Pre-Sale & da Vinci Tickets vs Main Sale Tickets

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place.
Blue_Bike
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: As of 2017, Rootpile Bluegrass Camp

Pre-Sale & da Vinci Tickets vs Main Sale Tickets

Post by Blue_Bike » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:40 pm

The much discussed phenomenon of burners purchasing the premium priced tickets in the Pre-Sale or da Vinci sale to cover their buts then purchasing Main Sale tickets and re-selling the higher priced tickets has garnered a great deal of snark (which I often find creative and entertaining) and no small amount of hate (which I find a waste of time) on various message boards.

To those of you or to those you know who were not lucky in the Main Sale and can't really afford the full cost of these "premium" tickets but still want to attend this year, I have some thoughts that you may find helpful in getting to the playa this year.

1. Just as when someone buys ticket in the pre-sale, instantly pumping money into the Borg to help cover the cost of low income tickets, when someone buys a da Vinci ticket they are instantly supporting the art grants. This is the stated goal with the tiered ticket system. These "premium" tickets don't get you anything a Main Sale ticket does except the ticket without the crappy odds of the Main Sale and the knowledge that you are supporting something or someone beyond yourself or your own private world. Keep this in mind, by buying one of these tickets in place, one is gifting to the event.

2. Go to the aftermarket (right here on ePlaya is an excellent spot to try this) and locate the Pre-Sale or da Vinci tickets now for sale. Plenty of them now and likely plenty more to come.

3. Approach the seller, acknowledge the generous gift of support they have provided to the Burning Man Project by buying a premium price ticket.

4. Offer to split the premium subsidy with them, making both of you super stars by supporting the BM Project. If they purchased the BM tickets in the true spirit of Burning Man, they will take you up on the offer, selling the presale ticket for $640 + fees or the da Vinci ticket for $795 + fees. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by this approach.

5. If they take you up on your offer, you both have just demonstrated the true burner gifting ethic, and you both win.

6. If they don't, tell them politely "Fuck your burn.", forget about it, and keep trying.

This approach is bound to work for at least some of you still looking for tickets!
Fearlessly be Honest.
Honestly be Kind.
Tirelessly be Passionate.
Passionately be Creative.
Openly be Joyful.
Mindfully be the Person You Want to Be.

Blue_Bike
Camp Name: As of 2017, Rootpile Bluegrass Camp

Re: Pre-Sale & da Vinci Tickets vs Main Sale Tickets

Post by Blue_Bike » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:36 pm

Correction on my faulty math above: Splitting the "premium" paid for a Pre-Sale ticket in the aftermarket with someone selling one would make it $690 + fees, not $640 + fees. Sorry about my math error, crazy day here.
Fearlessly be Honest.
Honestly be Kind.
Tirelessly be Passionate.
Passionately be Creative.
Openly be Joyful.
Mindfully be the Person You Want to Be.

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:54 pm

If nobody bites at the asking price, they're going to come down more than that. People have been buying tickets through STEP, BxB threw in 500 more, LIT program is still open, and 1000 more in the OMG sale...

People are getting tickets sorted out and soon many will give up and make other plans all together. If all goes to plan, they will be subsidizing the burners who buy their tickets at far below presale and DaVinci face. Otherwise, they could hold on to those high dollar tickets and get no takers...I've seen it with my own two eyes.

BTW the OMG sale, in addition to having 1000 admission tickets is also featuring 1500 Vehicle Passes. In case anyone was wondering or had missed that part.

Don't pay over face for VPs, it used to be free...
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

justanta
Camp Name: Whore's S'mores

Post by justanta » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:09 pm

If nobody bites at the asking price, they're going to come down more than that. People have been buying tickets through STEP, BxB threw in 500 more, LIT program is still open, and 1000 more in the OMG sale...
This is already happening. Lots of the Pre-Sale and Da Vinci sellers have already lowered prices to ~800. I expect that will continue to dip until a week or so before the event and then MAYBE increase again as people finally give up on finding lower priced tickets.

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:53 pm

What happens when it gets that close to the event, is that people lose hope and decide to vacation elsewhere. The pool of hopefuls starts to shrink as people make other plans, or didn't get the time off work, or just lose interest. There's only a small percentage of people that can wait until that late to jump on a ticket and realign their schedules in order to make it happen.

P.S. There's a VP for sale that's been up well over one hour, and no one has even bothered to reply. What's that tell you about the current marketplace...
Last edited by Jackass on Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:00 pm

A lot of people have high hopes for the OMG sale. It might be harder to catch a bargain after the sale. That's when people bite the bullet and pay full price.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
You should start doing drugs, it doesn't mess you up as much. CaptG

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:08 pm

Tricky Larry could also decide at the last minute to throw all remaining DaVinci and LIT tickets into the OMG sale. I've seen crazier things happen...

Didn't they bump up the OMG ticket numbers last year or the year before, at the 11th hour?

Return to “Tickets Discussion”