Camp Magic School Bus 2016

Theme camps and villages are the interactive core of Burning Man. This is the place to announce and discuss camp and village plans for Burning Man 2016.
gl1986
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: The naughty bench

Camp Magic School Bus 2016

Post by gl1986 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:20 pm

Camp Magic School Bus was created by a group of fun loving artists, musicians, wanderers, builders and festival designers. Christened in playa dust our 4 school busses are everything your parents warned you about and we’re here to help you make some poor life choices!
The camp is a fun loving community, we put emphasis on openness and inclusion. Our shaded communal space is protected from dust storms by our four school busses and provides a quiet space within the mayhem to sit down and really get to know your fellow burners.
We’re an eclectic group of “craic” loving creatives who don’t take ourselves too seriously. Our event space will host various gifting experiences throughout the day and will become a 90’s hot spot to kick off your party. We’re channeling Irish house party vibes! We plan to give back to our playa community by helping you get ready to take on the biggest and baddest playground in the world!
This week long experience is one hell of a journey, join us as we relish the whole experience and treasure those moments. Drop us a mail for a chat about our camp and how you could fit in and we will send you our camp info Our camp is currently full and we are no longer looking for additional members, but hope to see you on the playa!

Tjitske
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp Fuego

Re: Space for 10 newbies in our camp this year...

Post by Tjitske » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:26 am

Hi!

I would like to hear more about your camp! I'm going to Burning Man for the first time this year, and traveling by myself. So I would love to join a camp. :)

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:54 pm

Sounds interesting. Please tell us more about yourselves and the 4 school busses. Must have been a lot of work to build them.
  • Are your PnP? or do we have to work?
    Will there be Sherpas?
nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...

Purplemonkey
Burning Since: 2010

Post by Purplemonkey » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:39 am

Hey ya,

Your camp sounds absolutely perfect and I'd be really interested in joining.
This will be my second burn after a 6 year break. I'm coming over from UK solo, same as last time, and I'd love to join a theme camp. Of course I could help out on site with anything and everything required.
Be great to hear more about your camp and if/how I could fit in.

gl1986

Post by gl1986 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:59 am

Ulisse we are most defiantly not plug and play , we do have dues that cover two meals a day lovingly prepped by our camp members !

Drop us a mail guys at camp.magic.school.bus@gmail.com and we can send you a camp application &some more info to figure out how you could fit in to the camp .

gl1986

Re: Camp Magic School Bus: Space for 10 newbies in our camp this year...

Post by gl1986 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:51 pm

Sent you a mail t

Chowski
Burning Since: 2009

Post by Chowski » Wed May 18, 2016 1:09 pm

Hey Magic School Bus - your infrastructure sounds amazing. I am curious if you've been successful getting placement. Based on your description of your camp, I can't discern the interactivity you are offering, other than a shaded chill space, the very thing that placement says is not enough to get placed. So, besides charging dues for a meal plan, what are you offering the community? Hope this doesn't sound too snarky, I'm really curious.

gl1986

Post by gl1986 » Mon May 23, 2016 12:34 pm

Hey Chowski,

Last year we build a 25 ft high Garden bench & installation which you could climb on as a viewing platform, seat , chill out area it was made from reclaimed wood from a barn , with grass around the base and was shipped from London...I cant figure out how to attach a picture..It was on the corner of 8.15 and B

This year we are doing a large balloon and disco ball installation with light projections...we also have a range of activities going on in camp during the week ...bodypainting, twister, Tinfoil hat dinner and a few more

Chowski
Burning Since: 2009

Post by Chowski » Mon May 23, 2016 4:41 pm

Ooooh! That sounds great! I just re-read my post, and it sounded so much snarkier than I meant it to. I'm going to come check you guys out this year!

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Mon May 23, 2016 4:53 pm

Are the tin foil hats provided, do we bring our own, or do we have arts and crafts time together in constructing them beforehand?
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

ALF
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Melmachians

Post by ALF » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:46 am

Nice to hear from you guys, we were on the same block last year. Did you find a way to take that trailer loaded with your 70 to 100 plug and play bikes and the five 250 gallon water containers home with you and back to Ireland? Or at least to a dump or storage? Because we when we left the playa on Wednesday morning post event your trailer was still sitting in the same place the edge of your camp. The Rangers came by multiple times to investigate and told us that you were a international plug and play camp that had 'issues'. Check your moop rating also. Red means bad if it's your first year and your learning. Figure it out next time and don't leave until all your bullshit is gone. A 30 foot trailer of moop is not what anyone wants to deal with. Good luck finding customers to fill your camp this year. Also did you guys do anything last year? Or was the table your interaction?

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:50 pm

That seems like a fair question to me ALF. We'll see if the OP cares to elaborate, or discuss...
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

gl1986

Post by gl1986 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:43 pm

Your very quick to jump onto some judgement there alf without knowing the facts... What camp were you in?

We left Tuesday after our hitch broke on the trailer something unavoidable and got back for it on thursday to collect it with another vehicle.

It was not moop, we were delayed getting it out.

We also got left with piles of broken bikes approx 40 that people added to our trailer of cargo after we left, something we dealt with ourselves , fair enough the trailer must have looked like some form of collection point- it wasnt.

We had a lot of interactivity and provided a space for a lot of campers in our spare ground who payed no camp fees what so ever... check the schedule for the list of our events if it interests you.

We can take healthy criticism but you should get your facts straight before you start having what seems to be a bit of a snark. A lot of people worked their ass off last year to make our camp happen , it wasnt perfect but everybody tried their hardest and there wasnt a 30 ft trailer of moop left behind , nor were our bikes somehow plug and play

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:51 pm

I think that given the circumstances (leaving post-event with a bunch of gear behind and even BRC rangers not knowing what was going on), ALF's question was reasonable. And 3 weeks to answer seems a lot less like active participation in the community and more like periodically checking in on a placed ad.

gl1986

Costume evening

Post by gl1986 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:30 pm

Hey guys ,

We plan on hosting a costume afternoon on Tuesday this year , we have gathered up lot of stuff , if anyone wants to bring some more along and get involved were going to kick off at 2 on Tuesday, we will post more details here as we figure them out ..

trilobyte
Site Admin

Re: Camp Magic School Bus 2016

Post by trilobyte » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:18 am

At gl1986's request, I've edited the thread title and first message to reflect that they're no longer looking for members. Congrats to the new folks on the team and good luck with the camp!

gl1986

Post by gl1986 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:13 pm

Here is our final list of events for 2016 ...xxx

MONDAY
Monday – 10am – 12pm
Burner induction morning! Camp members will be invited to BM induction morning to welcome first timers and returning burners to the Playa. This will be held for CMSB members but will be open to anyone who wishes to learn or brush up on BM rules, MOOP, camp interactivity, survival skills, gifting, ethics, personal boundaries and introductions to your playa family. The morning will finish with a revitalizing Yoga session led by Sinead, Gary and Dee to prepare for the coming week!

Monday – 12pm
Making Do Do! Come join us for morning of making in the camp. Costumes, pimping out those BM essentials (like goggles) and make-up will all be covered in this session. Some crafty pieces will be supplied but don’t be afraid to bring along some fancy bits...we’ll turn them into lovely stuff! Carrisa, Holly, Daena, Hannah and Nicole are our crafty ladies leading this event.

Monday- 2-4pm
Come and let us dress you, we have clothes old, new borrowed and blue gathered up throughout the year .... Prepare to look ridiculous! Lorcan, Kristina, Matt, Ross will have you looking only gorgeous!

Monday 4pm
Now that you’re fully dressed and ready. Prepare for your very best walk off. Competition is on! Karen, Josh, Kathrine Diaz and Co will have you walking off in style in no time.

TUESDAY

Tuesday 4 - 5pm
Drunken Ted Talks
I’m sure you’re familiar with the infamous Ted Talks, where experts in their field, professionals and passionate aficionados take the stage for 20mins to about a topic of their choice and dawn a wave of enlightenment of their audience. Well at CMSB we would like to put our own twist on Ted Talks, seeing as the majority of us are from the Emerald Isle. We will encourage shots of whiskey, offering a platform for guests to speak passionately (and drunkenly) about a topic of their choosing keeping in mind each guest only has 6mins. Let the drunken, enlightened rants commence! Want to give a talk come find Alan and they will get you on the schedule. Lee, Roy, Michael, Lior and Oren will be our panel of motivators.

Tuesday - 5pm
90's kid's games will be making a comeback in a big way with spin the bottle, Red rover, truth or dare, Limbo stick and 7 minuets in heaven. Followed up with a 90's sing-along featuring classic hits from, The Spice Girls, Madonna, Britney etc.! It's going to get cheesy. 90's weightlifter Mc Hammer pants will be given out (take a pair, leave your own) to fellow burners and we'll round up the night with some impromptu dance offs!

WEDNESDAY

Wednesday - 3 - 4pm
Illumination Tarot Card Reading
There is a certain something about the energy burners experience at burning man, if you’re interested to see how your week might go on that playa. Our in house tarot angel Carrisa will be reading tarot cards to help illuminate your journey over the course of the week.

Wednesday -5pm till late!
To get those creative juices flowing we'll be hosting a variety of bad house party drink games. Buckfast hour of power, Tin foil hat competitions and Kings followed by some Bottoms Up - shots in and asses out party! RnB classics and some dry humping will be highly encouraged. Free Will Smith masks will be handed out to get people moving! Vashek, Becca, Alexandra, Kenneth, Alexander, Harry, Louise and Chris will gently guide you into some groovy RnB tunes.

THURSDAY

Thursday - 4 - 5pm
Prince Sing Along Social
This year we lost one of our very nearest and dearest in music, Price he gave us sex appeal, he gave us Goosebumps, he gave us purple rain! And what better way to celebrate his life then over a sing along social over some of his best known tracks. Let us laugh, cry, dance and sing over the man himself.
Beth, Rachel, Fiodhna, Scott and Nancy are your ring leaders for this occasion!

Thursday- 5pm
We'll be hosting our Y2K lights out party. Celebrating a time when we thought the world of technology would end as we know it. We’ll be turning out the lights and handing out the glow sticks. It’s gonna get spacey!
Damien, Larry, Adam, Farzad and Atrem and his boys are you’re Captains on this voyage.

FRIDAY

Friday - 3-4pm
Father Ted Lovely Girls Competition
There are only few simple rules to the lovely girls competition, have a lovely bottom, don’t get distracted by all those handsome bachelors and perfect your walking skills. So dawn your finest wig, shortest skirt, beards, unshaven legs and wildly eyebrows highly encouraged. Thomas, James and Connor will be your lovely judges and MC’s for this soiree!

Friday - 5pm
Good Friday Camp Party
A Father Ted inspired evening with dirty Priests & Virgins Mary's. We'll be gifting Priest collars and disco rosary beads to attendees. Hop into our make-shift Confessional box to recant your sins of the past few days with Sam, Ailish, Matteo, Gert, Alexis, Kaya, Ross, Nikita, Dave are the hosts with the most.

SATURDAY

Saturday – 12pm
Reuse, recycle and re imagine!
At the end of every burn there are many items of clothing and costumes etc. that have run their course in your life time however this does not mean that they have to be discarded! We’ll be opening up our communal party area to facilitate the big swap. Come drop your unwanted pieces and pick up some new threads! Stay for a boogie and chat! Emily, Sarah, Justin, Alan B, Waltar and Louise will lead this jamboree!

Saturday - 1pm
Cuddle Party
In a faced paced singular lifestyle that we all live in our concrete jungles we often forget just how important human touch can be. Releasing crucial amounts of oxytocin into our bodies the happiness drug. Come experience human touch with your fellow burners in a safe space. Feel free to give and receive massages, hugs, head rubs, spooning and handholding. Our Max , Ashlee , Mike and Tama will be leading this session.

shimdaddy
Burning Since: 2012

Post by shimdaddy » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:41 pm

You guys sound like a great bunch.. I know your probably not placed... sometimes that's a plus... any idea what area your shooting for? so I can look you up. Definitely will find you!

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:54 am

Once you've gotten to the playa and have locations sorted out, you may want to send a campmate to Playa Info (adjacent to Center Camp), where they can enter the camp location. That way others can find them. In the meantime, +1 to what shimdaddy asked... if you guys have a destination section of the dial in mind (3ish? 9ish? etc) feel free to mention that here so people interested in some of the awesome stuff on your list can try and find you in the dust.

Return to “2016 Theme Camps & Villages”