Looking for a photographer for a personal photoshoot on the Playa

Building an art installation or mutant vehicle? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.
KK2087
Burning Since: 2016

Looking for a photographer for a personal photoshoot on the Playa

Post by KK2087 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:51 am

Hi all!
For me 2016 is going to be the first year at the Burning Man event. So I want to commemorate it and tell then my grandchildren of how cool it was! That is why of the reasons why I want to have a photoshoot there. I want it to be sort of crazy boudoir type, something like works of Ohrangutang but in funky clothes and in the desert.
Are there any photographers going to the Playa this year who could do that? I am not sure, how it is in terms of payment then as there are no financial relations between the inhabitants of the Black Rock Desert at the time.
Please, message me, I'd really love that to happen so much!
Thanks!

Sham

Re: Looking for a photographer for a personal photoshoot on the Playa

Post by Sham » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:51 am

Welcome to eplaya and best wishes on your first adventure to Black Rock City.

If you're bringing a camera, you'll find no shortage of great photo opportunities. You can always find someone willing to take your picture next to some amazing art. Those will be the best shots.

As far as trying to find someone and pay for a shoot, that really will never pan out. Your best bet is let things happen on the fly.

Yes, Burning Man is a no commerce event, but even if you try to plan and pay in advance for a photographer, you'll end up disappointed.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:29 pm

Wow, I didn't realize that going to Burning Man was such an act of self-importance.

Do you ever stop and wonder if your (grand) kids will ask you why you were wasting time posing for some professional photo shoot to "commemorate" yourself, and not just enjoying yourself out at the event?
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:16 pm

1) For a photo "commemorating" you there, look for the Black Rock Yearbook camp - they do pictures of people in their outfits . I believe those pix are available online, they also sell a book of the pictures (which is why I won't link to them). It will be their vision, not yours (think yearbook picture), but you'll get a really well done shot in an outfit. This isn't the sort of event where you bring a ... servant ... to document you, most burners would look extremely negatively at that & it would impact your burn.

2)
and tell then my grandchildren of how cool it was
You're putting the cart before the horse: rule number one for both newbies and jaded old-timers is No Expectations! You may hate the Burn; plenty of people come once and never again (or leave before the week is over) and you might be in that camp. There's no way to know until you get there.

Prepare yourself for camping in a harsh desert environment that's more than happy to kill you - read the back of the ticket - and let everything else just happen. Yes, there can be incredibly cool things out there. It can also suck ass and make you never want to come back. I know people who've only lasted a day or two and left, I know people who've gone once or twice & are now over it, and then there's those of us who get the dust in our blood and can't see not doing it (even though there's a guaranteed point every single year on-playa where even I swear I'm done).

breath deep, think about the realities of preparing for camping & survival, and leave the fluff for later.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:27 pm

I went to Burning Man five times before I ever even brought a camera.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:30 am

I've got 14 pictures I have taken at Burningman. 5 were taken out of boredom on gate road.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, once you hit camp, there are way too many blinkies and neat stuff. Cameras dont really capture it. Suggest you snap a few selfies against future need and then ditch the camera/photographer and simply enjoy your burn. If you MUST document your path, you will find many burners are happy to snap a picture or two for you. (And a few might even give you your camera back! Kidding...)

An odd truth about BM: anyone who hasnt been there wont get it, and those who have been there really dont need to see your pictures. :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:44 am

I'm voting for the casting of the bronze statue myself...
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

KK2087
Burning Since: 2016

Post by KK2087 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:08 pm

Eric wrote:1) For a photo "commemorating" you there, look for the Black Rock Yearbook camp - they do pictures of people in their outfits . I believe those pix are available online, they also sell a book of the pictures (which is why I won't link to them). It will be their vision, not yours (think yearbook picture), but you'll get a really well done shot in an outfit. This isn't the sort of event where you bring a ... servant ... to document you, most burners would look extremely negatively at that & it would impact your burn.

2)
and tell then my grandchildren of how cool it was
You're putting the cart before the horse: rule number one for both newbies and jaded old-timers is No Expectations! You may hate the Burn; plenty of people come once and never again (or leave before the week is over) and you might be in that camp. There's no way to know until you get there.

Prepare yourself for camping in a harsh desert environment that's more than happy to kill you - read the back of the ticket - and let everything else just happen. Yes, there can be incredibly cool things out there. It can also suck ass and make you never want to come back. I know people who've only lasted a day or two and left, I know people who've gone once or twice & are now over it, and then there's those of us who get the dust in our blood and can't see not doing it (even though there's a guaranteed point every single year on-playa where even I swear I'm done).

breath deep, think about the realities of preparing for camping & survival, and leave the fluff for later.
Dear Eric,
Thanks a lot for the advice. I am not a native-speaker, hence the mistakes I made in writing my post. In any case, thank you again for explaining the event spirit in more detail, and I think it's really wise to have no expectations. That's what I'm going to tune myself into, as I really have no clue what it is all going to be for me!

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:57 pm

KK2087 wrote:That's what I'm going to tune myself into, as I really have no clue what it is all going to be for me!
That's the attitude! :)
Read up on camping & surviving, let the rest happen naturally.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:06 pm

All transactions on the playa have to be in Bitcoin.

Corvus
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Poly Paradise

Post by Corvus » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:00 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:I went to Burning Man five times before I ever even brought a camera.
My experience was the opposite. My first three burns I brought three cameras and each was destroyed (None of them was expensive). I decided G-d was telling me something and have not brought one since. Immediacy, ya know.

Soul Patch
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: WMICC " Veggie Camp"

Post by Soul Patch » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:32 pm

In real life I never go anywhere with out my camera gear. I know folks can get caught up in all there is to see and photograph on the playa.
I made the decision last year to leave my gear packed until Thursday, so I was able to explore and meet folks, and just go with the flow. No plans. And it worked out very well. I'll do the same this year.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:48 pm

Eric wrote:. This isn't the sort of event where you bring a ... servant ...
Are you absolutely sure about that?

I bought a servant in 2002 (slave really) at TOA for a bag of oranges and a bottle of spiced rum.

He was delightful for a day!

Soul Patch

Post by Soul Patch » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:17 am

KK2087 wrote:Hi all!
For me 2016 is going to be the first year at the Burning Man event. So I want to commemorate it and tell then my grandchildren of how cool it was! That is why of the reasons why I want to have a photoshoot there. I want it to be sort of crazy boudoir type, something like works of Ohrangutang but in funky clothes and in the desert.
Are there any photographers going to the Playa this year who could do that? I am not sure, how it is in terms of payment then as there are no financial relations between the inhabitants of the Black Rock Desert at the time.
Please, message me, I'd really love that to happen so much!
Thanks!
Are you still looking for a photographer?

misfit
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: wish you were here

Post by misfit » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:31 pm

>>>>All transactions on the playa have to be inBitcoin.bacon<<<<
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.

Soul Patch

Post by Soul Patch » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:33 pm

Mmmmmmm, bacon

airheart_at
Burning Since: 2011

Post by airheart_at » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:21 am

interresting comments.. everyone has an opinion..

my opinion is, professional images are professional images and its totally OK to bring back gorgeous images.

I shot a lot there, weddings nude etc. If you are interested in a shoot pls. contact me with some details.

http://www.robvenga.com/burning-man/

and a wedding:
http://www.robvenga.com/burningman-wedd ... tographer/

cheers
XO

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:40 am

why not do this years holiday cards at the same time?

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frida Be You & Me

Return to “2016 Art & Performance”