Gifting some tunes!

Building an art installation or mutant vehicle? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.
adamkeni
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp Magic School Bus

Gifting some tunes!

Post by adamkeni » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:27 pm

Still trying to figure out things to gift on my first BM...

I'll be DJ'ing at my camp, but would love to offer my services to any camps looking to fill a slot or just want someone to pop in and help out setup their gear or chat!

I know, I know, there's a gazillion people DJ'ing but I'm thinking of bringing more than my usual house/techno tunes. Would love to do a trip-hop/ambient set or even a psychedelic rock set!

If anyone needs a hand, give me a shout! More interested in meeting up with different camps during the week than actually playing. :)

My mixcloud is Adam Keni

As an aside, how do people find DJ'ing there? I presume it's an absolute killer on any gear... Just planning on bringing a couple of USB sticks and a wallet of CDs... Will my cans get absolutely destroyed? I have a pair of the new Pioneer HD2000s would rather not have to put them in the grave after! :(

vargaso
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Re: Gifting some tunes!

Post by vargaso » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:22 pm

adamkeni wrote:
As an aside, how do people find DJ'ing there? I presume it's an absolute killer on any gear... Just planning on bringing a couple of USB sticks and a wallet of CDs... Will my cans get absolutely destroyed? I have a pair of the new Pioneer HD2000s would rather not have to put them in the grave after! :(
I'm not a DJ, but good rule of thumb on bringing any type of gear to the playa is, don't bring anything you'd be really bummed about if it gets ruined. Not that it's guaranteed to get ruined, it's just there's a very good chance it will.

adamkeni

Post by adamkeni » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:26 pm

vargaso wrote:
adamkeni wrote:
I'm not a DJ, but good rule of thumb on bringing any type of gear to the playa is, don't bring anything you'd be really bummed about if it gets ruined. Not that it's guaranteed to get ruined, it's just there's a very good chance it will.
Cheers, yeah that's what I was thinking. USB keys and CDs are obviously a dime a dozen so I don't care about them, just need to route out a semi-decent pair of cans I don't mind getting ruined.

I'll probably be DJ'ing very little and too very small gatherings so no point in ruining anything to play to 3 people :D

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:52 pm

adamkeni wrote:
I'll probably be DJ'ing very little and too very small gatherings so no point in ruining anything to play to 3 people :D
Maybe leave all you DJ stuff at home, which you may regret until you walk/bike by SEVERAL sound camps with DJ's playing to NO ONE, and then you'll be very happy you are not one of them.

There is a potential sadness in store for newbies to bring any kind of non-survival equipment with them, as what they think they will do with it out there (and hauling stuff there implies desire to use that stuff) precludes getting to know the event differently than if one has an agenda.

I had a virgin rideshare who took up large amount of my van with a foot powered sewing machine and bags of materials as she was going to make costumes out there.

Yeah,.....right.....it never left the van and she had a fantastic burn, apologized profusely for using my space as she thought she knew what she wanted to do out there.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:05 pm

DoctorIknow, That is the smartest thing I've heard all day.
There is a potential sadness in store for newbies to bring any kind of non-survival equipment with them, as what they think they will do with it out there (and hauling stuff there implies desire to use that stuff) precludes getting to know the event differently than if one has an agenda.
I can't speak for others but my idea of what I would do my first year was way off. 68,000 people. Several that aren't DJs. Leave your regular ol self at home. Come out to the playa and help put up a yurt, a monkey hut, a giant shade. Flop on a couch at Skinny Kitty and nap. Get up at 3 am and go dancing. See fire dancers, ride an art car, dress up and walk the run-way at Kostume Kult. Have a drink and be somebody. If you come back, next time you'll know if you want to DJ or not.

Thanks Doc.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:27 pm

I still bring a pocket journal. Never write in it until the ride home. That's when I read the WWW guide too.

adamkeni

Post by adamkeni » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:52 am

Well as I said, I'm DJing for our camp, so I'll be bringing that anyway. CDs and usb keys take up no space. :)

Return to “2016 Art & Performance”