People Seeking Camps 2016

Theme camps and villages are the interactive core of Burning Man. This is the place to announce and discuss camp and village plans for Burning Man 2016.
Bless
Burning Since: 2012

Re: Bass heavy theme camps: Where do I find Jungle, DnB, Glitch, Dubstep

Post by Bless » Tue May 31, 2016 5:18 am

risa wrote:But I've been told bass music is rare out there
I think someone is pulling your chain.
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

Chowski
Burning Since: 2009

Post by Chowski » Tue May 31, 2016 9:13 am

It can be difficult to find, but here's a tip: wake up in the morning with your tent vibrating from Bass, stand up and scratch your vibrating balls. Turn left and walk five feet vibrating to someone's blaring sound system, sorry "art". Or right. Turning right will also do.

If that is somehow ineffective, you may try walking down any street, biking into the deepest recesses of deep Playa, entering the temple or any other place foolishly designated as off-limits to the blaring thwomp thwomp of incessant crap music.

If all else fails, wait until just after sunset, then follow the crowds of fur-bedecked European dance-party tourists. They'll know where to go.

bluemiragemi
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Pretty Pickle

Post by bluemiragemi » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:20 am

Chowski wrote:It can be difficult to find, but here's a tip: wake up in the morning with your tent vibrating from Bass, stand up and scratch your vibrating balls. Turn left and walk five feet vibrating to someone's blaring sound system, sorry "art". Or right. Turning right will also do.
Ahahahaha, you gave me a great laugh this morning, thank you :)

Yes, this.

Anyone who said bass is hard to find at the burn was definitely pulling your chain. You'll be fine <3
~ Em

Roy333

Re: 2 First Timers looking for a camp

Post by Roy333 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:15 pm

This will be my third year in a row at BM. First year was great, in a camp with my daughter, son in law, and friends. Then the camp disbanded, so last year I camped with a camp in which I knew no one. It was very large, and everyone already had their cliques, so was hard to fit in and find new friends.
This year I plan on camping alone. I don’t know how that will work, but need to experience it. This will also probably be my last year, as I am getting to old to camp in the desert for a year. Hope this is a good one.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: 2 First Timers looking for a camp

Post by AntiM » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:50 am

If you already have your basic camp gear and want great neighbors, you can consider a village such as Hushville. No dues, no meals, no showers, but also no generators, no amplified music, and a wonderful interactive bunch of people. You do need to pre-register, but that will be simple. Just a thought.

chealge776
Burning Since: 2016

Virgin Burner seeking a home!

Post by chealge776 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:40 pm

Hello I am cheagle, Currently a student at Oregon state.

I attended Soak the Oregon regional burn for the first time this year as well. I don't quite know where I fit in yet but I am open to all of the above. I love to cook, and farm. I would prefer to be around music and flow art but I am open to see what more is out there.

:lol: :lol:

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: Virgin Burner seeking a home!

Post by Ratty » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:11 pm

Chealge... Welcome to ePlaya. If you're looking for a ride or a camp get to it. Start contacting camps that you find here or ones listed on the burning Man web site. You have to find them. Eplaya is a great resource for info but YOU need to do the research and contact camps etc... go to the 'ride share and resource sharing' board here. Look it over. Find your nitch. Welcome. Hope we can help you.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Jackass

Re: Virgin Burner seeking a home!

Post by Jackass » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:25 pm

Did you click with any groups or people at SOAK? I would start there. They're in your general area, going to the burn, and you may already have built a rapport with them.

That would be my approach, for starters. No?
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Rocket pup
Camp Name: Fuego karaoke bar

Seeking Camp: overwhelming and exciting and ........ Please help

Post by Rocket pup » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:36 am

Oh my goodness gracious. Where do I begin!
BM seems to have taken over my life. In a good way. I think.
I'm coming over from australia with a friend. We are both gay and a bit kinky :) we are looking for a relaxed camp that we can call home for the period.

I am bringing my iPad that I make live improvised music on and would love to plug in and jam some tunes out on the camp PA. chilled ambient to chugging house. (Yes. They are up to the job these days). Can get some awesome tunes coming out of it.

We would want to help out with general camp duties. Cooking. Moop sweeps. Tunes. Conversation. Clean up. All that.

It would be wonderful to find an all accepting camp with sofas. Chill area. Sound system. Food.
Silly games and intelligent conversation would be great.

I don't have any idea how the number thing works. 6:00, 15:99, ?:? What is that about?

I'm waiting waiting for a list of 2016 camps to come out. When does that happen? Is there a mad rush to get into the camps when it does? How can you look through a list of thousands of camps?

We have tickets but no vehicle pass yet. Should I be worried?

Is there any hexayurt hiring available? I haven't found anything on that yet.

It is almost overwhelming. I'm getting more and more excited and realising what a bucket list this will be.

Love to you all and can't wait to interact in weird and wonderful ways with the pupulation.

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

:)

P.s. Sfjvdfvkdfbkdf
dfkndfindfojfgosjdvjksdvkjdffkvjsdvjhsddvkn

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Re: overwhelming and exciting and ........ Please help

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:07 am

What you need to do is read the survival guide on the Burning Man website.
Burning Man isn't a place where you book hotel accommodations. You're expected to cover your own ass.

I'm not sure what you mean when you ask if there's a mad rush to get into the camps when you get there. Do you mean visiting other camps?
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

risa
Camp Name: Kostume Kult

Post by risa » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:38 am

thanks

Dr Helix
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Post by Dr Helix » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:12 am

You're shotgunning here.....throwing out lots of questions and wanting answers. As Cap has said, first you NEED to read the Survival Guide. As far as your other questions:

DJ's are a dime a dozen at BM. Don't be surprised if everyone isn't clamoring for you to lay your tunes on them.

There are plenty of camps looking for members and many are on this forum. And while you do seem to be someone who wants to pitch in, asking for amenities ("sofas. Chill area. Sound system. Food.") seems to indicate you want that provided for you which is not the best way to go about it. Make a strong case for what YOU would offer a prospective campmate (#1? No drama!!!) and you'll have no trouble finding a good camp to join. Which you don't have to have by the way to enjoy a great burn.

Think clock and you'll figure out how the layout works.

I don't know how you're planning on coming in so I can't tell you how important having a VP will be for you.

Hexayurts are for the most part a DIY project. It's a rare one that might show up for rent. Don't count on it. Buy a tent.

Good luck.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:48 am

What they said is true. YOU need to provide for yourself. Check out the Burner express bus. Read the Survival guide, TWICE. Browse through the 2016 event threads. Research how others do it. If you pay a bunch of money to be fed and watered you are NOT a burner. In that case you would just be a spectator. A DJ on a couch? Really? Be a self reliant foreign traveler that has done his own planning and enjoy the event for what it is.

A very expensive vacation in the desert. One that requires extensive prep and will leave you speechless. Welcome to ePlaya. Stop in at the greeters thread and introduce yourself. Once you get a general idea of what this event entails let us fill in the blanks for you. Mahalo.

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Zachwilliams
Burning Since: 2004

Post by Zachwilliams » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:10 pm

"Oh my goodness gracious. Where do I begin!"
This is a good place to begin: http://burningman.org/culture/history/b ... val-guide/

"BM seems to have taken over my life. In a good way. I think."
Of Course! Why do you think this forum exists, plenty of other people with nothing better to think of.

"I'm coming over from australia with a friend. We are both gay and a bit kinky :) we are looking for a relaxed camp that we can call home for the period."
You both will fit right in. Plenty of kinky, gay, relaxed people hanging out at home.

"I am bringing my iPad that I make live improvised music on and would love to plug in and jam some tunes out on the camp PA. chilled ambient to chugging house. (Yes. They are up to the job these days). Can get some awesome tunes coming out of it.

We would want to help out with general camp duties. Cooking. Moop sweeps. Tunes. Conversation. Clean up. All that.

It would be wonderful to find an all accepting camp with sofas. Chill area. Sound system. Food.
Silly games and intelligent conversation would be great."
Plenty of camps like this, themed and un-themed.

"I don't have any idea how the number thing works. 6:00, 15:99, ?:? What is that about?"
See here: http://burningman.org/culture/history/b ... -city-map/

"I'm waiting waiting for a list of 2016 camps to come out. When does that happen? Is there a mad rush to get into the camps when it does? How can you look through a list of thousands of camps?"
I think your idea of what the camps are and how they function is a bit naive, hence the previous snarky responses. However, here is the 2015 list for your perusing: http://burningman.org/culture/history/b ... eme-camps/ Plenty to choose from and communicate with.

"We have tickets but no vehicle pass yet. Should I be worried?"
Worry about what? Are you driving in?

"Is there any hexayurt hiring available? I haven't found anything on that yet."
Sure, I do believe many things are available for your comfort and experience, however I would be careful of the sharks and I would post your need in a different forum, and not bunched in with the rest of your inquiries.

"It is almost overwhelming. I'm getting more and more excited and realising what a bucket list this will be."
You think your overwhelmed now. :shock:

"Love to you all and can't wait to interact in weird and wonderful ways with the pupulation.

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

:)

P.s. Sfjvdfvkdfbkdfdfkndfindfojfgosjdvjksdvkjdffkvjsdvjhsddvkn"

Hope that helps.

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:26 pm

Welcome to Eplaya.

That being said I suggest you follow the suggestion to read the survival guide then start finding the answers to many of your questions on Eplaya. Google search is better than the built in search function here btw.

Also mentioned above but it bears repeating - theme camps are not hotels - you should lead with what you can offer them and how you think you are a good match - not with what you are looking for.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

Rocket pup
Camp Name: Fuego karaoke bar

Post by Rocket pup » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:49 am

Thank you for some helpful pointers. I have been spending hours and hours looking through info. For example. No one told me eplaya existed. I had to discover it.
I have had some great private messages from burners. Thank you especially.
For example. I did not know there was a gayborhood. My kinky gay antics can prevail. I have no want of freeloading. Quite the reverse. I think my desire for a camp should be equal for the camps desire of me so don't have an issue with which one gets the ball rolling. Th camps seem to be an important adhesive and I am happy to be drawn to that side of burning man.
I don't know of any hotel where you would offer to clean. Cook. Moop sweep and pitch in what is needed. If that camp also offers some creature comforts. Well.
Seems like an even keel to me.
I hope this thread will assist other first burners in navigating what is a complex environment as I had not found sufficient info after many hours of reading.
I bring my free spirit. My unbridled love and acceptance of all. My power. My energy. My radical inclusion. My creation of community where only love, action and being of spirit is present.
I watch burning man videos on YouTube and cry at the greatest prejudice free population I have ever seen.
I already feel I can offer some form of advice for anyone that needs. If I can make someone's burn information reconnaissance easier then that is a little part of what this is all about for me.
Leonardo. You're such a hippy.
dfkndfindfojfgosjdvjksdvkjdffkvjsdvjhsddvkn

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:20 am

This isn't meant to be bitchy, just a little reality check: Burning Man is a camping trip in the middle of nowhere with almost nothing provided.
Bringing energy and love and helping cook and moop are all good things - but nowhere near as useful as bringing shade, water, couches, etc.
Thats the point people (well mostly me I guess) are trying to make.
A whole lot of folks offer their good vibes and their setup help but don't want to bring what is really needed.
This isn't an easy trip. How the hell do you bring all that stuff?!! Well, somebody has to. I've gone since 2000 and haven't ever shown up any less than 100% "radically self reliant".
I am part of a camp because I'm friends with the others in that camp. Not AT ALL because they provide me anything. They really don't, they're just the folks I like to camp with.
More and more people are finding out about Burning Man and aren't understanding what is meant by Radical Self Reliance. More and more think you join a camp so you don't have to figure out how to provide for yourself except for offering to "help". The real help at Burning Man is showing up with couches. Not offering to dust them.
It's been said that you should show up prepared as though no one else was going to be there. If that's not you, then you ARE treating camps like hotels.

Having bitched all that, I hope you have a hell of a great time and you're probably fun as hell and if you see me and my boat, hail Captain Goddammit and we'll cruise and I'll have cold whatever-you-like for you!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:34 am

06_07_16_29c05502d0b585ca195d9b4ff2e521d4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:19 am

Rocket pup wrote:I have been spending hours and hours looking through info.
What specifically have you been reading? Complete list of sources and websites.

How did you discover ePlaya?

(the answers to these questions will help improve the BM information flows)
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:22 pm

Rocket pup wrote:Thank you for some helpful pointers. I have been spending hours and hours looking through info. For example. No one told me eplaya existed. I had to discover it.
I have had some great private messages from burners. Thank you especially.
For example. I did not know there was a gayborhood. My kinky gay antics can prevail.
Yes, they can! Have a great time. :D
I have no want of freeloading. Quite the reverse. I think my desire for a camp should be equal for the camps desire of me so don't have an issue with which one gets the ball rolling. Th camps seem to be an important adhesive and I am happy to be drawn to that side of burning man.
I don't know of any hotel where you would offer to clean. Cook. Moop sweep and pitch in what is needed. If that camp also offers some creature comforts. Well.
Seems like an even keel to me.
True. Kind of. Most camps' primary Reason for Existing is to offer the rest of the city something awesome. A café, a bar, a coffee shop, farmers' market, a dance club, a massage salon, an elevated viewpoint, a beauty shop, a boutique, a yoga studio, a chapel, an art studio, a movie theatre, educational seminars, free soulmates . . .

The other stuff camps have--such as various kinds of support for the people who make it all happen--is important but secondary.

Some placed camps don't offer you much but an address and some pre-existing social ties. Others will charge you hundreds and offer you a LOT (hope they follow through!)

But at the end of the day, most camps want passionate workers/partners first and foremost, because the vision of the camp has to be borne to fruition AND the campsite must be clean when they leave . . . or they won't be asked back.

So it's with this attitude of compatibility, passion, fun, and hard work and that you want to approach a camp. And definitely take the lead on this--most theme camps don't comb this part of the site.

Good luck, & welcome!

P.S. I haven't heard of hexayurts for hire (anything's possible), but you might want to look under Share Resources for RV shares or put out feelers for such things in http://regionals.burningman.org or http://rideshare.burningman.org . Or get excited about a tent; 50% of the city is happy to do it (like me!)
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:45 pm

there is a hexayurt company that provides yurts on playa. check out black rock hexayurt, they have a fb page. i am in no way affiliated with them, just passing info along
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Boardshorts

2016 BM will be my first experience at BM looking for a camp- Chill/Creative/ Hard Worker

Post by Boardshorts » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:17 pm

I have always wanted to go to Burning Man and this year I felt like it was time I bought the tickets the day they went on sale and got in right as the tickets went on sale. I live in the Sacramento area I might be going solo; I have two tickets and a vehicle pass ( I might have the other ticket to offer too if my buddy can't get the time off) I will be bringing my truck towing a camping trailer.

I can be very creative; I once owned a professional haunted house in California that was a seasonal event during the Halloween season that drew over 10000 people; I did the set design for many rooms from Victorian to Crazy Killer Clown haunts. I feel like I can contribute in helping with creative task or any work that needs to be done. I am 43 self employed very easygoing and chill. I can contribute financially pre BM for any supplies or pre build stuff at home.

I Thank You in advance and can't wait for this.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: 2016 BM will be my first experience at BM looking for a camp- Chill/Creative/ Hard Worker

Post by Token » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:35 pm

Save yourself the drama of a big camp, pick up a Costco Carport, find a spot and camp solo.

You will meet great people and not have to deal with anyone's agenda but yours.

Be free man, bee free!

Jackass

Re: 2016 BM will be my first experience at BM looking for a camp- Chill/Creative/ Hard Worker

Post by Jackass » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:56 pm

Yeah, and no camp quite time!

I'll be rocking some 80's pop, to help my neighbors sleep.
Last edited by Jackass on Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:59 pm

I agree with token.

In the few number of Burns that I have attended; I have always camped solo and the only major drama events that I have seen or been involved in occurred between me, myself and I and it was either over: transportation, clothing, camp location, not doing enough work around camp, women, food, drink or shelter and one of us always apologized first; except for the time that two of us tossed the other one out of camp for a few days.
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:37 pm

Hey neighbor! Welcome to ePlaya.

You don't "need" to join a camp. Camping solo has several advantages, especially for your first burn. Joining a camp usually means responsibilities in the camp and your first year, you're not going to want to be stuck in camp cleaning up the thrashed kitchen or whatever, when you could be out exploring stuff. The first year is, in my opinion, the best year, and you ain't gonna have time for that camp duty crap.
There is a lot of open camping area and you can find an open spot, talk to the neighbors, then decide if you want to camp next to them.
You could also be your own theme camp with and have some fun with that.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

Boardshorts

Post by Boardshorts » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:05 pm

Great advice! I could do a mini Halloween/ Haunted house theme since I owned the major haunted house and recently sold it- I still have tons of cool props that would be fine with the playa dust-

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:15 pm

Boardshorts wrote:Great advice! I could do a mini Halloween/ Haunted house theme since I owned the major haunted house and recently sold it- I still have tons of cool props that would be fine with the playa dust-
That could be fun, but with two caveats. 1. It can get windy out there, so whatever you setup needs to be tied down in some way. Gusts can get over 60mph at times. 2. Camping by yourself, if you have something like that setup, there would be nobody there to keep an eye on it when you were out exploring. So you better not be too attached to what you bring.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:01 am

Boardshorts welcome to eplaya. I also camp alone with others that camp alone. We are all self contained and share if we have something like a beer or bowl of oatmeal. I don't think I'll ever join a camp. I do a lot of volunteering and don't need any structure or time restraints that come with a group of people. My advise to you is keep it simple. It's your first burn and you will want to get out of camp night and day. Don't plan a fancy display that will eat up your time. By all means, if you want to contribute to the community with your art or photo op station do it. The week flies by quickly. Have the time of your life and plan big for your 2nd year. Maybe we'll see you on Wednesday at 6pm at the eplaya Meet & Greet. Barbie Death Camp hosts it. Nice chatting with you. Mahalo

Arthur Schopenhauer

A-RockLeFrench
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: BONERPILLAR

Post by A-RockLeFrench » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:13 am

Go to Costco, buy a carport and two 4-packs of ratchet straps. Order some 14 inch lag bolts and bring a drill.

You now have a house to haunt!

That's an art project that I would LOVE to see on the playa! I started a museum a few years ago which was basically a Costco carport with a bunch of random crap in it for people to wander into and gander at. To my surprise it was hit, people loved it so I brought it back the next year with way more crap. Now a campmate has taken it over and it will be at least 3 carports this year, all full of weird crap!

Edit: Do what Ratty says, and next year plan to bring the fancy display that will eat up your time! However, in the years that we've been bringing the museum we have had surprisingly little theft, and we have it open 24 hrs/day and often times unattended. The best part is when random people leave more weird shit in there!

Return to “2016 Theme Camps & Villages”