The 747

Building an art installation or mutant vehicle? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.
Sham

Re: The 747

Post by Sham » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:54 am

I actually enjoyed the 747 art installation. Keeping in mind that this is a work in progress, it was very cool to see the innards of a 747 and rest and relax in the lounge area. The night time lighting could have been better, but it will be improved next year, I'm sure.
I also got a chance to sit in the pilot's seat and imagined myself flying the plane---without any mood altering drugs. 8)

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:01 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:I never went in the lighthouses because I wasn't willing to stand in a long line for it.
That might be the Disney-est thing that's happening to Burning Man: long lines for the cool stuff.
See, the trick was to go up the left lighthouse that had the spiral staircase. There was virtually no line for that and the staircase was cooler too. Then you could enjoy the view from that light-house, enjoy a walk on the rope bridge, and have a shortcut to the main tower, bypassing the entire line. If you wanted to see anything the people going up the main tower saw you could take the going-down staircase, which had no line either, and you could hang out at any of the levels while people moseyed around.

I only learned that after waiting in line for the central tower, and then wanted to go into the second one.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Krokodyle
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans Too / Camp Space Hole

Post by Krokodyle » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:47 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:I never went in the lighthouses because I wasn't willing to stand in a long line for it.
That might be the Disney-est thing that's happening to Burning Man: long lines for the cool stuff.
Yes! *This* is the description I was searching for but couldn't formulate in my head. Thanks, CG
I can't help it, I'm a born lever-puller.

"DON'T TELL ME HOW TO BURN™"

vargaso
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Post by vargaso » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:53 pm

Dr Helix wrote: So my guess is that you might see less of the big art and more modest projects on the playa next year.
Fine by me. Hoping that includes less goddamn Kickstarters and GoFuckYourself I mean GoFundMe emails. Bigger ain't better, and maybe less selfie backdrops means less assholes.

That said, it's pretty funny to complain about a freakin' 747 in the middle of the desert that you get to climb around in, ha. So jaded we are. :)

Blue_Bike
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: As of 2017, Rootpile Bluegrass Camp

Post by Blue_Bike » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:16 pm

I enjoyed the 747 experience completely.

The ground and flight crews were really into their jobs. I like my wings pin, love that they helped me lose some baggage, now know where I am going this year (further), and look forward to receiving a post card from myself next year. On a hot and dusty day it seemed nice and cool inside, and one of the crew filled my cup with some delicious punch (that was indeed packing a punch).

I am told It will be bigger in coming years but no plans for complete wings and tail, as without the weight of the engines the playa winds could move it about the playa in an ugly way. I also heard that there are still plans for the 747 project to be a mobile art experience.

Whatever the coming years bring, I am glad the Big Imagination group is thinking big, I am grateful for their contribution, and I will look for them again next year. Special thanks to Admiralll White (admiral with three 'L"s) of the flight crew for the upgrade.
Fearlessly be Honest.
Honestly be Kind.
Tirelessly be Passionate.
Passionately be Creative.
Openly be Joyful.
Mindfully be the Person You Want to Be.

SquirrelHead
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by SquirrelHead » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:55 am

Ratty wrote: I was anxious to see the Last Apothecary so I went on Monday. NOTHING in there was attached to the shelves. I didn't go back because I had a feeling it would sour my memory of it. And it was fabulous!!
Ratty,
I saw the Last Apothecary later in the week and it was packed with stuff. I don't think anything had been taken from it. We spent a lot of time enjoying all the stuff that was in there.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

It's like a flamingo circle jerk up in here. - BoyScoutGirl

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:58 pm

I didn't get out much this year, but as a stained glass artist the Space Whale was really impressive.

They used for the most part true hand made art glass, not that cheap low contrast shit you see in mass produced pieces.

It was beautiful at night when illuminated, I never got a look in daytime but it was probably less impressive.

I loved it.

As for the 747 - I never encountered it, and photos seemed less than impressive. Yet most of the folks I talked to were impressed by their performance art so who knows what the future will bring.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:04 pm

I'm glad to hear the apothecary fared well.

Yes! The whale was magnificent at night. We stopped there during one of the major burns. (There was a couple nestled in the crook of a fin.) The sounds and lights were wonderful. We hadn't been able to enjoy it like that all week with the hubbub.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Return to “2016 Art & Performance”