Camp Envy 2016

Theme camps and villages are the interactive core of Burning Man. This is the place to announce and discuss camp and village plans for Burning Man 2016.
Professor Pickle
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Desert Wizards of Mars, Tsunami

Camp Envy 2016

Postby Professor Pickle » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:40 pm

all-you-can-eat-buffet...

always un-official...

http://www.campenvy.net

click the random link above...
"comfort the disturbed, disturb the comfortable"

Professor Pickle

Camp Envy is YOU

Postby Professor Pickle » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:41 am

We can be found all over the planet...Those who wish to go to the burn, but can't for whatever reason...
It doesn't diminish our desire to connect, explore, and have a good time...
Which is why I'm working on a beacon to point you to where you might want to go to connect with other burners off-playa for special events and such.,..

In that theme, we have several options for you (I wasn't kidding about the buffet thing).

CampEnvy.Org and CampEnvy.Net

Some members of Camp Envy are heading out to the California desert this weekend to see some shooting stars...
join us on the SPECIAL EVENTS page...

SO, what are you up to?
We'd like to post events that YOU have planned, or unplanned and share them with the rest of the tribe...
contact me here or at professorpickle42@gmail.com

see you in the dust...someday...

P_P

danibel
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Re: Camp Envy 2016

Postby danibel » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:43 pm

Hello Professor Pickle! Any idea when the stream will start this year? I would love to see the lighting of the caldron on Monday. :D

any other details (location of cam, chat) would be so fun to hear!

XO
In dust we trust.

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Postby burner von braun » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:11 pm

I hear ya danibel, I kinda like the opening ceremony where all of the camps march onto the playa one at a time, with loud sound camp music playing majestically in the background. It almost brings a tear to my eye. And then that solemn moment when El Pulpo Mechanico carries in the playa torches..

*sniffles*

Lu_bird
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Virtual Camp Envy

Postby Lu_bird » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:47 pm

Looking forward to another adventure. Thank you Prof Pickle, sir!

Professor Pickle

Postby Professor Pickle » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:40 pm

I'm sorry...I had to pick myself up from the floor...that was pretty good...

Happy to see you back for another round this year...

No news yet about the cam.

In the meantime, here is a list of things we don't know:
    if there will be a cam
    where it will be, even though it's been near first camp since 2009
    if we will be able to control it with .cam directions from the chat room
    if it will ever return to ustream
    if it will return to YouTube, despite the cost
    if the cams will be in 4k and 3D
    if it will be hosted by Ryan Seacrest
    if a third party will step up and provide cam services
    if the drone cams will return with hellfire missile accessories
    if the TEDx conference will be broadcast live
    the unladen airspeed velocity of a swallow
    if The Man will spin wildly off the wheel and crush the thunderdome

Things we do know:
    whatever happens, happens for a reason
    surprises are rarely any fun
    the revolution will not be televised
    sun will go up, sun will go down...kidding...the earth rotates because it is round...take THAT you flat-earthers!
    wherever you go, there you are
    yes, a 747 will be coming to the playa...at least part of it...
    I broke three toes with a sledgehammer within the first hour of arrival on playa in 2013...yes they were my toes
    I will let you know anything significantly juicy right here...

while we wait, pass along any good rumors heard out by the trash fence...

the beginning is near!...

Professor Pickle

Postby Professor Pickle » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:28 pm

The new sites have been revamped to aid in your participatory and spectating pleasure...
enjoy...
http://www.campenvy.net or http://www.campenvy.org

Professor Pickle

Postby Professor Pickle » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:50 pm

"Each year the Temple is the emotional centerpiece of Burning Man. It is a unique, special work of art given to the community and is a spiritual refuge where thousands gather, each to engage it in his or her own way." thetemplecrew.org

When my beautiful black lab/pit bull mix was laid to rest last week, it broke my heart. I wanted to send a special message to honor her in the Temple. This year at CampEnvy.org, we have provided a space where you can anonymously send your message to be delivered directly to the Temple by one of our Camp Envy members on playa. We accept submissions until Sunday morning. Visit us at http://www.campenvy.org and click on the Temple link at the bottom.

Consider supporting the Temple with a pledge. https://connect.clickandpledge.com/Organization/burningmanproject/campaign/temple2016

Professor Pickle

Postby Professor Pickle » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:11 pm

It's Thursday...
That time when you are feeling a little burned out, but still have enough energy to make it through...
I'm beat and need more sleep...maybe more water...beer counts, right?...

The Camera Operator
The Burning Man webcam is operated by motorbikematt. A marvelous person and fellow member of the Desert Wizards of Mars.
He is going above and beyond this year by taking us on a personal tour of the playa, narration included. It's no easy trick to be able to show you live video from the playa. A team of talented individuals are required to pull it off. Motorbikematt is supported by the people who climb the tower to put the camera in place, the network operations center (NOC), and others.

Consent and Privacy
The foundation for bringing images from the playa to the world is built on two main principles, consent and privacy. The people featured on the webcast cannot be identifiable unless they have expressly granted consent. As a private event and not a public one, everyone on playa is entitled to a reasonable amount of privacy. Audiences range in age and appropriate content needs to be considered. If you screenshot a moment on the camera, consider the audience and how the person would want their image used. It's just good common sense to ask first before you take someone's photograph. Those same rules apply here.

BMIR
BMIR is not the soundtrack of the YouTube live broadcast due to licencing and copyright restrictions. As you may know, YouTube has very strict policies about allowing copyrighted content. Even music playing in the background of an interview are grounds for a DMCA takedown notice. To listen to BMIR, follow this link HERE

Click the link below to join us on that magical journey. Share your screencaps, photos, memories, and experiences through any of our many chat rooms, play rooms, and links...Dusty hugs to you, and I hope to see you all out on the playa...Prof. Pickle

CampEnvy.Org

vargaso
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Postby vargaso » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:05 pm

Just piping in to say the live stream has been incredible this year. The clarity is amazing, even when zooming WAY in. You can read signs people are holding and make out faces in mid playa. Crazy. Kudos to motorbikematt!

motorbikematt
Camp Name: Media Mecca

Postby motorbikematt » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:29 am

vargaso wrote:Just piping in to say the live stream has been incredible this year. The clarity is amazing, even when zooming WAY in. You can read signs people are holding and make out faces in mid playa. Crazy. Kudos to motorbikematt!

Thank you!

Joeln
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Joeln » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:03 am

vargaso wrote:Just piping in to say the live stream has been incredible this year. The clarity is amazing, even when zooming WAY in. You can read signs people are holding and make out faces in mid playa. Crazy. Kudos to motorbikematt!

Absolutely concur! 2014 and 2015 were my first burns and the live stream has been my nourishment this year off.
Collapse first and avoid the rush

Canoe

Postby Canoe » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:36 am

Live stream cam getting a cleaning before the Burning of the Man tonight.
Around 4:12pm Saturday.

"My favorite people are the people of the dessert", said Lawrence as he picked up his fork.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

FlyingMonkey

Postby FlyingMonkey » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:15 am

Looks like the live stream just went down. I guess they have to pack up too :-)
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Doctor VonBacon
Burning Since: 2013

Postby Doctor VonBacon » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:32 am

The whole live stream crew did an outstanding job this year. I especially liked the narration by MotorbikeMatt.

A tremendous "Thank You!" to all involved.
I like eggs.

HeatRash
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Camp Envy

Postby HeatRash » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:19 pm

Super impressed and appreciative of all that MotorBikeMatt did, keeping the cam up and running, literally running back and forth to the Temple yesterday to get Camp Envy's messages and remembrances in, in time.

MBM I hope you have been or will be able to recapture the sense of the Temple burn that you had in previous years, my heart goes out to you for what you were saying last night.

I did manage to see the Captain this year, lmk I can post a couple of 'caps. Plus he said that El Pulpo Mecanico won't be back, so I got one last screen cap of EPM at the end.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:46 pm

I didn't talk to Duane this year, so I'm unaware what the future plans for the El Pulpo Mechanico are. Maybe I'll catch up with him today if he's still around.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

FlyingMonkey

Postby FlyingMonkey » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:38 pm

motorbike Matt & everyone that pulled off Camp Envy did an AWESOME job this year. I hope I never have to watch their live cast again (I mean that in a nice way) but If I ever have to stay back again I will be glued to Camp Envy. I always like to volunteer with someone that has a positive impact on the event. Having said that.....How can I volunteer with Camp Envy next year???? I can clime a tower like a monkey (go figure).

Woot woot. You folks rocked it for the home crowd!!!!!
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Professor Pickle

Postby Professor Pickle » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:27 am

THANK YOU!

We at Camp Envy are so grateful to have been a part of this year's burn. Your messages will be read by all the people involved in the broadcast. Over 11k people were participating off-playa in this year's burn by tuning in, participating in community chat room and social media sites, creating art and making friends. The world wants to be a part of the greater burner community, which is evident by the large number of regionals that have popped up across the planet. We are an active community who participate in the burn by supporting fundraisers, actively help to build art cars and theme camps, and donate resources and services...

Camp Envy is not a passive community, but a flourishing resource for radical community engagement...

Visit us throughout the year to keep up with opportunities and events near you.
Camp Envy is YOU.

<3 Prof. Pickle

msj2u
Burning Since: 2003

Postby msj2u » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:21 pm

Prof Pickle and Matt

First time in 13 years I have "camped"anywhere else. Huge hugs for this camp!! The live stream helped a little (ok a lot)!!

Thank you so much!

Undusty hug,

M S J
The older I get, the less patience I have for stupid.

I can't be muted

HeatRash
Burning Since: 2018

Postby HeatRash » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:15 pm

"Plus he said that El Pulpo Mecanico .." Oh I meant MotorBike Matt said that, sorry. I can write good! !
pulpo-mechanico-last-time-2016.png
9-1-2016--capt-bm.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Professor Pickle

Postby Professor Pickle » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:09 pm

I just gotta say that it was a thrill to see El Pulpo back this year...having been on it in 2013 and being a mechanical geek, I couldn't take my eyes off it...then Tin Man shows up with his mechanical spider...I was like a kid in a candy store...

Please, post any of your screen caps here. (Try to avoid posting pics of people who clearly don't know they're on cam.)

Motorbikematt did an excellent job of maintaining that fine line of consent and privacy...most close-ups were of people who were aware of the cam. There were quite a few people who were turning the screen caps into works of art. I'll post a few here shortly.

Lastly, it was MBM who was able to get the 200+ last minute Temple messages out there before the Sunday burn. He kept the hotline open until the very last second to get the messages and photos posted on wood planks that were used on the webcam tower. This is a generous gift MBM is able to provide during this emotional time. It's not easy to be the conduit for so many individual emotional, heartbreaking, and passionate messages. The collage of messages took up the space of four planks.

In the spirit of immediacy, I will not repost video of the webcast. It's like you had to be there, even online, to experience the beauty of those moments. But, don't let that stop you. Many have captured remarkable moments, and we would love to see how YOU experienced it. Camp Envy is unobtrusive, quietly perched ~45' above the playa, wishing we were there alongside you. - PP

OatmealMama

Postby OatmealMama » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:42 am

Camp Envy has placement at Los Angeles Decompression, Saturday November 5, 2016.

http://www.ladecom.com/

Stop by and say "ello."
2010 - Virgin Burn
2011 - Camp Envy
2012 - Camp Envy
2013 - Camp Envy
2014 - Camp Envy
2015 - Camp Envy
2016 - 88NV Airport Volunteer
2017 - Camp Envy (But looking for a ticket!)

OatmealMama

Postby OatmealMama » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:21 pm

By the way....<3 you Camp Envy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “2016 Theme Camps & Villages”