BLACK ROCK CITY AIRBRUSH Body Paint

Theme camps and villages are the interactive core of Burning Man. This is the place to announce and discuss camp and village plans for Burning Man 2016.
jake-a-saurus
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Black Rock City Airbrush

Post by jake-a-saurus » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:28 pm

Howdy ya'll, Jake-a-saurus here.

I need some advice, input, etc.

I'm the founder of Black Rock City Airbrush, I have been doing this theme camp since 2009. (2007 and 2008 I was with Bloop/Space Virgins just doing a little airbrush here and there)

What we do is airbrush t-shirts, bodies, you-say-it-we-spray-it. We invite participation, we teach you how to airbrush and body paint. We have great music playing in our airbrush booth, we have foam swords to keep the people in line occupied, we have shots we give out, we have a riding crop we pass around for people to spank each (consenting) other with. We even have a megaphone to entice people with clever banter, bad pickup lines and bad jokes.

However, I am not sure if it is me, or the change in the burning man culture, it seems people wait in line for us to paint them and leave.

not may people want to get in on the 10 principles. Its become "people waiting in line at a star bucks."

I guess I'm asking, how do make the airbrush booth fun again?

lil back story:

From 2009 to 2012, I had people jumping into the booth to help paint, Asking me to teach them how to use a double action airbrush, people gifting me and other artists in the booth; beer, kisses, hugs, high fives, coconuts, tequila, reciting me poems, telling me funny stories, bad jokes, gifting necklaces, people hooking up at my booth, Painting the person next to them in line[Big one for me], dancing, compliments, interaction, etc.

The last few years its been a little different. People only stand in long lines get painted and go. I don't want to paint anyone! I want everyone to participate and paint themselves, along with honoring other principles of burning man.

How do I get that interaction back? I want participation, how do I send that message to the person who hasn't been to burning man 8 times and may not understand the 10 principles and how they make burning man burning man?

please be kind and constructive in your responses

thanks

Jake-a-saurus

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Re: Theme Camp Rescue: Black Rock City Airbrush

Post by Elliot » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:32 pm

Standing in line is a mind-numbing thing. Could you have some of your people work that line? Some good actors who can get people into the creative and theatrical mood. Maybe show people some cardboard templates of designs they can paint on each other when it's their turn. It may wind up being something entirely different, but a couple samples might get people thinking up their own designs.

Match people up while they are still in line -- you can paint this on... you!

"How would you like something like this design on your belly? Yeah? Who wants to paint this person?!"

"Oooo... that shirt you're wearing is in desperate need of some paint! Who has an idea for up-styling this shirt?!"

The power of suggestion is mighty.

I'm thinking this could replace the foam swords and whatnot -- which are good and well, but do not get the folks into the mindset of painting each other.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:59 pm

Last year I saw TorriSmith making titanium swag. It was very popular and the line went like this...OK you folks need to form a group of 5 or 6 people and stay together from start to finish. Oh, and tell the people behind you to do the same. This encouraged group interaction and did away with the 'line' mentality. We could wander around the area and just keep an eye on our progress. We stopped first to get our little metal men. When our groups turn came up we fired them on the torch then we strung them on cords for necklaces.

If you have several steps in the process you could use this to get them picking out designs and painting each other. When they're all done their last job is to go show off the new paint and help the new people in line form some groups. It would be great to have at least one person doing crowd control, (and shamelessly hustling drinks, swag, hugs etc.)
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:18 am

Ratty wrote:...
... When they're all done their last job is to go show off the new paint and help the new people in line... ...
Yesssssss!

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:11 am

This is what gloom, doom, and the beginning of the end looks like!
All is lost.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:17 am

Sounds like a fun camp! What you might want to consider is taking a page out of PolyParadise's playbook. They're the folks behind the Human Carcass Wash. The way they do it is that you stand in line, and before you get washed you wash others.

Maybe by simply changing the formula so that everyone in line must first do some airbrushing (on a person, shirt, etc), that'll get both their participatory and their creative juices flowing. That would also shift your efforts into (or back into, as the case may be), an instructor and guide to others. It might also get people a little more interested in paying attention to the people getting painted (or getting stuff painted) ahead of them - either to watch how new people do or to pick up on some skills.

Good luck!

jake-a-saurus

Post by jake-a-saurus » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:43 am

Brilliant idea!

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:51 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:This is what gloom, doom, and the beginning of the end looks like!
All is lost.
In a sense, to some extent, the Event is a victim of its own success, in that it now attracts people with a wider range of mind-sets – not only those who “get it” right away.

While this can be viewed as a bad thing, perhaps we can choose to view it as an opportunity – a “teaching moment”.

I have always felt that first-timers ought to “apprentice” with – be coached by -- seasoned hands. It sure worked for me.
This is mandatory in Theme Camps – there is a section in the Theme Camp Questionnaire about “acculturation” of newcomers.

But a camp will be visited by Burners of all stripes.
It takes a bit more effort to acculturate folks who are at the very first step of the ladder. But I think we know how to go about it, and the rewards will be even richer for all concerned. :D

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:46 am

I agree with Elliot. Growth and inclusion of a wider range of people does pose new challenges for acculturation... but I think it's definitely worth tackling those challenges.

15 years ago, just the process of finding out about and preparing for the journey was an adventure in acculturation all on its own... and by the time those people got out into the desert, they were already pretty indoctrinated. Today so many more people are coming out, and with information pretty available they're able to figure out the basics and get out there on their own... it's not that they're bad people, it's that they just don't know. I think that if we can help 'em get started, they'll do great things.

asr9754

Post by asr9754 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:03 am

We've found that our "events" earlier in the week are more personal/intimate/involved while things on Th/Fri/Sat tend to get more "wait in line and go". Because people that come for just the last weekend might be first-timers, or just not a plugged into the participatory aspect that you are trying to cultivate, and because there are just so many more people by weekend #2.
So a suggestion might be to host some of your art activities earlier in the week to create the community that you're seeking.
Are you posting events in the printed booklet and digitil guide? I think many people actually do use those guides (esp now that they are downloadable) so be aware how you describe your event and what type of experience people are expecting.

And it sounds awesome! I'll look for you guys.

FloridaTimmy
Burning Since: 2013

Post by FloridaTimmy » Thu May 12, 2016 7:42 pm

Your camp honestly sounds so badass. I'm a designer by trade and I make art for fun to pass time. I have this little collection of like, 1-2" cast resin monster figurines, and I've always wanted to learn how to airbrush, as an alternative to painting them by hand. I make eyeball magnets too, and have always wanted to try that out. I would love to come watch and learn a lesson. Perhaps you could convince a few others who also know how, to have multiple "stations" within the area, offering different things. Body painting, teaching, art painting, etc? I really like the grouping idea presented above.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Fri May 13, 2016 2:41 pm

Oh, this is easy.

If you are a guy and just want to be a tourist and get airbrushed without participating, you have a choice of two designs:

1. Airbrushed Tits on you chest.
2. Airbrushed Vagina right smack-dab in the middle of your sternum. Hopefully you got some chest hair to complete the vision.

or both.

For the ladies, you get a big old wrinkled sagging all turkey necks and gizzards...

1. cock
2. balls

or, maybe both for the really confident.

But then again, I'm kind of demented ...

jake-a-saurus

Post by jake-a-saurus » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:50 am

haaaaaaaaaaaa

I'm going to bring stamps to make the non-ten-principles people go away fast.

All in all great tips

They told me we are on 8 and C this year. I think being off the beaten path will finally give me a slower and more intimate experience with folks that want to participate at the booth instead of lining up.

jake-a-saurus

Post by jake-a-saurus » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:24 pm

Your favorite burners Scorch and Jake-a-saurus are back this year for Burning Man 2016!

Located near [b]8:00 and C,[/b] next to Party Naked Tiki Bar

Black Rock City Airbrush is providing the worst airbrushing and body painting on the Playa!

Come by and show us that Burning Man is BETTER because you showed up. Please Participate!!!!

especially come by if you are a new airbrush artist, Jake-a-saurus has 12 years of airbrushing experience to share with you.

Learn the Double Action airbrush, The SIngle Action Airbrush, use of stencils and become familiar with different types of body paint

We also offer Poetry Reading, Bad Jokes, Life Coaching, Cheap Booze, Spankings, Foam sword fights, Shameless Banter and mono logs on Megaphones, Consenting Hugs and smooches all day long

We Promise Nothing. BURNERS WHO FOLLOW THE 10 PRINCIPLES WILL BE PAINTED! PLEASE USE YOUR CREATIVITY!

FAQ's

"I'm not an artist though" [[ IF you have a pulse and opposable thumbs you are!!!]]
"But I was next...wft..." [[Please ask how you can help, please show you are honoring the 10 principles of Burning Man and you will be gifted!!!]]
"How long does the paint last?" [[ All day if you don't rub or touch it, Sex gets it off right away (I'm serious)]]

We love being gifted, Beers, High fives, Bad Jokes, funny playa stories, one liners, quips, poems, and human canvases to create one-of-a-kind art work with.

Music: Punk Rock, 80's Hair metal, EDM, top 40, and old school hip hop.

Any Burners in Gilligan Island costume theme see Jake-a-saurus

Search my old posts!

jake-a-saurus

Hard Body Female wanted for Bad @$$ Body Painting!

Post by jake-a-saurus » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:52 pm

Anyone want to be body painted? anyone...8 and C this year.

Jake

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Re: Hard Body Female wanted for Bad @$$ Body Painting!

Post by maladroit » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:57 pm

How did it go last year? Did you have to sit there and paint yourself?

SaritaSyrah
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Post by SaritaSyrah » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:10 pm

I've got a delightfully squishy body, and I love body paint. I feel like I would have a really hard time cleaning myself off without getting moopy, though. Maybe just some really cool airbrushed face paint? I'd get down on that.
BURN SHIT!

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:12 pm

Hip, hip hooray for Jake.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

SaritaSyrah
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Re: BLACK ROCK CITY AIRBRUSH Body Paint

Post by SaritaSyrah » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:20 pm

This thread is delightful. Cant wait to come paint and be painted with you guys! woo!
BURN SHIT!

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:39 pm

Moderator note: I've merged the new posts from the 2015 event into this thread.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

jake-a-saurus

Post by jake-a-saurus » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:00 pm

Anyone want to bring some music to play on my stereo, I have a blue tooth reciever?

jake-a-saurus

Post by jake-a-saurus » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:32 pm

jake-a-saurus

Post by jake-a-saurus » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:36 pm

jake-a-saurus

Post by jake-a-saurus » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:49 pm

Here are some more photos from last year's burn.

Imagepicture sharing

Imagescreenshot tool

Imageupload image

Imageupload images free

spacetime
Burning Since: 2014

Post by spacetime » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:40 pm

I knew this sounded familiar. Glad to see a pivot away from the 'hard body' search.

tara
Camp Name: Soul Palace 4:45 and G

Post by tara » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:47 pm

What's the addy of your camp? I want to come visit neighbor'ish!!
"We all shine on....like the moon, and the stars, and the sun." xo

jamestkirk
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Airport Village

Post by jamestkirk » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:19 pm

i think i'd really like to drop in and create this:

Or this:

-KIRK OUT
Loss of life is to be mourned, but only if the life was wasted. -Spock

misslotus78
Burning Since: 2000

Post by misslotus78 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:53 pm

jake-a-saurus wrote:Anyone want to be body painted? anyone...8 and C this year.

Jake
Lol,

Not so sure about the hard body part...I'm looking forward to meeting you guys though:) Will bring some latex body paint. Any other supplies that you recommend? :)

Cheers,

Kristin

Skuzzy61
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Skuzzy61 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:49 am

Ok, here is a thought from a birgin who has zero social skills.

If there is a concern people are not really getting into what Burning Man is about, then why not ask those who would be painted to name one of the ten principles and what they are doing to support it?

I know, it requires some thought and therefore could be incredibly boring.

Maybe I need more coffee.
I really would like to change the world, but I do not have access to the source code!
Duct tape is like "The Force"! It has a dark and a light side, and holds the universe together!

jake-a-saurus

Post by jake-a-saurus » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:06 am

We will be painting out of a plywood booth on
8:00 and C. If you see a party naked tiki bar you are warm...

Return to “2016 Theme Camps & Villages”