Settle This Like Men seeking instructors

Theme camps and villages are the interactive core of Burning Man. This is the place to announce and discuss camp and village plans for Burning Man 2016.
uncle sticky
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp Settle This Like Men

Settle This Like Men seeking instructors

Post by uncle sticky » Wed May 11, 2016 4:21 pm

We've got mats, we've got shade, and we want you~!

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu classes and open mat are at 11:00-1:00. We're offering late afternoon striking classes too, and are looking for muay thai/kick boxing instructors. We'll have some gloves, pads, heavy bags, for stand up classes and sparring.
Other times, we're open to people who want to offer a class but lack space. We have a nice padded floor, shade, and about a 20 x 20 space. Yoga, exercise, interpretive dance, whatever you like. If you're going to be doing more adult oriented stuff, please plan on cleaning the mats before and after your class. Staph in the pooty is no fun.
The handbasket to hell is leaving. Hop in world!

GrassCuttingSword
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: PolyParadise

Re: Settle This Like Men seeking instructors

Post by GrassCuttingSword » Mon May 30, 2016 8:01 am

My background is predominantly kyokushin karate rather than thai boxing, but I know a few of the long count drills that Ajarn Chai teaches, from playing with the guys at the Minnesota Kali group. Could be fun to play with.

headshota
Burning Since: 2016

Post by headshota » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:31 am

Hi Folks, this is my first time at Burning Man, coming from Europe. I'm practicing Jiu JItsu/Grappling and would be glad to join the classes. Also do some basics instructional if it's required (I'm not a high level belt).

uncle sticky
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp Settle This Like Men

Post by uncle sticky » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:51 pm

So right now we've got 11 a.m. Jiu Jitsu everyday. There will be some instruction, some open mat free rolling. Really depends on who shows up. Last year, we had everything from newbies to Black Belts, so class got tailored on the fly. I can promise there will be jiu jitsu!

If folks want to teach their style, we're offering space for that . I'll most likely be teaching some really basic Muay Thai in the afternoons, and we'll have sparring after that. I'll have some sparring gear, heavy bags, striking mitts.....

If you're interested, let me know, and we'll reserve space and time.
Also, if you want to do some kind of workout, yoga, whatever, we have space for that as well.
The handbasket to hell is leaving. Hop in world!

White Bronco
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: WHITE BRONCO

Post by White Bronco » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:05 pm

This is awesome...see you guys there:)

I would love to hit mits and roll a little.

-CLUTCH:)
If I say I'm going to do it, I'll do it. :coffee:

White Bronco
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: WHITE BRONCO

Post by White Bronco » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:07 pm

I can offer some BASIC wrestling technique for some of the new BJJ guys if they are interested. Optional stances, low intensity takedowns, and some mat mobility exercises.
If I say I'm going to do it, I'll do it. :coffee:

tiensinoakuma
Burning Since: 2016

Post by tiensinoakuma » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:15 pm

I'm interested in joining this camp and serving as an instructor. I have 15 years of Taekwondo experience and 1.5 years of Muy Thai experience. I'm a Virgin Burner so I'm not sure if this is how I should be joining camps or not. Let me know if you're interested in my help!

Return to “2016 Theme Camps & Villages”