2016 Map and street names: Now with parking

Theme camps and villages are the interactive core of Burning Man. This is the place to announce and discuss camp and village plans for Burning Man 2016.
retropsycho

Re: 2016 Map and street names: Now with parking

Post by retropsycho » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:12 am

No reaction to 3:00 and 9:00 Ice Sales moving from B back to more centrally located G?
I will not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone . . . there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:47 am

The purple shading is like a slow moving blob. Eventually if you're not in a placed camp you'll be on the outer ring. Last year G street was either flagged or filled 5 days before the gates opened. I'm just hoping they haven't flagged H street this year. It looks a little shaded.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
You should start doing drugs, it doesn't mess you up as much. CaptG

Tiahaar
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Post by Tiahaar » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:37 pm

So did the street namer's knowledge of Italian words end at F? ( Guild is close, should be Gilda I suppose...mandatory snark post, thank you) I think we lowly denizens of the outer roads deserve better ;-)
Burning Man 2003-17; Desert Carillon, HypnoHorse, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech, 747 Project
Starship Palomino

Tiahaar
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Post by Tiahaar » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:22 pm

I should add that there is no J (with rare exceptions) or K in the Italian alphabet they say, heheh. But still, we could have had Giovanni/Giuliano, Hyginus ( H is kinda rare too, have to go back to Roman times), Ignazio/Imola, Jesolo, K...hmmmm... Kappa! :D , and finally, come on, Leonardo ought to have been a shoe-in for L.
Burning Man 2003-17; Desert Carillon, HypnoHorse, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech, 747 Project
Starship Palomino

MyDearFriend
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:13 pm

trilobyte wrote:Actually, the DPW Ghetto is just a fairly small space in comparison. Almost all the container space camps between 5 and 7 are just that, camps. I know more than a few people who work for Burning Man year round and who are on site for plenty of time before and after the event that either camp inside one of those container boxes, or that their camp is built in and around the containers.
Can't they at least run strings of solar lights along those walls and spray-paint "Effigare Yer Day" in large friendly letters???
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

Mr Gizmo
Burning Since: 2015

Post by Mr Gizmo » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:06 am

Is there an official "unofficial" map showing placement of placed camps yet? I'm looking to see what other great camps are nearby ours and finding camp locations of long lost friends of yester-burs.

Krokodyle
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans Too / Camp Space Hole

Post by Krokodyle » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:52 am

MyDearFriend wrote:Can't they at least run strings of solar lights along those walls and spray-paint "Effigare Yer Day" in large friendly letters???
"Effigare Yer Day"...love it! :D
I can't help it, I'm a born lever-puller.

"DON'T TELL ME HOW TO BURN™"

Eric
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:10 pm

Mr Gizmo wrote:Is there an official "unofficial" map showing placement of placed camps yet? I'm looking to see what other great camps are nearby ours and finding camp locations of long lost friends of yester-burs.
The closest you'll get is general locations, because that's all that camps have right now. If you look at the "O'clock" threads, camps that want to post their location are doing so, but it's all really vague. I haven't seen the google-map doc thing that's been around the last few years pop up yet.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Leap
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Big Puffy Yellow

Post by Leap » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:24 pm

If you're on Facebook search for "Burnermap". It took a little getting used to but it has some helpful features like listing camps in alphabetical order or by address. The map part is rather shitty, IMO.

Mr Gizmo
Burning Since: 2015

Post by Mr Gizmo » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:48 am

Thanks. Was hoping a more formal placement map was alive & kickin' by now.

bigbluedoggy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge 3D

Post by bigbluedoggy » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:31 am

Really, only if you're a Placer.
A plan is what you vary from.

Destiny Lounge has been proven to cause cuteness in small kittens.

Destiny Lounge 3D - located at Esplanade and 3:00 Portal for 2018!

Dr. Brap
Camp Name: Camp Chirp Chirp

Post by Dr. Brap » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:48 am

Ratty wrote:The purple shading is like a slow moving blob. Eventually if you're not in a placed camp you'll be on the outer ring. Last year G street was either flagged or filled 5 days before the gates opened. I'm just hoping they haven't flagged H street this year. It looks a little shaded.
Yeah, what is the deal with everything being flagged? I was one of the very first to come in when the gates opened last year and practically EVERYTHING on the left side of BRC was flagged except for K. Some looked like further land grabs from theme or plug and play camps and some were just vast roped areas with absolutely nothing there except for rope. My impression was that when the gates open everything in the white areas on the map is up for grabs but clearly that was not the case last year.

If I want to avoid K do I have to find someone with an early entry pass to rope off a spot for me? Thoughts?
Burn Burn yes you're gonna Burn.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:14 am

No roping off spots! Don't try to be a douche. Besides, from 6:00 street to 10:00 street it wouldn't work anyway. Sunday morning at 12;01 if you're not occupying said space it will be taken over by someone else. No amount of rope, caution tape, or even tarps will save your land grab in the desirable neighborhoods. (As it should be).

FYI As the gates are opening, people that have been there for days are grabbing a better spot. Is it fair? I dunno. Is it fair to make the Early Entry crowd camp so far back? I dunno? I did pick a spot as they opened one year but that was a year they allowed early entry up until the gates open. I hadn't even set up yet. I just waited till they opened and drove over to C street.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
You should start doing drugs, it doesn't mess you up as much. CaptG

Dr. Brap

Post by Dr. Brap » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:41 am

So screw the rope? if I'm there at 12:01, like I will be, yank a clearly unoccupied rope and set up?

Dr. Brap

Post by Dr. Brap » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:10 pm

Here's an excerpt from the Burner Express FAQ page. It pretty much sums up the situation:

Q: If I arrive on Saturday where may I camp?
If you’re not part of a placed camp, You may ONLY camp between G Street and L Street outside of the blue flags. Blue flags in the ground mark off reserved camping-do not camp within blue flags. You are welcome to camp in HOVerlandia at 6:15 and I, a dedicated reserved space for those arriving via the Burner Express Bus. You are also not allowed to hold space for people that have not arrived yet. If you are found holding space, someone from the Placement Team will move your belongs and remove any markers or boundaries you have set up.

https://burnerexpress.burningman.org/bu ... s-bus-faq/

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:07 pm

BoyScoutGirl wrote:...New for this year is a parking lot along the outside edge of the 9 o'clock side...
This shows the official parking is being used.
2106 BRC - ring road parking geting good use.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:57 pm

I was on K street this year, and was afforded a large parking lot of cars at streets edge right at the intersection of 6:15 and K. 32 vehicles at least. STREET FRONTAGE!!! Not in overflow parking up around 9:00. It shouted to me that "this isn't part of the city, and fuck you if you want to camp here." The Burner Express bus depot was also on K at this intersection, for the entire block to 6:00. I think they could have a location on L at least, not inside the city to listen to diesel engines never shutting down. I also learned that Burner Express runs their own PA or megaphone directed "virgin" ritual of dust angels and the bell, bell! BELL!!
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

Return to “2016 Theme Camps & Villages”