People Seeking Camps 2016

Theme camps and villages are the interactive core of Burning Man. This is the place to announce and discuss camp and village plans for Burning Man 2016.
The Rat Lady
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Mobility Camp

Re: Looking for ASL interpreters camp

Post by The Rat Lady » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:30 pm

Thanks so much!
I passed the info along :)

Rat Lady
"Outside of a dog, books are man's best friends. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read!"
Groucho Marx

LeonoreMathis
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Searching for a Camp

Re: Philosophical swiss girl is searching for a place in a camp

Post by LeonoreMathis » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:33 am

Aurelia wrote:You'd be happy and safe in our camp we are just placed on six in a reasonable spot for to you too enjoy Contact me if you need help when you get to the states

Hey Aurelia,

so what is the name of your camp? Thank you very much! Can we have contact? :)

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Post by Aurelia » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:03 am

:mrgreen:
It is called Anat's Love Camp .

Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:30 am

LeonoreMathis wrote:Heyy. :)

I am a young woman (22 years) and I am searching for a place in a Camp. I am a writer and author, everytime smiling and a futurelover.

When you know a free place in a Camp, please contact me. There are no Camps from my country on Burning Man this year. :roll: Switzerland is maybe to small...

Nice to meet great-minded people to celebrate, enjoy und good talks. :)

Best, Leonore
Die Schweiz? sehr, cool!
Sprichts du Deutsch? oder :( French?

Gunslinger

Re: Bass heavy theme camps: Where do I find Jungle, DnB, Glitch, Dubstep

Post by Gunslinger » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:41 am

risa wrote: I'm not looking for House, EDM, or Trap, only what I've listed above. -from a junglist
Time for you to expand your goddam horizons! This is motherfucking BurningfuckingbassMAN and you will be BASSED.

Just kidding. Who told you there wasn't D&B and Jungle? Hear it every year. But if you're looking for favorites bring your own Flash drive and CDs. Most DJs have a CDJ setup. Better than that, bring your own PA! :mrgreen:

LeonoreMathis
Camp Name: Searching for a Camp

Post by LeonoreMathis » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:21 pm

Schweizerdeutsch ;-)

Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:50 pm

LeonoreMathis wrote:Schweizerdeutsch ;-)
ach Toll, ich kann Schweizerdeutsch ja überhaupt nicht verstehen, sondern ich mag Deutsch und probiere die Sprache zu lernen mit Rosetta Stone haha.
Ach, noch was. Es ist garnicht schwer ein camp zu finden wenn man da ist. Die Playa ist riesig! Und es gibt viele offne teile wo man einfach dorthin mit zelt machen kann. Ein jar ich hab' mich zweimal umgezogen bis ich die richtige platz/camp gefunden habt.

Ich hoffe dass ich habe sinn gemacht :mrgreen:

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Post by Aurelia » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:23 pm

:mrgreen:
Es ist nicht schwer zu sprechen zusammen aber es ist sehr schwer alles dort zu bewundern

Bless
Burning Since: 2012

Post by Bless » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:04 am

Anat!
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

Daanweijs

Theme camps open for participants?

Post by Daanweijs » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:10 am

Hi all,

Wow the list of Theme Camps is impressive and sometimes clear sometimes ehm.. mysterious.

We are a group of 6 persons (2 male, 4 female) who will arrive on the sunday to the playa with our RV filled with whatever we need and much more. We would like to join a theme camp to increase participation and to add to the event. Now I know that there are quite some theme camps that are open for joiners (bubles and bass, TedX etc). I would like to know if there is some way to find out which camps there are open for this and how to get in touch with them.

Thanks!

Mason1985

Basic Camp Understanding

Post by Mason1985 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:46 am

Happy Tuesday to ya'll,

So it's both mine and my friends first time in the dust - RV has been booked (hoorah some cry, what a waste say others. I promise I hear you all!). A personal choice that we opted to make on our first expedition to Black Rock City.

I'm trying to understand the camps - the reasons / necessity of being welcomed to a camp VS arriving and parking in say a 'general' camp for the lost and unfortunate.

Is it a popularity contest similar to school?

Look forward to hearing from you!

The English Texan

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash. Not a Placer

Re: Basic Camp Understanding

Post by Papa Bear » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:35 pm

Everybody camps. Some people do it by themselves, others do it with a group of friends. Lots of times they make new friends with other people who camp nearby.

Some of the groups that camp together create some sort of interactive theme around their camp that invites people to come to them and participate (hence the term "theme camp"). This can be anything from a bar to a dance space to a mini golf course to a spa to a roller disco to a landing spot for new burners, and tons of other things besides. Some are just a small group of friends, others are people from all over gathered around a common interest. It really just depends.

Of the groups that decide to create theme camps, some of them apply to the org for placement - meaning the org will choose a chunk of space that will be reserved for them to set up their camps. Other groups don't apply for (or don't get awarded) reserved placement, and just set up in any old chunk of open camping space that's available when they arrive.

Being a placed theme camp in good standing does have benefits - you don't have to scramble for space, that space may be more central, and you may have access to directed ticket sales and early entry to set up. But to remain "in good standing" you also have to meet a variety of requirements - including making sure your camp is interactive, making sure you leave no trace, etcetera.

So while any placed theme camp should welcome you to wander in and participate (at least, in their public space when they are open), not all of them are open to new people actually camping with them. It just depends on how they are organized - putting a theme camp together is a lot of work, and adding the wrong person can make life miserable for everyone, so even if a camp is open to new members, the organizers may well want to interview you first before allowing you to become part of the camp.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:01 pm

Search Google for site:eplaya.burningman.org joining camp
Read it all.
Joining a camp can be like like picking a team for a week long wilderness backpacking expedition. The deeper and longer the in-person connections, the probabilistically better the outcome. But safety not guaranteed.
YMMV.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

justin-case
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Zerzura / XUZA Art Car

Re: Theme camps open for participants?

Post by justin-case » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:38 pm

Greetings, We just received the green flag and are adopting new camp mates this year. We Are Zerzura / XUZA ART Car camp with amazing placement at 9:15 / H.

If interested in being a part of one of the greatest gifts to the residents of Black Rock City, please contact us at

info@xuzaartcar.com

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:07 pm

Barbie Death Village is closed to new members. Try us next year. And we'll see you all at the Meet & Greet 6 p.m. Wednesday, location: 6:30 and E.

Peritwinkle
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp D.O.A - Peritwinkle's venue

Post by Peritwinkle » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:14 am

Camp D.O.A. (Decadent Outdoor Adventurers) is still open for members but we are small and filling up fast. Contact us right away if you are interested in making strong friendships, consuming the best wine / champagne on the playa and having a great time.

Go to: https://sites.google.com/site/campdoa/ to check us out further. See you on the playa!

JeepneyArtCar
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: It's More Fun In The Philippines

Post by JeepneyArtCar » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:55 pm

It's More Fun In The Philippines is seeking campers. This is our first year and we have an art car.
This is a Filipino Theme Camp but all are welcome! In addition to our Eagle Art Car, we'll be hosting the playa's first Filipino Pop Up dinners and provide street food in deep playa!

Let me know if you're interested!
jeepneyartcar@gmail.com
www.jeepneyartcar.org

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:13 am

Mmmmm, midnight lumpia. Or pancit. Or empanadas. It is alllll soooo good.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:13 pm

I can appreciate that it sure would be convenient to have filtered lists to shop through, or to invite a string of camps to try and woo you into joining them.... but one of the principles of the event is radical self reliance. That is, figure it out and solve the problem on your own. It crops up in lots of different ways, and a more radically self reliant approach to finding a camp would be for you and your campmates (who, by the way, could also just be your own camp) to peruse the posted lists and find the camps and villages that look interesting to you, and do your own work.

Some camps will post enrollment info on their web site or Facebook page, or have threads recruiting members posted here. Others may not be clear on the subject, and there's no better way to show that you guys are a group of radically self reliant go-getters than to initiate that conversation yourself. Write the camp contact or FB group leader and ask them if they have any space, and tell them what you like about their camp and ask if there's a way you guys could be a part of it.

Good luck!

Shazek

Burner looking for a camp (late STEP ticket)

Post by Shazek » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:36 pm

HELLO EVERYONE!!! :D :D

My name is Shachar (a bit hard to pronounce)
I know im a bit late to finding a camp but I just got my ticket from STEP.
I'm 22 years old and im from Israel.
I am currently in the states and will be here for 10 days after the burn!
I am travelling alone and looking for a good camp with good open minded people that I could call home for before, during and after the burn.
It has been a dream of mine for a long time to attend Burning Man and the time has finally come!
I am a very calm, creative and open minded person, I enjoy meeting new people,experiencing new things and just chilling with good people.
I am determined and will help wherever and however im needed! Everything from ideas, gifting setting up, tearing down and everything in between!
I have been working as a cook for the past years and will be more than happy to cook with you and for you! :wink:
Don't have too many specific hobbies besides traveling, meeting new different people, different cultures and juggling/dapostar.
I hope we all have a great time and your looking for an extra hand and friend. I'm here! :!:

Much love!

Contact info:
Shacharzekaria@Gmail.com
FB- Shachar Zekaria ( the guy with the monkey on his hand :) )

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: Burner looking for a camp (late STEP ticket)

Post by lucky420 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:41 pm

Hola and hello...

You might have better luck if you look at the threads where camps are seeking new members. I think it works better that way rather than waiting for camps to contact you.

Best of luck!
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

anat
Burning Since: 1995
Camp Name: anat's love camp

Post by anat » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:47 am

Hi Wonderful people ,

I am Anat from Anat's Love Camp we are at 6 Public Plaza and we have a wonderful camp.
I go to Burning Man for 22 years.
We have space in our camp and would love to have you in my camp.
Call me or email me for more details, 510-4146064 , anatomi@earthlink.net
Thanks a lot
Anat

Paperman
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: EBB and Glow

Beautiful/Wacky sculptures looking for placement

Post by Paperman » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:11 pm

Hey folks, I making 5-10 or more 7'- 12' tall sculptures with a some panels to enclose a space for them. Looking for a theme camp to beautify. Basically 1' x 1' x 4' high plywood box with 7' papermache' sculptures on top. tested and wind proof. And can be (if wanted) enclosed by non wind resistant panels , 25' x 30' space. The theme is kinda a "underwater reef", But can custom make just about anything. Super light weight and compact. One example is a 10' tall mermaid/goddess with a 3' dia nautilus head. Easy to make , plenty of time. I'm used to a crew of 20 or more at build days. I'm looking for help in transport , help in finishing making them and a little bit of help in other ways too. If this sounds fun to you then lets get together and make some art for 2016 BM.

aed1127
Burning Since: 2014

Post by aed1127 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:33 pm

Shipwreck Tiki Lounge is always open to new faces. This is our 10th year as a camp! Plus we have AC in our vintage tiki bar. :)

PM for more details.

Annemarie
Funnel Girl

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:36 pm

Mason1985 wrote:Happy Tuesday to ya'll,

So it's both mine and my friends first time in the dust - RV has been booked (hoorah some cry, what a waste say others. I promise I hear you all!). A personal choice that we opted to make on our first expedition to Black Rock City.

I'm trying to understand the camps - the reasons / necessity of being welcomed to a camp VS arriving and parking in say a 'general' camp for the lost and unfortunate.

Is it a popularity contest similar to school?

Look forward to hearing from you!

The English Texan
It's about what you're looking for. :)

* If you're not in a placed theme camp, your time is more your own, and you're obligated primarily only to yourself, any acquaintances with you, & to keep the desert clean. Your infrastructure is whatever you can build and lash down, which might actually be very comfortable, depending on your skill level. You might still easily become a social hub on your block if you invite people over, play fun music, and/or have a party. You can still name yourself if you want, hang a sign and be a camp, even if you're not placed. And you can visit registered theme camps whenever they're open, and hang out.

* Joining a registered theme camp, on the other hand, requires you to provide a service to the city, & to work to some degree: either set-up or tear-down (or both), probably some theme shifts (like bartending, game-running, classes) and/or camp maintenance shifts (cooking, MOOPing). It also likely requires a fee. In exchange you get a reserved address, the responsibility to carry out the theme camp's mission with your crew, and whatever amenities the theme camp provides you as support and incentive. If your camp does a good job at fulfilling their mission and cleaning up after itself, they have a good chance of being welcomed to do it again.

Depending on your nature, you're probably leaning towards one or the other already.

Whether you're with a placed Theme Camp won't matter to most other people, from a social standpoint. When someone tells me where they camp, I can only be certain of their approximate address, and not much more than that. I don't think "Oh, they're part of a theme camp, they're a big deal!" or "Why does so-&-so not camp with a group?" . . . Not at all. I might ask a theme camper "Oh hey, when's that pub crawl I've heard about?" but it doesn't reflect poorly on someone not to have a camp. Camp quality varies anyway.

I tend to see the same questions spring up about Tents vs. RVs. (People get worried that folks in tents are persona non grata, but it doesn't work that way.)
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:28 pm

Mason and friend, welcome to ePlaya. I camp alone with others that camp alone. We are all self sufficient and share a shade structure, (That I bring.) People stop by and ask what camp is this. We have names but our camp doesn't. Many folks have been jealous of our freedom and lack of drama. Sure, we don't have showers or meals prepared for us. But we eat when we like and what we like. Baby wipes are a fair substitute for a hot bath. BRC is a busy place. The week flies by. We make new friends and try to find the old ones. It's like a cabin cruiser as opposed to a carnival cruise. They are both fun. I may become an organized camp some day but I'll never join one.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

knobdyspcl
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Existential Crisis

Post by knobdyspcl » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:30 am

Ratty wrote: I camp alone with others that camp alone. .
That's the perfect way to say what I and I"m sure many others are looking for in a neighbor hood camp.

Just say NO to Drama Lamas
Mir
the next man burns in 399 days
An existential crisis is a moment at which an individual questions the very foundations of their life: whether this life has any meaning, purpose, or value.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:33 am

The only way to escape the llama is to be fully independent.
It's not a bad option.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

EGAZ
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Post by EGAZ » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:04 pm

I'm of that mindset too. Camp with others that are Radically Self Reliant.

Or to put it another way. Self sufficient campers forming a camp.
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

Blue_Bike
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: As of 2017, Rootpile Bluegrass Camp

Re: newbs looking to be adopted,any veteran willing to help?

Post by Blue_Bike » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:28 pm

Gypsy Daisy wrote: ...Have faith that you will end up right where you belong...
To the OP and all coming for the first time:

All of what Gypsy Daisy said in her post above is exactly what I found to be true for my first burn, especially the part about having faith that you will end up where you belong. Her experience with finding a camp spot seems almost identical to mine. I too had planned on arriving during the day to make finding the "right" camp spot easier but didn't pass through the gates until after dark (very dark without a moon). Even though I didn't arrive until Tuesday night I quickly found plenty of space on L street and parked in a spot with lots of room between me and my immediate neighbors near 4:45. As it turned out it was right where I belonged, and could in no way have been better for me!

Although I had considered arranging to become part of an established camp my first burn, I chose to explore the radical self-reliance principle as a solo camper. I am glad I did and plan to do the same again this year. And I have kept in touch with another "solo" camper who was my neighbor last year, and we plan to solo camp in adjacent spots again this year.

Don't fear solo camping, prepare for it instead (and get ready to be amazed by the whole experience). And either way you go, solo or with a larger camp, prepare to meet many new people and make new friends.

That said, being part of an established theme camp can obviously be an excellent way to go. Advantages exist for both approaches. And as I explored the streets day or night I saw many larger camps that looked like they would be great to be a part of. Reading the various related posts here you will see that camps often want to vet you to see if they think you will be who they want as a new member. Imho, if you are wanting to be part of an established camp it is more important for you to vet them to make sure they will be right for you.

Camping solo (or with your friend/spouse/partner) for the first year or two will give you a greater chance of meeting the people and finding the camps who you will fit in well with. The number of fantastic camps there is almost overwhelming at first sight. Either way you go, the more you read, ask questions, and learn about Burning Man, the better the odds are that you will prepare to survive the experience successfully and want to return to BRC.

Best wishes to you for your virgin burn.
Fearlessly be Honest.
Honestly be Kind.
Tirelessly be Passionate.
Passionately be Creative.
Openly be Joyful.
Mindfully be the Person You Want to Be.

Return to “2016 Theme Camps & Villages”