Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar - 2016

Theme camps and villages are the interactive core of Burning Man. This is the place to announce and discuss camp and village plans for Burning Man 2016.
Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Re: Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar - 2016

Post by Elliot » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:03 pm

With our DGS purchases safely in the bag, it is again time for an update.

First of all, almost all our campers are returning. There are four who cannot make it this year, but that’s nothing compared to the turnover in many camps, and in BRC generally.

Of the four, one is a Full Fledged Bicycle Technician, so that’s unfortunate. (He’ll be back in 2017.)
But… we have a whole handful new ones joining us! And among them is ePlaya’s own Dragon Pilot. (*the crowd goes wild*)
So our repair capacity will be significantly increased.

And the Healing Arts branch is still growing. The latest additions to the camp (yesterday!) bring the skills of massage – and bicycle repair, no surprise.

And then…. Get this: E-Playa’s own FIGJAM will be doing Emotional Tune-ups rooted in Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy. (*the crowd goes utterly berserk. Which may not be entirely rational. How do you feel about that, FIGJAM?*)

For all this expansion, more shade is being invented. (But how to pay for it?)

So... in the back office, fund-raising has begun. We hope to avoid paying commission to an online crowd-funding firm this year, by accepting donations directly. All donors will still receive schwag, and there will again be Loaner Bikes as upper-level “perks”.

Only negative I can think of is that we cannot bring as many Loaners as last year. (PM me now if you hope to borrow one.) I’m considering adding a second cargo-hauling vehicle, but that would be expensive. And it would require one more vehicle pass. Time will tell.

Finally, the odds and ends….
The Spencer-Tunick-inspired photo sessions are on. So far I have nine very light bicycles to “juggle”.
The Human Library idea seems popular (on its own thread). So I think that will happen, but I don’t know yet whether we have people in camp to handle it. Reckon we can provide the venue, though.

Finally, finally…. The Letter-to-Self letters from last year were mailed recently – at the six months mark. There were 50 of them. I had to research most of the largely-illegible addresses and then type labels, but I didn’t mind, and the interweb makes it downright easy. In fact, I believe ALL of them went out with correct addresses. Thank you, Uncle Google and United States Postal Service.

Onward!

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:45 am

"And then…. Get this: E-Playa’s own FIGJAM will be doing Emotional Tune-ups rooted in Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy. (*the crowd goes utterly berserk. Which may not be entirely rational. How do you feel about that, FIGJAM?*)"

I may not agree with the berserkishness, but I can easily ACCEPT it as a starting point!!! :wink:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Raoul
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Honest MiSteak

Post by Raoul » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:03 am

Elliot wrote:Volunteers to participate are invited!
Count me in for the calendar shoot!
"No problem is ever solved in the same consciousness that was used to create it." --Albert Einstein

Honest MiSteak: 2018
Hookah Lounge\Black Rock Power Co-op: 2014 - 2017

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:33 am

Wonderful, Raoul! I have started a list, and will follow up closer to the event.

isbutteracarb
Burning Since: 2015

Post by isbutteracarb » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:54 am

Elliot wrote:.
More musicians at Elliot's Piano Bar & Lampshade Emporium.

Do you happen to know the guy with the guitar? My friend got of picture of him when we were at the Museum of Weird Stuff (don't think that was its exact title)

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:14 am

I will try to find out.

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:00 pm

Sorry, the photographer does not have his name.

But.... You say museum of weird stuff.... Could that have been Killbuck's SIDESHOW - Carnival of Smoke and Mirrors? If that's the camp, and this guy belonged there, then I may have a clue who he is, and we could certainly ask Killbuck.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:31 am

fm160322.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:01 am

Hmmmm.... Strap Leonardo's Wing to a bicycle? Yeehah! :lol: :lol:

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:11 pm

:D
...Piano Bar 2016; Two pianos, no waiting.
Or, at least we have a spare.

1956 Kohler & Campbell New Yorker, drop action, 400 pounds tops. Seems to play all right. A bit grimy -- I'm cleaning the keys now. Needs only leg-reinforcement and new wheels, methinks.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:21 pm

Ammo for the flaming piano catapult!!!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:45 pm

It's a possibility! :lol:

gahb13
Burning Since: 2013

Post by gahb13 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:30 pm

Hi. Looks like I might be able to make it this year after missing last year. If I can make it I'll be camping with my friends (a few returning and a few new) in the burner express area, but would love to come brand volunteer my basic bike repair skills. Like last year I might persuade some of my group to volunteer as well if you think you could use them.

Also, if I make it to the burn I'm volunteering for the photo shoot.
-Guy from Canada

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:29 am

Great to hear from you again, Guy!
We can definitely use additional repair skills. And the photo shoots are definitely happening -- the more people the merrier.

arcteryx
Burning Since: 2010

Post by arcteryx » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:53 pm

Hi Elliot!!
I signed up for a loaner bike on your website. What's the earliest I could pickup the bike? Thank you very much for what you're doing, life would suck without a bike!!

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:26 pm

Hey Arcteryx ! (Gesundheit! :wink: )
Thanks! I will PM you.

All matters of fundraising on ePlaya are subject to the Terms Of Service; and the Overview: Fundraising on ePlaya posted by the Administrator in the Support A Project branch of ePlaya -- which is the only place on ePlaya where fundraising, or even references thereto, is allowed.

Accordingly, we avoid mention of such on this thread. Your cooperation is appreciated!

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:02 pm

Singing For Scaredycats

Tuesday August 30, at 11 a.m.!

At a certain bicycle service facility!

Yes indeed... everybody's favorite singing coach, ePlaya's own Gaminwench -- also known as JAYE! -- will hold one of her famous singing workshops at our camp. The date and time is now carved in stone; Tuesday at 11 a.m..

This will take place in one of our shaded shop spaces -- either the main shop or the do-it-yourself shop.

Singing For Scaredycats
lasts around 1 1/2 hour, so we may open an hour late for bicycle repair that day. We will compensate with free ice-cold beer and ice-tea.

Here's a hint: Study the standard musical scale:

And learn it forward and backward, because you are going to sing all kinds of variations of it, such as this random example:

Don't worry -- just learn it the best you can. Jaye will lead you thru it. And then she replaces the do-re-mis with words, and you will be amazed how you can sing!

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:43 pm

WOW!

Thanks, Elliot!
I've not had a prep sheet for SfS before; I like it!
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:04 pm

There you have it folks! The practice tip is approved by the educator herself!

maryanimal
Burning Since: 2011

Post by maryanimal » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:42 pm

silas thatcher wrote:
maryanimal wrote:My foot washing salon will be back and better than last year! It was a success and people came for a respite from the sun and wind! Thanks to everyone who helped make it great! I'm going to give my salon a name this year.Not sure what it'll be but I'm doodling a design!

mary. were you by chance the camp near rod's road and 4:00 ???
No, it wasn't me silas thatcher! :D
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:37 pm

This Saturday, July 23, is PedalFest in Jack London Square in Oakland, CA.
Tons of cool bicycle stuff, but mostly in the high-zoot price range.

In sharp contrast to the big-bucks machinery.... My friend Peter, clumsily assisted by Yours Truly, will have his Whymcycle circus going all day. Some of his creations are static display only, but children are invited to ride a dozen or two of them. Mayhem routinely ensues.

Looks like Peter will be in our camp this year, with a few select Whymcycles. He hasn't burned since 2010, so he may be slightly surprised at how we have developed. :lol:

ChuckLohre
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Earth Guardians

Post by ChuckLohre » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:21 pm

Hey Elliot, I might need help with my DaVinci Flying Machine if it gets a flat tire. Take off speed is predicted to be 88 mph! Looking forward to meeting you and the camp with my friend Andrew and sister Susan. It's our first Burn. Image

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:51 am

Hey Chuck!
My first thought is... are those wheels and tires rated for 88 mph? You cannot expect to grind to a reasonably-safe halt with a failure. You would dig into the ground and probably cartwheel.
Other than that.... Delighted to have you onboard!

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:30 am

You could share the trees off to reduce rotational mass and centrifugal force.
88mph takeoff is pretty fast. I hope your stall is under 60.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:46 pm

Have I been neglecting ePlaya lately?
That would be because.... Full panic is currently in effect. :wink:
Building wider shade:

Working on the thousand other things.

Millicent goes back to the shop in Santa Rosa tomorrow morning -- I think. Still the king pins and related steering parts, yes. They believe they have the correct pieces now. The shop is fabulous! But suspension parts for a 24 year old school bus are not everyday items.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:50 pm

Good luck with the repair work, Elliot.... here's hoping they've gotten all the right parts for that make/model/year.

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:02 pm

Thanks, Trilo!
It turned out that.... The axle and related components are not the standard pieces that the axle-manufacturer sold to most truck-factories. Rather, the Blue Bird school bus company ordered some of these parts to their own specifications!

Blue Bird, of course, is such a big buyer of components that they can do that, if it pleases them.

Luckily, the shop tells me they found the complete list of every part (the "build sheet") Blue Bird installed.
The local Blue Bird dealer tried to print that list for me nine years ago, but they weren't very computer savvy, and I wound up with a severely truncated document.

Of course... this is of somewhat peripheral interest -- and only because Millicent is the "anchor" of our camp.

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:40 pm

Of more actual camp-related interest is....

NAKED MAN 2016 at Laguna del Sol.

Assuming Millicent does not get stranded in the shop all week....

I plan to set up a tiny version of the camp next weekend at the annual Naked Man event.
This takes place at the Laguna del Sol clothing-optional resort/club in Wilton, about 20 miles east of Sacramento, Friday August 5 - Sunday August 7.

Although not affiliated with the real thing, they make a good attempt at honoring Burning Man thru good-natured imitation. The resort's owners are Burners themselves, and I ran into a number of other real Burners there last year.

With all the trees and grass around, they must limit fire to a few propane puffs, but look at the photo of their "Man Burn" -- they use water instead!

One might ask... (since these things do matter!)... whether the resort makes money off the similarity between their event and "the real thing".
Well... it's a commercial campground, and they must earn a living. But they never use the words "burn" or Burning", and the imitation elements are clearly respectful of the real thing. So as I view it, there is no problem -- it's "fair use". (As a writer, I tend to think in terms of the "fair use doctrine".)

Admission is NOT unrestricted. While membership is not strictly required, day visitors must pass a background check and whatnot. And this will not be possible on this busy weekend.

But I wanted to mention here that our camp will be represented at Naked Man. And I will be keeping an eye out for real Burners with bicycle skills. :D

knobdyspcl
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Existential Crisis

Post by knobdyspcl » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:57 pm

Hey Elliot, you ever get any farther south to Glen Eden or Olive Dell? or hit any of the nude beaches south of Santa Barbara? I love Bates beach and just hope we can keep it nude. Haven't made it to Laguna del Sol yet and will keep an eye out for Naked Man next year.
Mir
the next man burns in 399 days
An existential crisis is a moment at which an individual questions the very foundations of their life: whether this life has any meaning, purpose, or value.

Sham

Post by Sham » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:19 pm

knobdyspcl wrote:Hey Elliot, you ever get any farther south to Glen Eden or Olive Dell? or hit any of the nude beaches south of Santa Barbara? I love Bates beach and just hope we can keep it nude. Haven't made it to Laguna del Sol yet and will keep an eye out for Naked Man next year.
Are there broken bikes there for him to fix?

Return to “2016 Theme Camps & Villages”