People Seeking Camps 2016

Theme camps and villages are the interactive core of Burning Man. This is the place to announce and discuss camp and village plans for Burning Man 2016.
mgb327

Re: How to go to burning Man without joining a 'camp'

Postby mgb327 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:04 pm

Well that's it Lucky, you are not joining my "camp" no matter how much you beg and plead. But on a cereal note, why do all these people think they need to join a camp? I love that I burn every year without a "camp". Less drama, methinks.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:07 pm

mgb327 wrote:Well that's it Lucky, you are not joining my "camp" no matter how much you beg and plead. But on a cereal note, why do all these people think they need to join a camp? I love that I burn every year without a "camp". Less drama, methinks.

Can I still come by for a cup of coffee? Pleeeeeeeeeeease :coffee:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

mgb327

Postby mgb327 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:11 pm

Absolutely, positively...and a side of BACON. Just don't think you can join my exclusive theme camp. Pineapple.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

lucky420

Postby lucky420 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:15 pm

*whew...now I'm not sad. Crabby but not sad. :coffee:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

EGAZ
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Postby EGAZ » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:23 pm

Lucky, you can come by Camp2, and Do What We Do.... :mrgreen:
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:26 pm

Mgb can i come for coffee too. All we have is vietnamese instant with cream and sugar.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

lucky420

Postby lucky420 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:46 pm

eldergeekaz wrote:Lucky, you can come by Camp2, and Do What We Do.... :mrgreen:

Why thank you kindly.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

ZigZag
Camp Name: Fade to White

Postby ZigZag » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:59 pm

When I first decided I was going to go home, I thought about what that really meant to me. I read The Survivors Guide and I read all of the Birgin Guide (which really is a wealth of clear concise information). I read a lot of ePlaya posts on the subject and knew that I was going solo largely because joining a camp without knowing anyone, being a virgin with no experience to offer, and committing myself to groups that described themselves as "really chill" just did not resonate with my spirit of radical self reliance and at the end of the day, meant I was really would be joining because I wanted something they had.

I totally get that the idea of camping solo can be terrifying to some; or having to deal with the massive logistics with meager resources can be overwhelming. But I also am amazed at people who don't do their homework, don't read the guides or do the research and just figure they can advertise they are "desperate to join a camp" and ride in on someone else's coattails.

Perhaps its my age, perhaps its my stage in life, but I don't have the patience any more for that and don't want to depend on it. Especially in this environment. But then I also wouldn't take any of them up into the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness either which is totally different but equally dangerous.

The folks that I admire are the the people who "can" camp alone or that build a camp with some of their dearest friends with whom they have a deep relationship and who band together to bring their art and talent to the playa. You can't "buy" your way into that, you have to evolve into it. The folks I admire are right here, in this conversation and regulars on this board.

In all fairness, the theme camps serve a purpose. They leverage resources and allow bigger ideas to come together that one person alone can't really pull off. Good for them. Its just not for me.

Lucky: You're still SOL. I don't drink coffee and don't eat bacon so you'd hate my camp. :lol:
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are" Joseph Campbell

lucky420

Postby lucky420 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:32 pm

:lol: yeah but I like YOU
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Drawingablank » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:02 pm

By the way for any newbies that saw my post above and still don't get it - I am available to read it aloud to you but you will need to cover my travel expenses.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Re: what's with people looking for a camp

Postby mudpuppy000 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:21 pm

In the end if the newbs show up incredibly unprepared it dosent really matter. They'll either adapt or be miserable and head back to gerlach or reno to gorge themselves on Indian tacos or vegan smoothies. Hell I had a friend that showed up one year with just a giant barrel of cheese puffs and he slept in the trunk of his car.

Jackass

Postby Jackass » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:30 pm

mudpuppy000 wrote:l I had a friend that showed up one year with just a giant barrel of cheese puffs and he slept in the trunk of his car.

This is awesome, I would have loved to see this! How did he fare?

(dude emerges from trunk of vehicle in his underwear with a barrel of cheese puffs under his arm)
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby gaminwench » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:33 pm

I have always lived in a Theme Camp (four different camps; when one dissolves, I get poached by the neighbors! Pfluffers RULE!!).

It is a goal/dream of mine to one day go solo. I almost managed it twice, but camps were yelling my name so loudly I gave in to the call.

Seriously, new folks, a Theme Camp is a huge personal commitment of time, resources and energy. Living on the playa with people that you don't know and/or don't resonate with can be a huge downer. Run free, be self-reliant and release your inner burner. There's plenty of time to commit to a camp/project/department once you've got your virgin burn under your belt and you're 'bit' for life.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

hunterrr456

Any Camps/Villages still open?

Postby hunterrr456 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:24 am

Hello!

I currently came up on a last minute ticket (with car pass) and was looking for a fun camp/village to join. I'm a 26 year old virgin burner and figured being apart of a camp/village is the best option as I love meeting new people and have always wanted to go to burning man! Getting there solo and exploring on my own (I actually prefer traveling solo in order to meet new people) is no problem for me. I'm an Orange County native working in Los Angeles at an advertising agency. Feel free to contact me below if there is any room, i'm looking for a fun camp/village thats open to meeting newbies! Of course, willing to help out with anything as necessary! Also, fine with paying dues or if anyone in my position wants to connect feel free to send me a message (i'm planning on bringing all my own supplies as well)

Thanks,

Hunter Owen

rh.owen90@gmail.com

bkgirl

Re: Two Burners from Israel looking for a camp

Postby bkgirl » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:42 am

Just FYI, you don't need a camp. My first Burn, I shared an RV with two Israelis and we had the best time ever in our own little campsite. It's a recent phenomenon that people think they need to join a camp. Honestly, you can just show up -- make sure yo have all your gear, of course -- and make your own sweet spot in walk-in camping

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Re: Two Burners from Israel looking for a camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am

Note: walk-in camping is not the same as general open camping. There's plenty of open, free-to-whoever camping area in BRC
Walk-in is outside the outer street, and is accessible only on foot or bike. It's a long trek, and it's for people who don't mind a lot of effort just to be away from everyone.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Postby mudpuppy000 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:02 am

Jackass wrote:
mudpuppy000 wrote:l I had a friend that showed up one year with just a giant barrel of cheese puffs and he slept in the trunk of his car.

This is awesome, I would have loved to see this! How did he fare?

(dude emerges from trunk of vehicle in his underwear with a barrel of cheese puffs under his arm)

I think he was only there for the burn weekend so he did ok. I doubt he could have handled the whole week like that, lol.

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Re: Any Camps/Villages still open?

Postby Jovankat » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:40 am

It really sounds like you would be better off without a camp. The reasons for preferring solo travel are magnified at the burn, meeting people is just as easy in open camping/at events/etc as it is in a camp and if you're bringing everything you need all a camp can supply you with is the potential for drama and/or mismatched expectations.

I say this as someone who ran a camp for ~50ish people, mostly first timers, for a few years. It can be great but the potential for drama is high.

ZigZag
Camp Name: Fade to White

Postby ZigZag » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:04 am

lucky420 wrote::lol: yeah but I like YOU

Then I have a special treat for you!!
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are" Joseph Campbell

seaturtle28

Solo female first-timer looking for camp...I can give another female a ride

Postby seaturtle28 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:06 pm

Hi -

I am a first-time burner flying solo. 30 year old woman who doesn't do drugs (but doesn't judge those that do). I was hoping to join or set my tent up next to a camp. I do not need food/shelter/babysitting, but just want to have a group that I could explore with and feel safe tenting near. Also, I'm a worker bee and would totally be cool with helping out whenever and wherever I can.

Also, I do have a space in my car for another female traveler. I'll be driving in from the west coast and could pick someone up perhaps in Reno or Carson City. There's room for 1 person, about a passenger seat full of their things, and 1 bike. I have had a cat in the recent past in my car, so just a heads up in case you're allergic.

Thanks,
Jenn

realandylee

2 1st-time Canadian burners seeking camp

Postby realandylee » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:38 pm

Hi all,

My friend and I are first-time burners from Canada looking to join a camp with good energy, food, showers, etc. near 9:30 if possible.

We have 2 tents and no vehicle. Please let me know if you have space for us :)

Thank you!
Andy

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: People Seeking Camps 2016

Postby trilobyte » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:59 pm

And that is several dozen threads merged. For those jumping in and skipping to the last post, please take a few minutes to read the original post in this thread. It contains what I hope will be good and useful info for camp-seekers.

Camps looking for members, we ask that moving forward you refrain from posting camp adverts as replies, but instead post individual private message or email replies to any camp seekers that post in here.

Good luck to everyone in making a great camp connection!

Skuzzy61

Postby Skuzzy61 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:16 pm

Bless your heart Trilobyte, and thank you! I could not keep up with the forum with all the "I need a camp.." posts. No offense to those seeking a camp, but dang it was getting crazy!
I really would like to change the world, but I do not have access to the source code!
Duct tape is like "The Force"! It has a dark and a light side, and holds the universe together!

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:39 pm

Thanks, and I hope it serves to help everyone out. I did go through the last few pages of posts and removed some of the camp adverts. In the context of the giant merged thread it looked spammy, but please know that the camps involved were not being spammy. They were replying to many different threads. I encourage any recent 'seeking camp' posters to take a moment and look through the boards now, WOW there are a lot of great camps doing some cool stuff this year.

I'd also like to point out a post that's a couple pages up in all this... an excerpt from drawingablank's Birgin Guide that covers the subject of camps... click here to go read it. It's a great read, and well written. Thanks for sharing that!

albinoOcelot

Re: Solo east coast burner seeking theme camp

Postby albinoOcelot » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:56 pm

albinoOcelot wrote:Hi everyone! I'm from the Atlanta area hoping to join a theme camp. I've been to regional burns before (Alchemy 2013, 2014; Transformus 2015, 2016; To The Moon 2016) but this will be my first Burning Man.

Finding a crew from the east coast would be awesome, but totally optional. I am a hard worker, can help with anything pre-event (if around Atlanta), and am a good cook!

Any advice or leads would be greatly appreciated! Thanks,
Ocelot

I found a camp, thanks everyone!

alexguy01
Camp Name: IN NEED!!

Postby alexguy01 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:20 pm

Hello, my name is Alex and I just got a Burning Man ticket yesterday. This will be my first time. I have a bunch of friends going but since its so last minute, I really would like to join any available camp.

I'm a professional freelance photographer and plan on bringing a film and digital camera, so I'm willing to document whatever the camp needs. I'm a chill, low drama, easy-going, 30 year old guy. I'm willing to work hard and contribute to whatever is needed. I enjoy playing guitar/vocals, indie music, rock climbing, bjj, Buddhism, etc.

I would really like to find a group so I have people to camp with and make new friends. I plan on bring all my food and am low maintenance. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks so much!

connuelle

Postby connuelle » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:56 pm

Hey everyone! I just got a last minute Burning Man ticket and I am now looking for a camp to join. Especially since it will be my first time at Burning Man I would like to join a camp. Figure it is going to be much more fun being a part of a group and make new friends! Planning with a tent (no RV).

I am a German native currently living in Chicago, a very open person, easy going, obviously willing to contribute.

Happy to share a bit more about myself if you PM me! :D

Cheers,
Connuelle

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Postby Elorrum » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:30 pm

"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

Drawingablank

Postby Drawingablank » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:40 pm

Great Post Nina.

Now for those who are seriously reading impaired (or exceptionally stupid) here is a must read for those looking for a camp:

viewtopic.php?f=468&t=78657&start=420#p1120290
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Postby Elorrum » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:57 pm

You will make friends with your neighbors! it's easy. Be a good neighbor, say good morning, ask what people saw. Share what blew your mind with them, and hear about their adventures. People bring extra chairs and beers and snacks, have shaded areas to sit around, and enjoy offering them to passers by. You might enjoy doing the same. Even a shy person will be amazed at how they are feeling easy in the company of strangers at Burning Man. If you need to join a camp because you are unprepared to take care of yourself, then, own up to that and get your shit together. I have to qualify this as my opinion, since theme camps may exist to be a paid accommodations with showers and meals plans. Best of luck in your search, but don't feel it's necessary to join a camp to meet and make friends for your burn. Being a solo burner actually makes your neighbors reach out to you, (poor solo burner, HA!) if you want to know the truth of my experience.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

Return to “2016 Theme Camps & Villages”