I already have an email saying that I am in line to purchase 1 ticket. I have never gotten to the place where I can select ANY tickets. WTF?

Luigi
Camp Name: VW Bus Camp

Postby Luigi » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:18 pm

Got in at 12:01, selected one ticket, and received the email 'you are now in the queue' at 12:02

Circle spinner is still turning at 1:01 and my profile page says:

You are currently in the STEP queue.
You may cancel your request to purchase tickets.
This action cannot be undone and you will not be able to rejoin the queue.

At 1:16 now and I must just let it spin itself out.....
"Water is the driving force of all nature. " Leonardo da Vinci

illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby illy dilly » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:23 pm

ron miller wrote:This is weird. I am still in the profiles and have the SPARKLY THINGS Widget saying I am in the queue. However when I checked my email, I already have an email saying that I am in line to purchase 1 ticket. I have never gotten to the place where I can select ANY tickets. WTF?

Well, Ron Miller, that's what I call Magic.

What a joke the registration was. Pretty sure the registration was modeled off an old Da Vinci sketch.
Between the 3 of us that tried to get into step, only 2 were able to make it. Knowing the joys that are buying tickets and that Ticket Fly is known for flawless ticketing systems, we figured we would need as many people trying to get in as possible. :roll: So, my self, SmAshly, and Panda all tried to register. Panda and SmAshly both got in at 4 min after. I couldn't get in by 10 after and quit. We're only short 1 ticket out of 4, so who ever gets the first offer email will take the ticket and VP, the other person will get out of queue.

Once I got the "Error: Connection to Ticket Fly Failed." everytime I would select 1 ticket and hit [Register] I would immediately get the error again.

Being at Burning Man isn't easy, Getting to Burning Man isn't easy, so why do we think getting tickets would be easy?
I'm still surprised that I get surprised when there are ticket sale technical issues. Its been this way every year since 2011.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

EGAZ

Postby EGAZ » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:51 pm

Not knowing if TF changed or fixed the java script but I had four systems up and logged in at 11:15.
Two Win7 laptops running FF, Two old XP boxes running fresh Chrome installs.
Win7 were wireless to my router, XPs were cabled to same router. COX as ISP, Phx, AZ
Kept a note pad to document what I did.

Refreshed all at 11:30, nothing
Again at 11:40, nothing. Repeated this all the way too 12:00 reducing the span to one minute, then again to 30secs during the last five minute before 12:00.

At 12:59 I refreshed win7-1 and got the spinning wheel, left it running
12:00:01 refreshed win7-2, same as above.
12:00:02 refreshed XP1, same as above.
12:01:00 refreshed XP2, TF error, hit it again, took a few times but received a you are 'added' to the queue.
So now I have all four waiting for the spinning wheel to change to something.....

I didn't have much faith with the XP boxes given their age and speed. So I refreshed XP2 at 12:05 just to see what would happen.
Returned TicketFly connection error.

Repeated at 12:07:00 same thing.
Repeated at 12:10 and it said I was 'IN' to the queue.

12:14:00 Refreshed XP1, said I was 'added' to the queue.
12:20:00 refreshed win7-2, said I was now 'IN' the queue. Different then 'added' to the queue.
12:25:00 refreshed win7-1, same as above.
12:29:00 refreshed XP1, now 'In' queue. so all four are 'IN' the queue.

I can't exactly remember when, (between 12:29 & 12:33), I did get the 'one or two tickets' window on all four boxes. Selected two on all and SELECT button.

Received email at 12:35 saying I was 'ON' the STEP list. Time stamp on the email said 12:15...... Note I have not selected ticket quantity at 12:15. I did that at 12:29 approximately!!
12:45:00 closed browsers on all but win7-1. and started typing this post.

Received a second email at 12:44 saying I have been removed from the STEP list. WTF!

Not sure what happened. Could be they saw four systems from the same IP and kicked me, could be TF funked me or I funked myself doing it the way I did or Karma just flat slapped me upside the face. Either way, I am back to zero. Ha!

I didn't expect much from STEP given the low number of tickets that are obtained via STEP every year. Even if one gets 'ON' the STEP list, you could be so far down it doesn't matter. I knew this going in. But I had to try right? So I made my plan and went with it.

From all I have read about the ticket system, here and elsewhere, it does need to be addressed. I am not a java guy but if they want to keep the first in, first accepted plan, they need to code it so it only takes one profile request per IP. Then compare the accepted BM profiles to IPs. if it sees more than one IP per profile, kick the second, third, fourth, etc. IP but keep the first. This keeps people doing what I just did. Or 'remote log' into another system (or friend logging in on their system with my profile). I thought about doing the remote login thing. I have a number of boxes I could have logged in on and done this. I figured lag would be an issue.

Maybe they did implement this and is why I received the "You are off the STEP list" email. I'm waitng for the Java guys on Reddit to post up.

As far as overflow, queuing, bandwidth, scaling, etc., that is out of my realm but it can't be that difficult. Concert sales do it and don't have these issues.

My ticket quest continues....... :?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:14 pm

Well, multiple systems from the same IP address would likely raise a flag for suspicious activity... but it sounds like there were some issues with the queue. If you have not already done so, you should contact ticket support with your details. To all those who had an issue with their registration (didn't get to select, chose the wrong number, etc) I would suggest doing the same. You know - for ticket support, contact ticketsupport@burningman.org.

Congrats to those who were able to get through without incident, and good luck! Remember, it's a slow and painful process since it depends completely upon the flow of tickets going into the system. Have faith though, every year more than a quarter of the tickets change hands at least once between the time they were purchased and when they come through the gates at Black Rock City. As people's personal or camp plans and circumstances change, they may find themselves no longer able to go - and STEP makes for an easy way for them to keep the tickets within the community.

Our ticket boards have now also opened up for the season. Please respect the site by reading this post first, thanks!

smiffman

STEP Purchase Links; Post Success Stories

Postby smiffman » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:32 am

STEP is upon us and most of us await eagerly for that purchase email to appear. Please post STEP successes here. Good luck and hope you get to STEP on through to the other side...

trilobyte
Site Admin

Re: STEP Experience thread 2016

Postby trilobyte » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:46 am

I've renamed the thread title and merged the STEP experience threads.

stygmah

Postby stygmah » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:16 am

Is there any possible way of knowing what position of the queue you are in? Managed to get in at 12:01, I think that gives me some sort of good odds.

MIse

Postby MIse » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:40 am

lol dont dare mention the dreaded timestamps or certain members will lose their head :lol:
I remember back in 2012 when I last depended on STEP (it's first year) that was a big thing, opening the full code of the emails & deciphering the order according to the time your STEP mail left the server, as much as mods & other people denounced it though it did seem to work & people received notifications pretty much in order of the timestamps they received.

As for my experience last night, loaded the page in my browser & on my phone. Hit refresh at bang on 8pm (I'm in Ireland so 8 hours ahead) & the site hung & wouldn't reload the page, my phone reloaded alright though & I hit the button for 1 ticket. Then just that second the widget loaded in the browser & I hit it there too, the phone widget kept spinning but my browser one told me I was successfully registered within maybe 10/20 seconds.....all in all I was registered & email received at 12.01 PDT

Were people at the very front / first in the STEP queue immediately offered any tickets fed into the system last night I wonder or will they let the queue build up for a day or two before offering tickets?

trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby trilobyte » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:47 am

Sorry, there is no way for you to know your place in line. You may want to visit the ticket support site to ask the question, if they get enough requests hopefully they'll add it to the FAQ.

thebb

Postby thebb » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:10 pm

Has anyone received an email for a chance to buy them yet? Is there a way to know if they have started sending them out at all yet?

EGAZ

Postby EGAZ » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:41 pm

Update!

I emailed BMorg with a link of my post above and a link from Reddit explaining what happened at the main sale. I expected nothing to come of it but this was the reply.

It looks like your registration to buy ticket(s) from the Secure Ticket Exchange Program (STEP) may have been inadvertently cancelled.

Our team indicates that due to heavy load, this cancellation may have happened accidentally, and we wanted to let you know that we’ve reinstated your registration, and that your original place in line has been retained.

We’ve worked with the tech team to make sure that your Burner Profile reflects that you’re still registered for STEP.

So I'm a back on the list..... WooHoo!!.....Where at? Who knows, probably at the bottom but the very remote possibility is still their, right? So while I wait for a STEP email to arrive with an offer, my ticket quest continues as planned using all other avenues available.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby trilobyte » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:10 pm

Yes. The proverbial gates opened on April 13th for people who wanted to contribute tickets to STEP. Once the tool opened up for buyers yesterday, any tickets in the queue were offered out. It is typically a very small number (which is why there's a 2 week head start), because at this early stage a lot of people still haven't figured out whether they'll be able to go or not.

thebb

Postby thebb » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:44 am

trilobyte wrote:Yes. The proverbial gates opened on April 13th for people who wanted to contribute tickets to STEP. Once the tool opened up for buyers yesterday, any tickets in the queue were offered out. It is typically a very small number (which is why there's a 2 week head start), because at this early stage a lot of people still haven't figured out whether they'll be able to go or not.

I e-mailed ticket support yesterday asking if STEP e-mail had already started being sent out. This was their answer:

I don’t know the answer to that question,but do know that it can take a few days to get the information to the team that handles this program from registration, and get set up for use in the program, so likely those emails have not yet started to go out, but should soon once registration information makes it way to the right people!

nocturnal_steve
Burning Since: 1997

How many before me in Step ?

Postby nocturnal_steve » Mon May 02, 2016 11:01 pm

Assuming you have successfully registered for STEP (I got my email confirmation that I was in the que),
Is there any way to find out how many people before you ?

This will give me at least a vague idea if getting STEP tickets is feasible.
Stay hydrated my friend.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Postby BBadger » Mon May 02, 2016 11:24 pm

It usually involves all or some of the following:

1. Checking time-stamps of emails delivered to a small sample of people on ePlaya.
  2. Some incantations made over the still warm body of a sacrificed capon.
  3. Arguments over whether the expected wait time is a random process that can predicted in the first place.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Re: How many before me in Step ?

Postby Eric » Tue May 03, 2016 1:17 am

nocturnal_steve wrote:Is there any way to find out how many people before you ?

The honest answer is "no". That isn't information that ticketing has ever released with STEP, and due to the way STEP works that information would be useless even if you had it (people have to put tickets in before any are available to go out, knowing where you are in line still doesn't let you know what people are going to do with their tickets).

As a note to everybody: STEP has always been the "miracle lottery ticket" plan - it works, and people do get tickets from it, but counting on it alone to get you through the Gate is idle dreaming. I don't want to be a dream-crusher, I want to be realistic; don't stop trying every legitimate source available to you (hint: if they try to charge you more than face value, tell them to fuck off. It's probably a scalper & you're out the money and still not at Burning Man). There will be a lot of tickets changing hand as the event gets closer, start growing connections to Burners if you don't already have them.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

EGAZ

Postby EGAZ » Tue May 03, 2016 1:30 am

This was Ticket Support's reply to the same question.

The flow of tickets in STEP depends on how many people are selling their tickets back and how many people signed up for STEP before you did. Unfortunately, we do not have the ability here in ticket support to tell where people are in the queue and cannot predict the rate at which people will sell their tickets back into STEP.

I’m not sure if the emails have started to go out yet, but do know that it takes a bit of time to get the registration data sorted out and to the STEP team for use, so it’s likely that they haven’t yet started sending those emails out, but that they will shortly (assuming tickets have been sold back already)

The best advice we can give you is to be patient. In the meantime, we encourage you to continue to seek out any extra tickets in your immediate community.

nocturnal_steve, Gotta keep working other options. I'm doing the same.

Jackass

Postby Jackass » Tue May 03, 2016 3:11 am

incantations made over the still warm body of a sacrificed capon

More than likely your best chance. Get that "edge", if you will...
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Return to “Tickets Discussion”