paypal from craigslist seller

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place.
patpatpatme

paypal from craigslist seller

Postby patpatpatme » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:15 am

how safe is it to use paypal buying tickets at face from a craigslist seller? they sent screenshots of the order confirmation, just a bit skeptical and trying to be cautious.

justanta
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Whore's S'mores

Re: paypal from craigslist seller

Postby justanta » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:44 am

Should be totally fine man, there is no way to fake a screenshot.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Postby BBadger » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:17 am

Yeah man, here's a screenshot from my own order. They totally put some secure watermarks and shit in there. Unfakable. Bone-uh-fide legit.

order_screenshot.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

tattooedreceptionist
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Swamp Thing

Postby tattooedreceptionist » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:47 am

Dying at badgers post. You are a bbaaaddd badger :lol:

But anyways...

At your own risk!!

I purchased a vehicle pass by itself before realizing I needed to put it with a ticket. That order I know will be canceled but it still hasn't shown up on the voided tickets list....might not until it's too late. Needless to say, I can easily send a order invoice n conformation for it, etc....

Also, dont think paypal won't protect against that kinda thing? Hope you fig everything out though and don't get scammed!
Norma Jean
Don't forget the pantalónes!

Sham

Postby Sham » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:05 pm

Anyone buying tickets should be EXTREMELY cautious. There are so many scammers out there that it's ridiculous.
As a public service, I will offer just one of the scenarios that has been done as a warning to others.

NEVER, EVER mark your payment as a gift. A scammer will request that under the guise of not having to cover the fees, but a gift can NEVER be disputed. Further, it's been reported that empty envelopes have been sent with tracking, and disputed orders can now show Proof of Delivery.

There are lots of warnings about various scams, but the best way to buy tickets is face to face.

Blue_Bike
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: As of 2017, Rootpile Bluegrass Camp

Postby Blue_Bike » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:57 am

FYI. I would suggest avoiding Craigslist unless you can do the transaction in person.

Short of that I would not completing the transaction until:

1. The seller has the tickets in hand. They are just now going out.
2. The seller sends you a legible copy of each ticket and VP clearly showing the serial numbers and QR codes on each ticket and VP you are purchasing.
3. You check said numbers against the most current list of cancelled tics & VPs on the BMorg's website.
4. You download a free QR code reader app for your smart phone and check to see if the code reader displays the ticket or vehicle pass serial number.
5. You have the seller to forward emailed purchase confirmation, receipt, and the notification emailed to them from Ticketfly notifying the original purchaser that their order has been prepared. I would then find someone you know for a fact has purchased their tickets this way and compare the emails (including links from BM ticketing and/or Ticketfly.

Even when taking these precautions, you can still be shafted as the previous posters have pointed out, and left with little to no real avenue for getting your money back. IMHO Craigslist is an easy avenue for scammers. And most people planning on attending, even Burgins, know other burners who would be happy to help them out with unloading face value tickets and VPs. Additionally, even being a seller on Craigslist comes with risks and most people who find themselves with extra tickets and or VPs would prefer to sell them locally in person or here on ePlaya.

If the seller balks at your requests or takes to long in providing what you have requested (giving them time to make convincing dummy copies), I would not do the deal. (Me? I wouldn't do it anyway.)

And if you find a local seller on Craigslist willing to meet you and complete the deal, you still must:

1. Carefully read, understand, and believe Trilo's post(s) on avoiding ticket scammers.
2. Do item #3 above. Print the latest copy of the bad tix list and take it with you. You may be able to copy and paste the list into a spreadsheet so you can sort it numerically, making it easier to check the tickets you wish to buy in person.
3. Do item #4 above.

If you can't do all the above for either an online or in person transaction I suggest you let someone else be the sucker and keep on looking. I understand that you really want to go this year, but unless you have enough dough to not be hurt by losing all the money you send off (through PayPal for a purchase Craigslist or even one of the well known auction sites), my advice is to forget it now and keep on searching, and to be prepared to skip it this year (and consider saving up the extra extra for next year and try getting your ticket in pre-sale, thus helping low-income people deemed worthy by the BMorg to make it to the playa).

Just my 2 cents worth, and today I am giving that advice away for free and eating the 2 cents. Best of luck to you and I hope you make it to the playa.
Fearlessly be Honest.
Honestly be Kind.
Tirelessly be Passionate.
Passionately be Creative.
Openly be Joyful.
Mindfully be the Person You Want to Be.

Return to “Tickets Discussion”