BM 2016 Pre-Sale Ticket "Face Value"

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place.
Melonblue
Burning Since: 2015

Re: BM 2016 Pre-Sale Ticket "Face Value"

Postby Melonblue » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:09 pm

Wouldn't we see less presale tickets on the forums if presale tickets could be submitted to STEP?

STEP is a secure resale system but excludes presale tickets.

I bought presale last year to guarantee my ticket because it WAS that important for me to go and I was financially secure enough to commit to the cost.

However If I were buying from a reseller of their presale ticket (and had to trust a 1300$ cost (Canadian) over some insecure garage sale network....I'd be hella skeptical and wouldn't risk it.

Doesn't STEP also work in a manner where if your ticket doesn't sell through STEP...you lose your money anyways?

Ticket sellers will not be refunded until their ticket(s) have been sold to another participant.

So what would be the big deal of letting presale into STEP? If they sell then the purchasers run no risk of being scammed.
If they don't sell...seller's are aware of the risk of losing it all.

Also since STEP is connected to burner profiles, the Organization could have more concrete info on how many presale are on the market.

But the bottom line would be fewer presale tickets in the forums.

ok2burn2004
Burning Since: 2003

Postby ok2burn2004 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:32 pm

justanta: the original issue at hand, i.e., the original point of this entire post was whether those $390 tickets I received as part of the Pre-Sale were an error or not. You, amongst a few other hostile individuals, went on a tangent trying to hijack this post and redirected the topic to a Pre-Sale-bashing. So please spare me the "Why are you trying to redirect discussion away from the issue at hand? Feeling guilty?" B.S.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:35 pm

Yeah but this is eplaya. Welcome to the jungle.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

Eric
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Eric » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:06 pm

ok2burn2004 wrote:justanta: the original issue at hand, i.e., the original point of this entire post was whether those $390 tickets I received as part of the Pre-Sale were an error or not. You, amongst a few other hostile individuals, went on a tangent trying to hijack this post and redirected the topic to a Pre-Sale-bashing. So please spare me the "Why are you trying to redirect discussion away from the issue at hand? Feeling guilty?" B.S.

The only people that can give you an accurate answer for your original question is Ticketing, and you've already said they told you it wasn't an error, even if other people got Pre-Sale tickets printed at $990. They said your order was accurate, they are the only ones who can tell you why that is so. This is an Official Answer.

tl:dr: no-one here can clear it up for you. It has to be through Ticketing.

As for people going off of your exact question ("thread drift"): this is the internet, and it's an impassioned group talking about an event they care deeply for. Your question picks at a sore spot with the current sell-out situation due to no fault of your own. Lot's of people think that only scammers buy the presales, which is patently false (but so are "chem-trails" and that doesn't stop people from believing in them). You've stepped into the middle of a conspiracy theory, don't think you need to defend the reasons you disagree with it. It's sometime easier to dent steel with your head than it is to get people to see the other side.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

justanta
Camp Name: Whore's S'mores

Postby justanta » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:55 pm

Lot's of people think only scammers buy the presales...

Its not that we think only scammers buy the presales. I think our general position is that peolle should not be allowed to use the presales as an insurance policy to mitigate the risk of the main sale.

Eric

Postby Eric » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:00 pm

justanta wrote:
Lot's of people think only scammers buy the presales...

Its not that we think only scammers buy the presales. I think our my general position is that peolle should not be allowed to use the presales as an insurance policy to mitigate the risk of the main sale.

fixed.

That said, I agree with your general statement, which is why I think tickets should all have the same printed price and that people who buy in the Pre-Sale should be blocked from the Main Sale.

However, this is not how Burning Man has set it up. It sucks, but there are always selfish people who will use a loophole, and Burning Man has left a loophole wide open. There is also no proof of which people selling their tickets are those assholes. It may be none of the people here, it may be 10%, it could be 80% - but there is no way to know. You're guessing based on your internal prejudices, painting the OP with the broad-brush of accusation when it's not necessarily true. It's like saying "all Jews are greedy", "all Muslims are terrorists", or "all white people are entitled assholes". None are true statements, even though there are members of each group who fit the stereotype.

Ranting against the situation is fine, just don't assume that everyone who's selling is that person, and just because the OP wants to make back how much he paid doesn't make him that person.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

justanta

Postby justanta » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:31 pm

Fair enough Eric. I think I've been wanting to rant about this and OP gave me an opportunity, and I definitely went a bit overboard.

However, I'm not willing to believe that even a sizeable chunk of the people who wanted to go bad enough to buy a $1000 ticket "suddenly had to cancel", which is why I am pretty sure most used the insurance method. But you're right, I don't know for certain and I don't actually know about OP specifically.

Eric

Postby Eric » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:33 pm

justanta wrote:However, I'm not willing to believe that even a sizeable chunk of the people who wanted to go bad enough to buy a $1000 ticket "suddenly had to cancel",

What "sizable chunk"? There were 5,000 Pre-Sale tickets, there are a total of 52 "tickets for sale" threads here, which means a max of 104 tickets, and not all threads are for 2 Pre-Sales (some are VP's, some are single tickets) That's less than 2.5%, which nobody would consider sizable. You can ignore tickets you see on third party ticket sites like StubHub, most of those don't exist (they're waiting for a sucker, then the sellers goes & tries to find a cheaper ticket to resell), and there's no way to know how many of the Craigslist posts are real and how many are scams (it's a prime site for scams). I'm not meaning to be confrontational, just trying to add a little clarity in a stressful situation.

I'm sure there are ways for the Org to even the playing field, even if they keep the higher tiers (*cough* single printed price on all tickets *cough*), but I've been watching ticket sales with the rest of the Mods since 2011 and for the most part the conspiracies are way out of whack with reality. Bottom line: 3-4 times more people want to attend than there are tickets, and there's no way to make more tickets. We've been at our population cap since 2012 (the longest the population has ever been stagnant), and unless BLM suddenly decides to loosen that population cap it's not budging. The ticket situation will get worse long before it gets better because more people want to attend every year. Even last years shitty weather didn't drive down the demand.

Hows that for off-topic? I think I'm channeling Debbie Downer today.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

justanta

Postby justanta » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:05 pm

Considering I used the 2.8% argument earlier, I don't really have much of a riposte to that, other than to baselessly doubt that the sales on eplaya are a representative number.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Elderberry » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:59 am

Eric wrote:Each camp is invited to the Directed Sale is given an exact allotment of tickets - those are guaranteed (it's not first come/ first served anymore). Those tickets are enough for a camps core set-up group (and sometimes not even enough for that), I don't know of any camps that have "spares" to give to buddies. I would guess that the vast majority of them stay within the camp if a person can't make it, and I know some camps that make that a condition for being able to purchase them in the first place. You can bet if someone got a camp ticket and then "buggered off" to another camp it would be the last year they had access to the sale through that camp. In this current ticket situation it's too valuable to be stupid with (though there are always people who are too stupid).

Exactly
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.

Return to “Tickets Discussion”