Mayan Warrior

Building an art installation or mutant vehicle? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.
Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Mayan Warrior

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:03 pm

Lights, fire, lasers, and 75,000 watts of the cleanest audio out there, usually playing great sounding stuff ... hats off to the reigning King Of All Big-Sound Mutant Vehicles!! Sorry Dancetronauts, step off the porch with your shitty music played on a harsh sounding system.

Here's some video from 3:00 AM Saturday morning. Obviously it doesn't translate but if you play it through a halfway decent sound system you can almost pretend you're there.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Re: Mayan Warrior

Post by Savannah » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:12 pm

I'm looking forward to listening to that one from home . . . truly magnificent mutant vehicle; one of my favorites. :D
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

ACfromSAC
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: SLAYER!

Post by ACfromSAC » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:17 pm

Fully agreed. AMAZING on so many levels. Tip top. Good call, Captain.

ACfromSAC
Camp Name: SLAYER!

Post by ACfromSAC » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:19 pm

(and a very cool video, thanks for sharing)

asr9754

Post by asr9754 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:42 pm

I loved that thing this year. Some of the best beats on the playa and those upgrades to the Beast itself, so freaking cool. Also enjoyed hearing all the accents and different languages among the MW crowd.

kittyrodriguez
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: BRC-ESD Fire Camp Station 3

Post by kittyrodriguez » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:06 pm

Here, here. Mayan Warrior was awesomesauce this year!

We never really make a point to visit the big sound cars, but those twinkling lights and primal sounds had us walking clear across playa like moths to the flame. They definitely rocked it.

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:00 am

I don't even like EDM (gasp),
but this MV drew me in to touch the art and feel the boom from the speakers up close and personal. :shock:

Glorious Art, clean sound and yum.
Thank you, Mayan Warrior ... I kinda get it, now.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:43 am

Seriously, am I the only one offended by this cultural appropriation of a dead civilization? :shock:

I saw it on the live feed & wondered what it was.

Freaking Awesome!
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

ZigZag
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Fade to White

Post by ZigZag » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:48 am

Mayan Warrior had some of the best looks and best sound out there. It was totally captivating.

Another set that I really liked (though not a vehicle) was White Ocean. The towers with flame and the use of curve bank speakers combined with really clean loud sound was really impressive. Even the DJ stage was well designed, not just a box. , you could see the DJ from the ground and the visual gave a sense of focus. I heard they did not get all the towers erected but since I had no frame of reference, I still really liked it.

But what struck me was how well it sounded. It wasn't over amplified signal, the bottom was not raspy and loud, it was powerful and crisp (and loud), the mids came through without being muddled up and the highs were crisp and clear.

Yea, there were some good engineers running Mayan Warrior and White Ocean.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are" Joseph Campbell

Traveller in Time
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Post by Traveller in Time » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:33 pm

FlyingMonkey wrote:Seriously, am I the only one offended by this cultural appropriation of a dead civilization? :shock:

Freaking Awesome!
Check out Mayan Warrior no offense at all, paying respect to ancestors.

Indeed found several Tubes with acceptable audio. I always assumed the bad audio was due to the cellphones. Apparently also the sound system does its part in the tube sound.
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

Ano
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Post by Ano » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:02 pm

Definitely one of the top mobile sound-systems out there. A little bit harsh on the high end, but that's a given with the system they're using. The new emblem and the lighting were excellent, and their lasers they had running were just stupid. I spent a long time one late evening laying in the deep playa far from their car, watching the lasers cascade overhead and bounce of the mountains.

It's cool to finally see the MW get their day, they've been driving around since 2012 and they didn't get much recognition the first year or two.

On another note, anyone see Root Society's new art car this year? I don't think it qualifies as an art car... it's an art semi-truck-and-trailer. Absolutely massive, with incredible 100% hand-carved wood panels, somewhat reminiscent of David Best's temples. When I saw it rolling around out there, I couldn't believe my fucking eyes. Here's a picture of it, from Facebook (sorry if you're social-media averse: https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/ ... e=5847AA63

Absolutely stunning, with a great sound system as well. Not quite MW or RH level sound, but great nonetheless.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:51 pm

Traveller in Time wrote:
FlyingMonkey wrote:Seriously, am I the only one offended by this cultural appropriation of a dead civilization? :shock:

Freaking Awesome!
Check out Mayan Warrior no offense at all, paying respect to ancestors.

Indeed found several Tubes with acceptable audio. I always assumed the bad audio was due to the cellphones. Apparently also the sound system does its part in the tube sound.
Sorry, I'm so cynical sometimes people don't know when I'm kidding or being serious. Maybe I should start my sentences with (C) when I'm being cynical. Oh wait, everyone but Hillary knows that represents classified information,

I actually love what I've seen of the Mayan Warrior. I wish I could have seen it in person.

But according to some people unless you are actually Mayan you are appropriating their culture and somehow robbing them of their cultural identity. I usually disagree with that argument although I do think some things are in bad taste. Not the Warrior though. It's pretty cool.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:15 pm

What's REALLY cool is they pulled up alongside Robot Heart, the other best mobile sound system in existence, and synced up both systems.

Un-fucking-beatable beats.

AlakaLazlo
Camp Name: ...and then there's only LOVE

Post by AlakaLazlo » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:01 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:What's REALLY cool is they pulled up alongside Robot Heart, the other best mobile sound system in existence, and synced up both systems.

Yup. I caught that one too. EPIC sound! You really have to hand it to these guys. The Robot Heart crew is mostly from NY and the Mayan Warrior crew from Mexico. They bring these amazing vehicles with really stupendous sound systems to BRC, select great DJs, and throw all nighters that defy description. As an ex pro sound engineer, I can tell you that it takes some serious chops to design, build and maintain a system like this in a venue, let alone on a truck chassis in BRC.

I remember a huge sound camp back in (I think) 2001 called Crystal City that was on the 2:00 corner. The had an amazing sound system as well (I seem to recall the buzz being that it cost $2M), possibly the first really great sound system I recall hearing on Playa. But my recollection is that the bass wasn't nearly as focused or as tight, or the overall distortion as low, as either RH or MW were this year.

Thanks to both of these crews!

Ano
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Post by Ano » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:15 pm

It is not my story to share, but... if any of you ever get the chance to talk to one of the RH guys, ask them what the sound system is. It has a very cool story that makes it a bit more magical, I think.

We are absolutely and insanely spoiled in BRC to have these kinds of sound systems just driving around aimlessly for free. I have a very hard time telling people how incredible some of these set-ups are without dragging them out to the damn thing myself... and even then, it's kind of unbelievable to stand in front of a massive stack of speakers that is simultaneously so loud it is shaking you to the core, but clear enough that you can turn to the person next to you and speak in a normal voice. Absurd precision.

...and then two of the biggest ones decide to link up one night, just to be a bit extra ridiculous.

Hot damn.

Chowski
Burning Since: 2009

Post by Chowski » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:38 am

Default World Celebrity is the new Leave New Trace. Louder sound system Louder!

Skuzzy61
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Skuzzy61 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:09 pm

Damn. I never saw it or heard it.
I really would like to change the world, but I do not have access to the source code!
Duct tape is like "The Force"! It has a dark and a light side, and holds the universe together!

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:01 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:What's REALLY cool is they pulled up alongside Robot Heart, the other best mobile sound system in existence, and synced up both systems.

I really wish I could have seen that. Isn't that like the ghost busters crossing the streams?

asr9754

Post by asr9754 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:44 am

That was so freaking good. Must have been Weds or Thursday, mildy late night (maybe 1 or 2am?) Deep playa-ish, Robot Heart and MW were circling each other, doing a call-and-response with bass blasts. The cars themselves were doing a "dance" or a "battle" posture while in motion, they circled a few times and then settled in next to each other, MW clearly had the superior system and set, then they joined forces and nailed an amazing combined set. So good! That's the moment I fell in love with MW.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:22 am

By the way, I'm pretty sure the artists playing on Mayan Warrior in the video I posted at the start of this thread are AudioFly. Another reason it sounded so great!

galaxybeing
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Opulent Temple

Post by galaxybeing » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:54 am

I caught it on Saturday night and I was mesmerized! Wish I had spent more time at it. But I managed to shoot some VR video of it.

Looks best with VR goggles

https://youtu.be/Gq4memwRzJ4?list=PL2LH ... jxz-LPI4kp

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:36 am

Wow that's cool!!!!!

vargaso
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Post by vargaso » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:45 am

galaxybeing wrote:I caught it on Saturday night and I was mesmerized! Wish I had spent more time at it. But I managed to shoot some VR video of it.

Looks best with VR goggles

https://youtu.be/Gq4memwRzJ4?list=PL2LH ... jxz-LPI4kp
Amazing stuff. Closest thing I've seen to actually being there.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:59 pm

Keep Mayan Warrior coming to the playa: Don't build the wall.

TheDrunkValet
Burning Since: 2013

Post by TheDrunkValet » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:52 am

Anybody know the name/brand/company that makes those lasers mayan warrior threw on their car this year? Saw them in 2014 at bass henge and have been trying to figure it out ever since!

Traveller in Time
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Post by Traveller in Time » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:10 pm

Previous conversation about their beautiful LASERs
Art Car with white lasers??

Correcting op previous conclusion I think what we see are three masks between four output windows. The boxes have a single handle what makes them not matching any quad RGB system LASERs I can find.
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

Return to “2016 Art & Performance”