Plug 'N Play: Art Installation is looking for burn perimeter volunteers!

Building an art installation or mutant vehicle? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.
sonicchang

Plug 'N Play: Art Installation is looking for burn perimeter volunteers!

Post by sonicchang » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:55 pm

Plug 'N Play is an art installation at Burning Man 2016, brought to you by D16orient and Plug4.

http://plug4.com/

Plug 'n Play is a tribute to the essential power of hip-hop and its foundational elements: Emceeing (oral) • Deejaying (aural) • Breaking (physical) • Graffiti (visual) • Knowledge (spiritual)

The sculpture is comprised of a large orange wooden electrical plug protruding upwards surrounded by 5 quad boxes, each its own gallery of a specific element of hip-hop.

During the week, we plug in: we explore & amplify the almighty vinyl record, the mic, and the crowd. We feel what it’s like to drop the needle on the record and physically engage with music.

On Friday night, Plug 'n Play ignites in an explosive electrical fire. The fire honors those we have lost including members of our extended family.

We need your support to make this a successful burn! Please join our Burn Perimeter Crew. And because it'll be more fun with friends, tell your friends to join as well.

https://goo.gl/forms/BpJHiIj5fnoBjkiY2

Thank you and see you at the Plug!

sonicchang

Re: Want a front-row seat to an explosive art installation burn?

Post by sonicchang » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:00 am

hey, i've noticed that some people have clicked on this but no response. maybe it's just not your thing, that's cool.

i'm open to feedback about why this is/isn't appealing... basically, we need to recruit 200 people for our burn perimeter, so i would love any input to help get my approach right :D

sonicchang

Re: Plug 'N Play: Art Installation is looking for burn perimeter volunteers!

Post by sonicchang » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:10 am

FYI, the name of our installation, Plug 'n Play, is meant to be tongue-in-cheek. :P

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:17 am

Relax, it's only been a day (and it's a busy time of year). I edited the subject line for clarity, hopefully that gets a few more eyes on the page for you.

A couple things jump out... first up, what kind of experience level are you looking for? Are you specifically looking for people who have worked the perimeter on a large burn, or are you planning to do some on-playa training for new folks who want to get involved? Also, what exactly is the time commitment? You should include your rough schedule in the public post so people can get an idea of what they'd be signing up for.

Planning-wise, yeah, you should have started getting the word out about the project and the opportunity for volunteering on the playa a while ago. It's not that people don't want to help, but awareness and boosting the signal are key....and now that it's August a lot of folks have either already made commitments or are in freakout mode trying to get 'er done. You may want to consider recording an announcement/PSA for the folks at BMIR, they may be able to get it on the airwaves in the weeks before the burn. A lot of people listen before they get to the playa (via the web stream or iheartradio channel), they may be able to help you connect too. You guys are probably already on top of this, but you may want to check in with the ARTery and FAST and ask about the burn perimeter volunteer group - I don't know if they have a mailing list or pool of potential helpers, but that could prove handy.

Good luck with the project, it really looks amazing!

sonicchang

Post by sonicchang » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:01 pm

this. is. me. relaxing! ha!

thanks for the input trilobyte.

we are looking for anybody who is willing to help. we can train. the primary objective of the perimeter crew is to ensure people who are there to watch the burn have a good time.

the time commitment is friday evening from 7pm until approximately 10pm. our burn is scheduled for friday at 9pm.

great idea about BMIR, will reach out to them. we're definitely working with FAST on perimeter volunteers -- we are one of the four largest art project burns and one of two with pyro, so we have a high recruiting goal. we are planning to do heavy recruiting on playa, and of course, we're reaching out personally to our friends and family as well.

"in freakout mode trying to get 'er done." :D

sonicchang

Post by sonicchang » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:37 am

Sign-ups are going well! I'm thrilled to see so many people who are interested to help out. Remember, no prior training is necessary!

For those who are thinking about it but haven't decided yet, stop by Plug 'n Play on playa. Our Perimeter leads will be holding office hours from Monday through Thursday from 2pm to 4pm to recruit more Burn Perimeter Crew.

See you soon!

Return to “2016 Art & Performance”