People Seeking Camps 2016

Theme camps and villages are the interactive core of Burning Man. This is the place to announce and discuss camp and village plans for Burning Man 2016.
Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Re: Male sparkle pony needs a camp

Post by Dr. Pyro » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:10 pm

For a moment there I thought Sparr had changed his handle.

shakey_CA
Burning Since: 2004

Post by shakey_CA » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:17 pm

Who is Sparr? Now I want to meet Sparr in the dust and trade sarcasms

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:54 pm

Ten years and you got no friends to camp with?
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

shakey_CA

Post by shakey_CA » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:39 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:Ten years and you got no friends to camp with?
Why stick with known angels when you are in the one place where choosing unknown devils is not a huge penalty?

Prefer camping with a new group each year - been my playa theme so far, thanks to which you can always expand your horizons. Got friends at Dustfish, Vines without borders and another non-theme camp group. I volunteer extensively at BRC Boutique and Costco - know folks there too.

Playa is one of the few places where there is no need to stick with people you know unlike real life. You can "move in" with strangers and feel at home right away - try beating that in your Seattle or my bay area suburbia.

Gunslinger

Re: 24 y/o female ((turning 25 at burning man!)) first time burner looking for a camp

Post by Gunslinger » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:01 pm

Also, if you don't fine one before you go, not to worry... read up about the neighborhoods 10, 2, 6 etc and you can always just drop a tent in free camping space. I did that my first year and it was awesome. The neighbors I met were amazing and still talk to 2 of them.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:48 pm

Ok that makes sense.
Say hi to EspressoBuzz!

Baatarbing
Burning Since: 2014

8 Extremely awesome refugees looking for a home!

Post by Baatarbing » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:57 pm

Hi,

Due to some overly optimistic camp planners, my friends and I have been left without a home at the last minute. Although unfortunate, I think it provides us a good opportunity to make some new friends! There are 8 of us, a majority are vets of a few years (one being 19year vet), very friendly party people, open-minded, mostly in our 30s, half men/half women. We welcome the opportunity to work some camp events. We're looking for similar type mindset people with communal social area. If we seem like a good fit, please respond or PM me. Thanks!

justanta
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Whore's S'mores

Re: 8 Extremely awesome refugees looking for a home!

Post by justanta » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:59 pm

Since there are 8 of you, have you considered just creating your own camp? You will doubtless meet cool neighbors no matter where you camp, and with 8 of you, you have plenty of resources, both financial and labor wise, to make a really cool communal space for yourselves.

IDK, to me it seems a bit late to be looking for 8(!) open spots in someone else's camp.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:12 pm

Yeah, I've got to agree with Justanta - 8 people strong, and with a few years' experience under your belts.... you ARE a camp!

Baatarbing
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Baatarbing » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:36 pm

Your point is well taken, but it seems that joining a camp makes more sense for us because on short notice it's easier for us to pay for a little bit of infrastructure than it is to obtain our own. Also we don't have early access, so placement will be a bit more challenging. And joining another like minded camp will give us the opportunity to make some good friends.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:03 pm

Arriving after the gates and finding a spot is not that hard, see this post for tips. But if you want to join a larger group, good luck in making a connection.

TheBestThingEver
Burning Since: 2016

Female Birgin Seeking Home With Awesome Dancers/etc

Post by TheBestThingEver » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:04 pm

I'm looking for a mid-sized camp that loves fun, dance, good food, and good people.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:57 am

"Awesome Refugee Camp" It's a natural. My awesome camp is two people strong. Yours would be 4 times better. Go for it.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Bettytrix

Virgin Burner Couple Travelling Light from afar seeks camp.

Post by Bettytrix » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:20 am

We are an attractive, charming virgin burner couple in our 30s/40s basically travelling in from Europe with minimal possessions and looking for a camp. We have all sorts of interesting, entertaining skills (particularly around hypnosis) and are seeking a camp! We welcome anyone who can reach out and help us.

Bettytrix

Post by Bettytrix » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:29 am

If you do form a camp we'd be really interested to join!

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:25 am

I smell sparkle and unicorns.

I wonder what the backstory may be on this eloquence: "Due to some overly optimistic camp planners"

Token

Re: Female Birgin Seeking Home With Awesome Dancers/etc

Post by Token » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:30 am

Ballet, Strictly-Ballroom, Dance Dance Immolation?

You may want to expand a bit, you know, specifics, what you have to offer besides your enthusiasm, etc.

Token

Re: Virgin Burner Couple Travelling Light from afar seeks camp.

Post by Token » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:37 am

Hi Betty,

Your best bet is to actively contact camps and search the boards for camps looking for new members.

There is way more demand than there is supply for you post to be productive.

Doing your own search and showing initiative and drive to get this done is the best way to do. No one will do this for you.

Good luck.

p.s. you know that around half of the BRC denizens are old and ugly, and we take pride in that ;)

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:50 am

If you don't spot any camps still looking for campers at this stage in the forum you've posted in:
viewforum.php?f=468

. . . you could rent two RVs or a couple of cargo vans & buy the supplies for monkey huts (if you lay the PVC diagonally, it'll fit and you can get at least a pair of bikes into each, maybe some on the outside too). Shade is the most important, as you know . . . you can easily get by without a camp kitchen.

viewtopic.php?t=35430

As the others have noted, eight people is a lot to add to a camp at the last second (a camp hasn't had your camp fees to put towards infrastructure in the last few months, so absent these resources they are at this point, probably thinking smaller) and most camps are done with registration.

Don't forget to lead with your skills when you approach camps still accepting members. Experienced, friendly and open-minded are awesome, but tell them what you do (Build, repair, cook, bartend, haul out a lot of trash in a capacious truck, tear down at the end?)

Best of luck to you. :)
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Bettytrix

Post by Bettytrix » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:16 pm

Thanks Token - will follow you advice! I'm sure after a week in the desert we will be as old and ugly as any!

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:26 pm

Welcome to ePlaya!

Mr Token has good advice. BM placed camps range from super tight long term hard working participants building massive installations to lightweight and casual. I think there is an example of the latter in the couchsurfer camp if that still exists. There are probably others which support international visitors.

If you live in a burner city, reach out to them by the regional directory on the main BM site and FB. Listing your home geo location in your ePlaya profile helps.

If you plan to participate in 2017, visit camps at the event and engage them.

Easy to camp solo and meet so many for future camp participation! We have had vociferous debates on ePlaya about joining a camp vs solo which you can search.

Same suggestion applies to all camp seekers.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Re: I need to join a camp

Post by Savannah » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:33 pm

cmiller404 wrote:Hello Burners,

This is my first year at BurningMan and I am very excited. However I don't have a camp group and I am seeing that you can apply to join for one, however I don't see where or how you apply to join one. I will be coming to BurningMan solo so I believe it is important that I find a group. Can someone please help me?
The link Dr. Helix is mentioning is here:
viewforum.php?f=468

But he's right, you don't need a theme camp. Those are optional--& even not necessarily right for you as a person. (You can visit them all the time instead.)

If you approach one a camp, don't lead with your helplessness; lead with your skills and why you like their theme or approach and would fit with their goals or mission as a camp. Know that this is very late in the year to join a camp, however, and registration is often closed.

Make sure to read the Survival Guide linked in my signature as well . . . you want to be able to take care of yourself, whether or not you find a camp. Independence and knowledge are highly valued (and highly needed) out there.

You'll also want to join your local groups . . . you might find a friend, camp or small group:
http://regionals.burningman.org

Good luck! :D
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Hibbuki
Camp Name: PZPZ

Two Burners from Israel looking for a camp

Post by Hibbuki » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:28 pm

Me and my friend Oren are looking for a camp!

We are both burners from Israel, from camp PZPZ where you can come and pop bubble wrap :) We were in charge of the camps gifting, and we helped build everything up before the event, so you're getting two burners who can take care of themselves while making every body around have a great time as well.

That being said, it's my first Burning Man in Navada, so I'm super (super) excited!

In the picture from my last visit: Oren taking me on a tour, SF style

Mail: myselfandfredy@gmail.com

Zzzaaakkk

46 male new to playa. Hoping to rv at a camp

Post by Zzzaaakkk » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:25 pm

46 male. Charcoal artist , construction worker and free spirit. Looking for community camp. I'll pull my fair share. Rv and generator( quiet) ig-georgezak1

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:07 pm

Radical Self Reliance.
Read the Survival Guide and don't be a drain on those of us who do what it says.

Hoverdave
Camp Name: Looking

Post by Hoverdave » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:22 pm

Captain I hope I get to meet you. I like your style.

Mansoon

Post by Mansoon » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:38 pm

Did you find anything yet? Our camp is unfortunately filled, but I actually stumbled across another Camp looking for exactly 8 people on Facebook. Things are changing rapidly this close to the barn so let me know soon as you can if you're still seeking

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:24 pm

Hoverdave wrote:Captain I hope I get to meet you. I like your style.
I'll hold him and you can hit him. KIDDING!!!
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:31 pm

Just a quick note: Please be a little suspicious about any camp that would take 8 campers on such short notice. This is not to say that ALL camps with such space are suspect, but at this late date the ratio will certainly be skewed.

As a point of reference, search for "camp Gypsy Flower Power" and read about some of those 200 folks who got fleeced.

Scammers and con artists are out there, and they like to prey on last minute groups. The BMorg has called a couple out, but its like playing whack-a-mole. Every year there is a new crop.

Good luck, and beware...
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Mansoon

Post by Mansoon » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:18 pm

Well, that might be good advice in some circumstances, but this camp isn't asking for any dues. :P They are a new camp, they had some people drop out, seem extremely chill and laid back and just barely there, and just want to present a strong enough presence so that way next year the org looks upon them kindly. That's why I'm keeping who they are on the downlow, because I'm hoping to maybe shack up with them if the music camp I just found out is placed next to us is too loud. I had this happen before, and I'm not interested in having the little sleep I get interrupted by someone's 3-hour Phish song. By the way, I'm a nine-year, so I'm not casting aspersions without merit. Looking at the nature of the music camp, it looks like that's exactly what they do, and I think they wrap up and I could finally get some sleep ... just about the time I normally have slept, woken up, got ready and would be going out.

Return to “2016 Theme Camps & Villages”