Heads up people burning man needs 2000 more low income applications or they will not give out the left over tickets

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place.
yellowsubtab
Burning Since: 2015

Heads up people burning man needs 2000 more low income applications or they will not give out the left over tickets

Postby yellowsubtab » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:16 pm

Heads up people burning man needs 2000 more low income applications or they will not give out the left over low income tickets.

6000 people who applied for the left over low income tickets will be waiting for nothing if burning man doesn't get 8000 applications.

http://www.rgj.com/story/life/arts/burn ... /86207824/

Apply. Just apply even if you think you won't get one. Apply! Burning man dosnt have a limit on how much you make to award you these tickets they take many other things in to consideration.

Tell your friends who don't even plan on going to apply any way.
Apply to help your fellow burners have the chance to get the tickets they are needing and waiting for.

Please share!

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Re: Heads up people burning man needs 2000 more low income applications or they will not give out the left over tickets

Postby BBadger » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:30 pm

Is that RGJ rag even credible? There are no citations at all in that article and I can't find any corroborating evidence of their claims.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: Heads up people burning man needs 2000 more low income applications or they will not give out the left over tickets

Postby lucky420 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:24 am

I still have the link to the LIT on my burner profile so yeah it's real.

The RGJ online is full of click ads and whatnots but it's the daily paper here in rEno.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

asr9754

Postby asr9754 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:13 am

Except don't do this:
"Tell your friends who don't even plan on going to apply any way. Apply to help your fellow burners have the chance to get the tickets they are needing and waiting for."

Low income tix are not re-sellable or transferable, you show your ID at Willcall to pick them up.
And it'd be kind of a shitty thing to do anyway.

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby Elliot » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:33 am

This information was published yesterday as a BM Journal post, so I reckon it is legitimate. But it sure sounds strange.

We have a camper who was declined. Perhaps this camper is not very skilled at filling out applications.
But I don't know why they must have 8,000 applications to award 4,000 tickets. I understand the concept -- that it is desirable, but not that it is required. What did I miss?

We also have a camper who was awarded a L.I. ticket. Is this camper in danger of having it cancelled, if they don't hit the 8,000 mark?

I better read this a couple more times.
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Healing Arts, Body Paint & Piano Bar
Cell-Phone-Free & Non-Smoking in 2018!

-----Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude! -----

http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Awesome? Yes, Ma'am, we do awesome.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:35 am

I think the intent was just to get enough applications in to satisfy the minimum so anyone gets any.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

Dr Helix
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby Dr Helix » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:12 am

Trilo, Eric, Auntie M, do you folks have any light to shed on this? Seems a bit strange to me, unless they have a clause in their agreement with BLM about LOw Income.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"

dehn
Burning Since: 2020

Postby dehn » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:13 am

Interesting conversation going on here. going by application numbers in bottom right i think as of 6/18 they are around 6250 applicants. maybe the article will push that to 8000 easy... i think so.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:18 am

Why put a link to a news paper? The first hand info is right here on the official Burning Man Journal. Read, speculate, twist, make things up if you like. Nowhere does it say that this affects the tickets already awarded. They aren't going to give tickets to applicants with incomplete/false/sketchy documentation. If you are genuinely in the low-income bracket, by all means apply. Read and follow the instructions. I have faith that there are 4,000 low income burners that can submit a viable app. If not, then I vote for tossing them in the OMG sale.

My apologies to those of you that were denied. I hope you find a way to get a ticket.

http://journal.burningman.org/2016/06/b ... me-ticket/
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby Elliot » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:17 am

Yes. After closer study, it seems clear that the 3,000 tickets already awarded are safe.
To speculate further on the need for 8,000 applications.... Yes, it might be a requirement, or not. Either way the purpose is somewhat logical; to have a standard in place, to help ensure the tickets are assigned on need-and-merit, rather than simply first-come-first-served. And I imagine it was not easy to determine what this standard should be, and a 50% approval rate may very well be as good as anything else.

I conclude that BM HeadQuarters probably knows what they are doing. And I imagine they will have plenty of applicants in a day or three, now that they made this announcement.

On that note, I find it Good News that they did not receive more than 6,000 applications originally. This suggests to me that there is no big problem of all-kinds-of-people applying for L.I. in the hope of fooling the system.

(Full disclosure: I applied for and was granted a L.I. ticket in 2012.)
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Healing Arts, Body Paint & Piano Bar
Cell-Phone-Free & Non-Smoking in 2018!

-----Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude! -----

http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Awesome? Yes, Ma'am, we do awesome.

BeeWeeDee
Burning Since: 2012

Postby BeeWeeDee » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:06 pm

Here's hoping.

I retired from my profession in May and that dumped me into the low fixed income for the rest of my life category so I felt justified in applying for a LI ticket yesterday. Earlier, when I tried for a full price ticket in March and enrolled in STEP a few weeks later, I was fully employed and time will tell if that bumps me out - If the STEP ticket comes through, I'd likely spring for the ticket. A bird in the hand kind of thing.

If a LI ticket is awarded - great!
If a STEP ticket comes through - great!

So many options and the OMG sale hasn't even started. The hard part is to stay motivated to work on my Art Gallery, expand my Ice Cream operation and make bike racks.
The next morning you will wake up pretty much your old self except that a very unusual 16 hours will have been added to your store of life experience.

omicr_on
Burning Since: 2016

Postby omicr_on » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:07 pm

I'm a little bummed by hearing this news all over. My friend and I applied, she makes more money than I do, and yet she was awarded a LI ticket and I wasn't. I don't at all feel entitled to one -- I almost didn't apply, since I'm often broke but wouldn't call myself low-income. But it kinda hurts that my friend (who I was really looking forward to going with) managed to succeed and I didn't. We're both kind of dumbfounded. Makes me kind of curious about the criteria. If anyone has any thoughts or ideas about this I'm all ears. (I'm going to keep doing all the other stuff I hear I should be doing, like OMG, STEP, asking everyone, getting involved locally, etc.)

When you say "they will not give out those left over tickets" do you mean they'll get sold @ $390 in OMG? Or that they just won't be sold at all?

To be clear: I think the LI program is a great idea and I really appreciate all the work the org does to make it happen. Just sharing in case anyone has thoughts or it helps anyone else.

Return to “Tickets Discussion”