Looking for a DJ slot in a sound camp

Building an art installation or mutant vehicle? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.
mindbomb
Burning Since: 2014

Looking for a DJ slot in a sound camp

Post by mindbomb » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:37 pm

Lovely burners

Any sound camps (doesn't have to be big) have some DJ slots left?
Lookin to play a ~2 hours set of mixed goa/progressive psychedelic trance (pretty rare on the playa).

Need: time slot, sound setup, connections, DJ stage, dance floor. Bringing: DJ controller/laptop

Thanks!

A-RockLeFrench
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: TECTONIC

Re: Looking for a DJ slot in a sound camp

Post by A-RockLeFrench » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:43 pm

Do you do rock and roll?

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:14 pm

Or Metallica, Skynyrd, Floyd, Europe, Rush?
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:25 pm

I'm pasting my reply to another DJ, it holds for anyone asking. As you discovered last year, you need to make these things happen yourself, and the best way is on-playa connections. I have friends who've spent part of a day getting to know a camp and gotten slots, it can be done:
Eric wrote:Before you get too many anti-DJ comments, let me be completely honest: you will get somewhere close to zero gigs by posting on ePlaya, regardless how good you are or how long you've been doing it.

You get gigs at Burning Man by paying attention to smaller dance camps, finding ones that play music in the same vein as you, and getting to know people there. You schmooze. You talk. You see if they'll let you play a shift (never ever ever just walk into a camp you've never been in and ask if you can play - that would be like someone coming into your own personal space & saying they think they're better than what you have on). You come prepared to take the shittiest shift in the heat of the day to get your feet in the door. You have everything you will need to plug into their system - your cables, your own Serato box if you need it, CDJs, whatever (also: be prepared for it all to get wrecked, so don't bring your best stuff). Some camps will be loaded to the gills with equipment (and probably booked solid all week), some will have an iPod jack into their stereo. If you really want to play you come prepared to play anywhere.

All your past experience means nothing, unless your name is so world famous it's already filling arenas and getting asked to EDC (in which case you probably wouldn't be posting here). You start from scratch, prove you have the chops and the willingness to do the work, and next year, or the year after, you start getting gigs offered to you before the event.

How do I know this? Because my camp is filled with DJs, including some world-class names in our tiny sub-genre, and that's how they did it. They started with one on-playa party in 2005, the group collectively is up to 11 parties this year in BRC (so far) - plus one cute bar that's just spinning our music. We also got there by spinning in a genre that isn't common, but I know some house & techno DJs who pick up gigs by doing exactly what I described above. Burning Man is built on personal connections, get ready to connect to get what you want.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Little_Foot
Burning Since: 2015

Post by Little_Foot » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:34 am

Solid reply man, thanks for the info
Eric wrote:I'm pasting my reply to another DJ, it holds for anyone asking. As you discovered last year, you need to make these things happen yourself, and the best way is on-playa connections. I have friends who've spent part of a day getting to know a camp and gotten slots, it can be done:
Eric wrote:Before you get too many anti-DJ comments, let me be completely honest: you will get somewhere close to zero gigs by posting on ePlaya, regardless how good you are or how long you've been doing it.

You get gigs at Burning Man by paying attention to smaller dance camps, finding ones that play music in the same vein as you, and getting to know people there. You schmooze. You talk. You see if they'll let you play a shift (never ever ever just walk into a camp you've never been in and ask if you can play - that would be like someone coming into your own personal space & saying they think they're better than what you have on). You come prepared to take the shittiest shift in the heat of the day to get your feet in the door. You have everything you will need to plug into their system - your cables, your own Serato box if you need it, CDJs, whatever (also: be prepared for it all to get wrecked, so don't bring your best stuff). Some camps will be loaded to the gills with equipment (and probably booked solid all week), some will have an iPod jack into their stereo. If you really want to play you come prepared to play anywhere.

All your past experience means nothing, unless your name is so world famous it's already filling arenas and getting asked to EDC (in which case you probably wouldn't be posting here). You start from scratch, prove you have the chops and the willingness to do the work, and next year, or the year after, you start getting gigs offered to you before the event.

How do I know this? Because my camp is filled with DJs, including some world-class names in our tiny sub-genre, and that's how they did it. They started with one on-playa party in 2005, the group collectively is up to 11 parties this year in BRC (so far) - plus one cute bar that's just spinning our music. We also got there by spinning in a genre that isn't common, but I know some house & techno DJs who pick up gigs by doing exactly what I described above. Burning Man is built on personal connections, get ready to connect to get what you want.

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Post by mudpuppy000 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:43 am

We're not a sound camp but we will have a sound system and radio station broadcasting from our bar. (105.9FM) Orphan Endorphin @ 7:00 and C. Mostly open during daylight hours. No schedule, just drop by and say hello.

ACfromSAC
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: SLAYER!

Post by ACfromSAC » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:57 pm

Spreken ze Meshuggah?

Return to “2016 Art & Performance”