Cheese Maze 2016

Building an art installation or mutant vehicle? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.
carefactornil
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Cheese Camp

Cheese Maze 2016

Post by carefactornil » Sun May 01, 2016 5:48 am

So, I'm going to be building another giant maze this year on the playa!

You might have enjoyed our "snow fence" maze of 2009. We helped with the Syncytium maze on Ring Road in 2010 and we built our favourite maze in 2012 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otHyjxz2W8U

This year will be the biggest and hardest yet. But a much simpler build as essentially it's going to be made with posts and bits of horizontal string making the "walls" so the whole thing is see-through. Except there's about 30 wooden bridges in it, effectively making it 2-story in a lot of places and will SIGNIFICANTLY make it harder than our evil 2012 one. The bridges are only 3' high so you'll be able to crawl under them and walk over them creating a myriad of pathways and yet not a single dead end.

The pics give you at least some idea of what it will look like visually.

We look forward to you getting lost with us!
CheeseMaze2016.JPG
CheeseMaze2016 aerial.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Cheese Maze 2016

Post by trilobyte » Sun May 01, 2016 6:57 am

Looks like a fun project! You guys may want to consider using rope or something thicker and heavier than string. That would make it easier for participants to see (some of them may be impaired in some way), and suitably rugged for the environment. Good luck with the piece, I'll keep an eye out for it out on the playa.

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Sun May 01, 2016 7:19 am

Awesome! I love a good maze

Suggestion? In the spirit of keeping Burningman potential lethal, how about using barbed wire instead of string! (Kidding... mostly)
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

carefactornil

Post by carefactornil » Sun May 01, 2016 8:33 am

trilobyte wrote:You guys may want to consider using rope or something thicker and heavier than string. That would make it easier for participants to see (some of them may be impaired in some way), and suitably rugged for the environment.
For the 2012 maze we used some tough high-vis cord (2-3mm) for the emergency exit "walls" (people could step through if they wanted to. That gave the idea for this one. They were all fine in terms of strength. Part of the idea here is that it actually LOOKS relatively flimsy. What we don't want is people leaning against the "walls" and I think if it's just this type of cord then people won't. The stronger it looks, the more likely people are to test that out, I've found with other builds. I saw people trying to climb the snow fence walls we used previously.

And we'll have plenty of fairy lights round the perimeter, hopefully all bridges too. And we'll string CDs round the outside of the maze which has always worked really well on other mazes as they reflect bike/torch lights well at night.

carefactornil

Post by carefactornil » Sun May 01, 2016 8:34 am

GreyCoyote wrote:Awesome! I love a good maze

Suggestion? In the spirit of keeping Burningman potential lethal, how about using barbed wire instead of string! (Kidding... mostly)
I really like this idea. We might look at tying little "barbed wire knots" along the cord and then possibly spraying it silver and see how it looks. Thanks!

A-RockLeFrench
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: BONERPILLAR

Post by A-RockLeFrench » Sun May 01, 2016 6:22 pm

so, where's the cheese?

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Mon May 02, 2016 12:25 am

I'm glad you guys have always been mindful of emergency exits. Part of the fun of a maze is a "trapped" feeling, but if that suddenly becomes overwhelming, not-fun, or dangerous, it's good to know a participant can flee.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

carefactornil

Post by carefactornil » Mon May 02, 2016 12:34 am

BoyScoutGirl wrote:I'm glad you guys have always been mindful of emergency exits. Part of the fun of a maze is a "trapped" feeling, but if that suddenly becomes overwhelming, not-fun, or dangerous, it's good to know a participant can flee.
Yeah, part of me was a bit bummed when I realised they were a good idea. But we talked to some people who built a completely wooden maze years back and they said some people freaked out in there and created their own exits by smashing through the walls. So we wanted to avoid that!

I like the fact that you can see completely through the maze and all the people inside it too - makes it interesting to watch from the outside and if your friends/kids are in there you can always see them and talk to them.

carefactornil

Post by carefactornil » Mon May 02, 2016 12:35 am

A-RockLeFrench wrote:so, where's the cheese?
That would be might playa name - see my avatar. I might throw my annual cheese & wine party in the maze this year just before strike as a way of enticing people to help take it down!

Molotov
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: ESD Camp "The 'Burbs" 3:07 and D

Post by Molotov » Mon May 02, 2016 9:05 am

If you recall last year's wood maze at the Man base, there were clearly marked quick release exit panels in various locations. ESD folks were walked through the maze and made familiar with the emergency exits.

My only suggestion? They should have put a porto inside since disoriented souls with a bladder emergency tended to piss on the walls. :evil:

carefactornil

Post by carefactornil » Mon May 02, 2016 9:18 am

Molotov wrote:If you recall last year's wood maze at the Man base, there were clearly marked quick release exit panels in various locations. ESD folks were walked through the maze and made familiar with the emergency exits.

My only suggestion? They should have put a porto inside since disoriented souls with a bladder emergency tended to piss on the walls. :evil:
Unfortunately I didn't get to see the Man maze last year - I'm based in London and don't get to go to BM every year. Missed the one under the man in 2006 (?) too. Bit gutted really as I really like mazes.

But with our maze being totally see-through and relatively easy to get out of quickly I don't think we'll suffer from that one this time! :)

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Mon May 02, 2016 9:23 am

carefactornil wrote: I like the fact that you can see completely through the maze and all the people inside it too - makes it interesting to watch from the outside and if your friends/kids are in there you can always see them and talk to them.
That caught my attention about this maze as well. I also liked the wooden bridges on a previous iteration for being able to call down (useful or misleading) directions to strangers.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

carefactornil

Post by carefactornil » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:27 pm

maze2016.JPG

is our fiendish final design! The shaded squares are bridges over a tunnel. You go over the bridge so that you're crossing OVER the lines in that cell. If you're going ALONG the shaded lines then you're going under the bridge. The dotted red lines represent the wall on top of the bridge. I'll post the solution soon. If you think you've done it, post the number of cells it took you to go through - there's only 1 correct answer and there are NO dead ends...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

carefactornil

Post by carefactornil » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:28 pm

I've posted about this in the share resources too but might as well add here:

I'm looking to see if there any other artists or camps going from Reno early who might have space for our stuff, rather than hire a van for what is a relatively small size.

It would HAVE to be on playa by some time on Wed 24th at the latest. We expect it to be ready to be transported back by some time on Monday 5th, probably by lunch and it might even be down by Temple burn time.

Sizes/Weights.

We have 340 metal poles that are 1" in diameter (hollow EMT) and 7.5' long. Weight = 1623 lbs.
We have 34 pieces of OSB that are 4'x4'x0.5", so a stack of 4'x4' that is 1.5 feet high. Weight = 816 lbs
We have 378 pieces of 2"x3" that are 4' long.
We have 530 pieces of 2"x3" that are 1' long. So total dimensional lumber put together would be 8' x 3.5' x 2'. Or it could be 4' x 3.5' x 4' if you stack it differently. Weight = 2040 lbs

So the total weight = 4,564lbs.

And the wood (OSB & dimensional) could be stacked as 4'x4' and 5' high (as one permutation).
Poles together would be 7.5' long and about 2' x 2'.
So a total of 130 cubic feet.

Questions welcome and any pointers greatly appreciated.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:10 pm

carefactornil wrote: I'm based in London and don't get to go to BM every year.

But with our maze being totally see-through and relatively easy to get out of quickly I don't think we'll suffer from that one this time! :)
Awesome. Loved the video. The fact that you are overseas makes it even more impressive.

Great work :-)
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:00 am

That's good be really cool!
I'd suggest arranging truck rental, that's NOT a small package to ask someone to carry!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

carefactornil

Post by carefactornil » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:16 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:That's good be really cool!
I'd suggest arranging truck rental, that's NOT a small package to ask someone to carry!
Thanks, Captain!

Yes, I realise this is going to involve some kind of truck - it sure as hell won't fit in my 30' RV. But I'm hoping I can do something like previously and share a truck with another camp/artist who have space for efficiency, cost and traffic reasons.

If anyone knows the artist/camp (EA folks in other words) ride share board (well, more materials share) then please point me in the direction of it. I'd offer to set one up if I was USA based.

carefactornil

Post by carefactornil » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:54 am

Just realised my maths was out on the final total size - it's 110 cubic feet, not 130.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:21 pm

carefactornil wrote:
Captain Goddammit wrote:That's NOT a small package!
Thanks, Captain!

Yes, I realise this is going to involve some kind of truck - it sure as hell won't fit in my 30' RV. But I'm hoping I can do something like previously and share a truck with another camp/artist who have space for efficiency, cost and traffic reasons.

If anyone knows the artist/camp (EA folks in other words) ride share board (well, more materials share) then please point me in the direction of it. I'd offer to set one up if I was USA based.

All I read was Captain saying you have a large package. :shock:
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Galaxo Magic

Post by Galaxo Magic » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:13 pm

That 2012 Maze was awesome! Looking forward to this one!
Elephant trainer to the MV Beau Le'Phant, the pink elephant!
Camp Upsie Dasium

ACfromSAC
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: SLAYER!

Post by ACfromSAC » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:43 am

The 2012 maze was one of my all time favorite playa projects. Looking forward to the new creation!

carefactornil

Post by carefactornil » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:23 am

Aw, thanks guys! This one's a bit different to 2012. On the one hand it's going to be bigger & harder to solve (glurk!). On the other hand it's more minimalist in construction and you can see right through it and get out easier. We don't have the moving doors this time but we DO have 30 bridges compared to the 7 in 2012! If you love a challenge and/or mazes, this should be right up your street!
Even better - for the first time we're keeping all the maze stuff for another year. That's been a challenge in the past, living in the UK. But assuming folks like this one then we can do something similar with the same materials in future years.

Just_Joe
Camp Name: Black Rock Weather

Post by Just_Joe » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:04 pm

carefactornil wrote: We have 378 pieces of 2"x3" that are 4' long.
We have 530 pieces of 2"x3" that are 1' long.
The longer pieces are cut and it only took 3 minutes!!
If anyone wants to come hang out In Carson City and do some cutting in my driveway over the next few days, c'mon down. I'd love the company.
Beers are on carefactornil.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:20 pm

Your so cool!

You're Joe Cool!
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Just_Joe
Camp Name: Black Rock Weather

Post by Just_Joe » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:29 pm

lucky420 wrote:Your so cool!
You're Joe Cool!
No, just Joe.
Tomorrow morning then? :-)
I gots a hankering for pork chops.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:01 pm

Hahaha :coffee:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:16 pm

Awesome video! Nice work
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

EGAZ
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Post by EGAZ » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:01 am

All I could think of was..... Tetris....

That's a lot of pieces!!!
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:31 am

Joe is that your super power? I'm tired just from watching you work.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
You should start doing drugs, it doesn't mess you up as much. CaptG

SaritaSyrah
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Post by SaritaSyrah » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:12 am

carefactornil wrote:
A-RockLeFrench wrote:so, where's the cheese?
That would be might playa name - see my avatar. I might throw my annual cheese & wine party in the maze this year just before strike as a way of enticing people to help take it down!
More importantly, when is the cheese and wine party? :shock:
BURN SHIT!

Return to “2016 Art & Performance”