People Seeking Camps 2016

Theme camps and villages are the interactive core of Burning Man. This is the place to announce and discuss camp and village plans for Burning Man 2016.
Hoverdave
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Looking

Re: Looking for Dutch Camp or Village

Post by Hoverdave » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:59 pm

I am not Dutch but have a Dutch name and will be going for the 1st time myself in an RV. Can I join?

NOLASaint

Two Virgin Burners from Austin interested in joining a camp

Post by NOLASaint » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:28 am

Hey there,

We are a couple and Virgin burners coming from Austin. After years of contemplating, we decided to have this burning man experience this year and we are excited. As this is our first time, we are looking for a camp to live which is newbie friendly and are willing to contribute in any way the camp want us to. We are friendly and get along well with all kind of personalities.

Looking forward to hear from the burners and can meet too if there are any burners from Austin,TX. Thanks.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Re: Two Virgin Burners from Austin interested in joining a camp

Post by BBadger » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:19 pm

What a strange coincidence. You, NOLASaint, posted about joining a camp, and your post appeared just below a post by NOLAphile, about seeking out people to join their ThumpThump camp.

Like a match made in NOLA.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

gl1986
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: The naughty bench

Post by gl1986 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:03 pm

Hey guys ,

Would you like to send us a mail at [email protected] for a chat , we could send you our camp info..

NOLASaint

Post by NOLASaint » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:54 pm

Hahaha. That is indeed a strange coincidence. Maybe I will email them.Thanks.

BBadger wrote:What a strange coincidence. You, NOLASaint, posted about joining a camp, and your post appeared just below a post by NOLAphile, about seeking out people to join their ThumpThump camp.

Like a match made in NOLA.

NOLASaint

Post by NOLASaint » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:55 pm

Hey there, Will email you soon.Thanks.

gl1986 wrote:Hey guys ,

Would you like to send us a mail at [email protected] for a chat , we could send you our camp info..

yarinsn

Any camps looking for a working hand from abroad?

Post by yarinsn » Sun May 01, 2016 3:37 pm

Hey all,
I'm Yarin, 27 y/o from Israel.
After quitting my job as a software engineer, selling my Peugeot and subletting my apartment along with my acoustic bass guitar,
I went on a 5 month couchsurfing\wwoofing trip in the US and will be traveling the west coast starting from mid June.

Since it will be my first burn, i decided to join a camp rather than to go solo (although it was a tough decision),
So I plan to move around until i'll find a camp I can join and help with whatever needed until the burn (~2 month).

So if you're in a camp with good vibes or know of a camp that's looking for cool, easy-going, hard-working, fun-loving participant, shoot me a message!

seatharama

Re: Two 1st Timers from Spokane, WA interested in joining a camp

Post by seatharama » Sun May 01, 2016 11:26 pm

We are still looking. Very determined to get tickets.

osty

2 First Timers looking for a camp

Post by osty » Mon May 09, 2016 12:53 pm

Two guys from Los Angeles crazy excited that we got tickets to Burning Man this year. We are looking to be a part of a camp. My friend is a very handy with tools and lights people up when you are around him. My passion in life is to travel and experiencing the world which is why I am so excited to be a part of Burning Man, I have been leading trips to Israel and have become a motivational speaker to groups of people teams of people on how to live better lives. We are two fun very easy going guys that are going into this experience with an open book.

somebodys-mom
Camp Name: Camp 511. We provide your traffic info

Costuming Camps??

Post by somebodys-mom » Fri May 13, 2016 10:11 pm

Like, are any out there and if so, are any accepting new people? I'm a small-time costumer from the Seattle area who would love to get in with a bunch of fellow costume fanatics at the Burn. This year, I'm going in a formal pink lace number with reembroidered ribbon motifs all over, topped with a pink and black fascinator, black opera gloves, and lots of blinkies. Why? Why not!

I know it isn't 15th century Italian Ren but I really don't want to schlep that to the desert. I have some but I'd like to keep it more or less clean for medieval reenacting. Besides, I'll stick out of the raver and coachella escapees enough without really freaking people out. LOL
Beware of inviting trouble. It usually accepts.

emjohnson33963
Burning Since: 2012

Re: 2 First Timers looking for a camp

Post by emjohnson33963 » Fri May 13, 2016 10:51 pm

Yay! So happy for you!

Just a suggestion, don't be disappointed if you don't get in with a camp. It will be my fifth year, and I always camp alone. One of my favorite parts is meeting my neighbors and creating a little "camp like" community with new people! If you are concerned about not being totally prepared, don't fear! The people around you will 99% of the time help you out :D

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Re: Costuming Camps??

Post by some seeing eye » Sat May 14, 2016 4:05 am

Your costume sounds fun! You have been before so you already know more than most! So you may already know below.

There are camps with participants who put a lot of energy into their own costumes, footwear, accessories, makeup. Like any camp, they have other interests and experiences which draw them together and hold them together. If you are interested in this, use the finding a camp tactics listed on ePlaya threads. In towns with a lot of burners it is not hard. In fact, they will likely become friends to spend time with year around.

There are camps which provide "costuming as a service" They expend quite a bit of time throughout the year collecting costumes, thrift store items, donations from other burners. They wash it repair it and sort it. Then on playa they have hours where burners visit, and the camp participants give fashion advice and help camp visitors put together a unique combination of clothing and accessories to express themselves. There is also continuous sewing repair and even improvisation. Clothes come back and have to be sorted. That goes along with all the usual set up, operation and break down. It is helpful to have an outgoing and uninhibited but sensitive hands on personality type for these camps.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

somebodys-mom
Camp Name: Camp 511. We provide your traffic info

Re: Costuming Camps??

Post by somebodys-mom » Sat May 14, 2016 5:33 pm

some seeing eye wrote: There are camps with participants who put a lot of energy into their own costumes, footwear, accessories, makeup. Like any camp, they have other interests and experiences which draw them together and hold them together. If you are interested in this, use the finding a camp tactics listed on ePlaya threads. In towns with a lot of burners it is not hard. In fact, they will likely become friends to spend time with year around.
This is the sort of place I'm interested in. I'm not a sparkle pony. I come fully self reliant with an RV, my own water, and my own shade, etc, so I hopefully wouldn't be burdensome. I'll see what I can come up with using the camp threads here on ePlaya and see what the Seattle regional groups have. I just would like to be among my own kind...those of us who love costuming of all sorts. I guess I never grew out of my love of playing dress-ups and pretend. :)
Beware of inviting trouble. It usually accepts.

Katajojo

Re: newbs looking to be adopted,any veteran willing to help?

Post by Katajojo » Sun May 15, 2016 2:25 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:
lucky420 wrote:You need to do a lot of research. I'm surprised Captain Goddamnitt was so nice and patient in his answer above.
Ha!! I'm not always that bad! But don't tell anyone and ruin my reputation.
I think you were nice bc this forum IS the place to ask questions before one gets to the playa. It's the playa where radical self reliance is a must. I think here is the place to get those questions answered in a non judgemental forum. Thanks for your decent and kind answer, as it helped me also.

Im a newbie, but not unwise, so if I have a choice, Id prefer to look an idiot in this forum, and be chastised for it, than end up on the unforgiving desert playa a damb fool bc i was too afraid to ask questions here. Mother Nature will kick my ass far better than any human ever could. :D Im more afraid of her than anyone here. I thank you for your long, thorough, patient, and very kind answer to this posters question.

oaklandfunk

Does your camp have a meal plan for ME?

Post by oaklandfunk » Mon May 16, 2016 12:22 am

Hey there- looking for camps that need people to join their camp meal plan. I work at BM and the staff food is good enough for me but when event week hits and my wife arrives I have promised this year to treat her better and find healthy and delicious food for us both. I know one other staff member looking as well. Can you help? Does your camp serve healthy food and allow non camp members to join in on the meal plan? Do you want to have cute strangers join you at meal time?
holler!

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Re: Does your camp have a meal plan for ME?

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon May 16, 2016 1:55 am

What does "I work for Burning Man" mean?
Even the staff wants plug & play?
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

oaklandfunk

Post by oaklandfunk » Mon May 16, 2016 2:00 am

"What does "I work for Burning Man" mean? "

What it means is "I came here for lonely people taking a 'swing and a miss' approach to humor rather than helpful information." So far I am pretty satisfied.
Last edited by oaklandfunk on Mon May 16, 2016 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon May 16, 2016 2:03 am

Lol bullshit. I'm just checking in for fun while vacationing in Kauai with friends.
I'm not a pathetic lonely sap.
You are asking for someone to provide meals for you at an event that stresses radical self reliance, while claiming to "work for" it.

oaklandfunk

Post by oaklandfunk » Mon May 16, 2016 2:07 am

"Lol bullshit. I'm just checking in for fun while vacationing in Kauai with friends.
I'm not a pathetic lonely sap. You are asking for someone to provide meals for you at an event that stresses radical self reliance, while claiming to "work for" it."

Your checking in for fun seems pretty close to "pathetic lonely sap" from where I'm sitting. Maybe it's a tonal thing. Or you butting into a thread to throw shade for literally no reason. Or the fact that you obsequiously and hilariously put first camp in your profile while bloviating about radical self reliance. How lean are the fixins over at first camp?

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Mon May 16, 2016 7:36 am

I sure could use a sandwich this morning. Hey Capt. Kauai is my favorite island too. We used to rent a condo at poi-poo. You having 2 vacations this year? You'll be at the burn, right?!?
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Dr Helix
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Post by Dr Helix » Mon May 16, 2016 7:49 am

oaklandfunk wrote:Hey there- looking for camps that need people to join their camp meal plan. I work at BM and the staff food is good enough for me but when event week hits and my wife arrives I have promised this year to treat her better and find healthy and delicious food for us both. I know one other staff member looking as well. Can you help? Does your camp serve healthy food and allow non camp members to join in on the meal plan? Do you want to have cute strangers join you at meal time?
holler!

So if you're the one that promised to "treat her better and find healthy and delicious food for us both" maybe you're the one that should be doing the providing rather than trying to get someone to do it for you. And even if you do find someone who might be willing, what will you be contributing to that effort other than you cuteness? Seems like a weak bargain to me.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"

oaklandfunk

Post by oaklandfunk » Mon May 16, 2016 8:31 am

Dr Helix wrote:
oaklandfunk wrote:Hey there- looking for camps that need people to join their camp meal plan. I work at BM and the staff food is good enough for me but when event week hits and my wife arrives I have promised this year to treat her better and find healthy and delicious food for us both. I know one other staff member looking as well. Can you help? Does your camp serve healthy food and allow non camp members to join in on the meal plan? Do you want to have cute strangers join you at meal time?
holler!

So if you're the one that promised to "treat her better and find healthy and delicious food for us both" maybe you're the one that should be doing the providing rather than trying to get someone to do it for you. And even if you do find someone who might be willing, what will you be contributing to that effort other than you cuteness? Seems like a weak bargain to me.
Ugh I forgot why I hate this fucking forum so much but now I remember. People here are so annoying it's insane! Let me see if I can can explain why I cannot "provide for my wife" you little ten principles hall monitor - I am busy working on the infrastructure of the event. Therefore I can't zip on back and stir the crock pot though perhaps she could but luckily---many large theme camps have kitchens that they open up to people who don't camp there as long as they are cute enough. Wait no, that doesn't make any sense - one would have to be a shrieking annoying nerd to think that's something that was being proposed - they open them up for CAMP DUES you know -Shriek! gasp! Ten principles! Commerce free!... Money!?!?
Yes it's true. Some camps have a different opinion about what designates no commerce and accept camp dues -- upstart plug and play camps like --- well basically every theme camp. And some have meal plans they extended to folk that aren't camping there. Some expect some additional volunteer work in addition to your dues. Some don't. Some open source the e-playa to solicit active users like you to come by and ensure they are following the spirit of Burning Man enough- wait no. Nonone would ever do that. No one would ever willingly open them selves up to an entire community that thrives on not minding their own business. Except I did. Lo how foolish I was to walk the road I knew to be populated by mouth breathing trolls in utilikilts. This heaving annoyance is the price I pay to cross this bridge.

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Mon May 16, 2016 9:05 am

@oaklandfunk

I've known, over the years, several folks who have 'bought in' to camp meal plans with folks they were not camping with.
All of them have horror stories to tell: unreliable mealtimes, wristbands not honored, kitchen running out of food, etc.

The common thread was that if one wasn't living in the camp, one wasn't privy to up-to-date information.

Just a caution; I'm sure this can work, I've just not heard of it.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon May 16, 2016 9:18 am

Hello, I want to join a camp. My first question is "how well will you be feeding me"?
What I offer is "I'm cute" and my wife and I are too busy to bother bringing food.

That's you. Sorry if you're unhappy with the obvious responses you got.

Bless
Burning Since: 2012

Post by Bless » Mon May 16, 2016 9:21 am

oaklandfunk wrote:I have promised this year to treat her better and find healthy and delicious food for us both.
I just like the part where his "promise to treat her better" involved posting on eplaya.

With a husband like that, who needs a meal plan!
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon May 16, 2016 9:22 am

There is a camp/group of camps(?) which does Feed the Artists. If they are doing that this year, it may be something you would benefit from. They usually do meals pre-event, perhaps not the entire time.

Good luck in your quest. A good meal plan from a reliable well run kitchen can be an elusive beast, especially one which matches your schedule.

I've never trusted anyone else with my meals after being invited to a huge feed for the conclave, only to discover their vegan/vegetarian dishes were primarily stuff I could not have. I'd even asked what was being prepared. Nope, I got poorly prepared rice and questionable fruit. Screw that.

Mid-week, I'd about kill for staff food, our rangers in camp eat there now and then. I'm curious what your definition of healthy food is, and what do you envision as a decent meal plan?

Ratty
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Mon May 16, 2016 9:31 am

Oakland do you still work Gate? The commissary isn't all bad. Salads for lunch. Vegan choices at every meal.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Dr Helix
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Post by Dr Helix » Mon May 16, 2016 9:49 am

oaklandfunk wrote:
Dr Helix wrote:
holler!

Ugh I forgot why I hate this fucking forum so much but now I remember. People here are so annoying it's insane! Let me see if I can can explain why I cannot "provide for my wife" you little ten principles hall monitor - I am busy working on the infrastructure of the event. Therefore I can't zip on back and stir the crock pot though perhaps she could but luckily---many large theme camps have kitchens that they open up to people who don't camp there as long as they are cute enough. Wait no, that doesn't make any sense - one would have to be a shrieking annoying nerd to think that's something that was being proposed - they open them up for CAMP DUES you know -Shriek! gasp! Ten principles! Commerce free!... Money!?!?
Yes it's true. Some camps have a different opinion about what designates no commerce and accept camp dues -- upstart plug and play camps like --- well basically every theme camp. And some have meal plans they extended to folk that aren't camping there. Some expect some additional volunteer work in addition to your dues. Some don't. Some open source the e-playa to solicit active users like you to come by and ensure they are following the spirit of Burning Man enough- wait no. Nonone would ever do that. No one would ever willingly open them selves up to an entire community that thrives on not minding their own business. Except I did. Lo how foolish I was to walk the road I knew to be populated by mouth breathing trolls in utilikilts. This heaving annoyance is the price I pay to cross this bridge.
OOHHH!!!! Mr Righteous Indignation has crafted this response meant to shame me into a bow and scrape of apology. My goodness, I think that just based on your "working" to make sure us plebes have our basic "infrastructure", we should all bring a pot of "good food" for you and the wife to feast upon. We will bring it to you on our backs as we meekly submit to you, letting you taste it first to ensure that it is good enough for you, and turning away lesser offerings. All hail the worker! Lesser men cower in your presence!

I always laugh when I read these type of posts. Do you think you're the only one who does anything out there? Right now my wife and I are creating an honoraria project to be displayed this fall for the enjoyment of ALL, taking the car we built out there to give handicap folks a chance to visit the art, and help with a theme camp that actually HAS interaction in its name. Oh and btw, we also seem to find the time to make the food we eat during the event. And it's VERY good. So if you are finding yourself a bit peckish from all your labor, come on by and I would be willing to share. But you'd have to sing a song to get some. That's how we do it.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"

oaklandfunk

Post by oaklandfunk » Mon May 16, 2016 10:05 am

Dr Helix wrote:
oaklandfunk wrote:
Dr Helix wrote:

OOHHH!!!! Mr Righteous Indignation has crafted this response meant to shame me into a bow and scrape of apology. My goodness, I think that just based on your "working" to make sure us plebes have our basic "infrastructure", we should all bring a pot of "good food" for you and the wife to feast upon. We will bring it to you on our backs as we meekly submit to you, letting you taste it first to ensure that it is good enough for you, and turning away lesser offerings. All hail the worker! Lesser men cower in your presence!

I always laugh when I read these type of posts. Do you think you're the only one who does anything out there? Right now my wife and I are creating an honoraria project to be displayed this fall for the enjoyment of ALL, taking the car we built out there to give handicap folks a chance to visit the art, and help with a theme camp that actually HAS interaction in its name. Oh and btw, we also seem to find the time to make the food we eat during the event. And it's VERY good. So if you are finding yourself a bit peckish from all your labor, come on by and I would be willing to share. But you'd have to sing a song to get some. That's how we do it.
Yeah scrape and serve me. That or charge me money dumdum.

oaklandfunk

Post by oaklandfunk » Mon May 16, 2016 10:11 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:Hello, I want to join a camp. My first question is "how well will you be feeding me"?
What I offer is "I'm cute" and my wife and I are too busy to bother bringing food.

That's you. Sorry if you're unhappy with the obvious responses you got.
Again dorkus, I used the language "join your meal plan" anyone who ran a camp meal
Plan and had actual information to give would understand that I meant to pay their camp dues for such a thing. It's only annoying digi-trolls of the e playa that think what i was asking was some kind of ten principles heresy that was essentially panhandling. A crime so grave they needed to butt their warty trollish noses into the conversation though they had nothing but snark to contribute. Now log off and go enjoy your Kauai vacation and as you feel the warm waters of the pacific lap over you. Whisper to yourself: I'm not a pathetic sap! I'm not a pathetic sap. I'm not...

Return to “2016 Theme Camps & Villages”