People Seeking Camps 2016

Theme camps and villages are the interactive core of Burning Man. This is the place to announce and discuss camp and village plans for Burning Man 2016.
bigbait
Burning Since: 2014

Third timer seeks theme camp somewhere B through G

Post by bigbait » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:55 am

29/male/California seeks chill theme camp for this year's burn

I come with all my food, water, shelter (6ft hexayurt stretch), equipment, and small pick-up truck (Ford Ranger) with room for a passenger after the burn.

Your camp is ideally cool, respectful, fun, and somewhere between B and G. A camp with a bar is great as long as I can help bartend :)

Please leave a comment or pm me with your details. For campers coming from the SF Bay area, let's try to meet up before the burn to talk more!

XO

nagavanka
Burning Since: 2016

Solo burner is looking for a camp

Post by nagavanka » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:44 am

Hi all,

This is my first year at Burning Man. A little bit excited and scared as I am going to fest solo. That's why I am looking for some camp to join (if it is still possible).
* I can help you with cooking
* cleaning
* I have some experience in doing relaxing massage
* several years ago I was participating in fire theater, so have poing experience

Ping me if you have place at your camp .

Thanks,
Tania.

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Re: 8 Extremely awesome refugees looking for a home!

Post by GreyCoyote » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:58 pm

Sounds like a winner, Mansoon! Good camps abound but getting into one can be tough business sometimes. Glad it worked out for you.
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Mansoon

Re: 8 Extremely awesome refugees looking for a home!

Post by Mansoon » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:52 pm

Well, it wasn't mostly for me , I just stumbled across them looking for people for my own camp, and I haven't gotten in yet, because the thing about a no dues camp is that they can be so laid-back that they don't even reply for weeks at a time when they put up a post looking for new members. I'm hoping they can help me out if I need it, and/or help these people out, but of course, some answer two days before the burn is less useful then an answer three weeks before. but, other than that, thanks :D

burnalot

Re: Three easygoing people looking for a camp!

Post by burnalot » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:36 am

Thank you everyone, it's amazing you can reach out like this to total strangers and get so many good replies! We've found a camp, so now we're hoping to see you all at the playa!

maryanimal
Burning Since: 2011

Re: 1st Timer from Spokane, WA interested in joining a camp

Post by maryanimal » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:54 pm

I'm a Spokane Burner! We have a group of people that go to BM, but we all have different camps we live in! Check out our facebook page,
)'( Spokane Burners )'( Our Decompression (we call it our Decomposition) is in late October to early Nov. We call it Wildwood because we camp in the woods in the Colville Forest. We've been using the same spot for four years. We're trying to get some theme camps to come and represent. Hit us up if you're interested! :D
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Three easygoing people FOUND a camp!

Post by trilobyte » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:02 pm

Congrats, and thanks for posting an update. Good luck on the adventure and hope to see you out there!

mariagauthier
Burning Since: 2010

Solo lady looking for camp to join

Post by mariagauthier » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:57 pm

Greetings all,

I am traveling solo to my second burn and am hoping to join a theme camp. I am very easy going and love to have a good time. I will be bringing a small aliner pop up to sleep in if possible (with room to share if need be), and am willing to help out around camp any way I can. Please contact me with your info if you can help me out. Thanks for your consideration.

Blessings,
Maria

uncle sticky
Camp Name: Camp Settle This Like Men

what's with people looking for a camp

Post by uncle sticky » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:15 pm

Back in my day, when we had to walk to burning man, both ways, in the snow, you showed up with not enough stuff and suffered in the heat, and camped in the camping areas. Theme camps were a bunch of people who knew each other and came up with this stuff, and camped together. When did everyone start joining camps they'd never met? I've gotten multiple requests to join my camp from people I have never met, and there's like ten of us doing our little thing. I'm sure they're all wonderful, but is this a big shift in the participants or the culture?
The handbasket to hell is leaving. Hop in world!

mrchiff
Burning Since: 1999

Re: what's with people looking for a camp

Post by mrchiff » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:20 pm

I've noticed this too, for some reason everybody thinks they need a camp to camp. I can't answer as to why but I will support the fact that it seems to be an ever increasing need for some folks.

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Post by mudpuppy000 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:41 pm

Well, with 25,000 tickets going to theme camps I can see why it's shifting in that direction.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:55 pm

It is a a slow and gradual shift that has been occurring over the last several years.

Years and years ago, you rarely ever saw such a thread. In a culture that places high value on radical self reliance, posting a thread basically begging a camp to reach out and take you in seemed (to me, anyways), like a massive radical self reliance failure. There was a partial list of placed theme camps, as well as threads being posted by many different camps that were actively recruiting or seeking new members... it seemed that the very least you could do if you needed to find a camp was to look through that publicly available information and reach out to a group that you wanted to try and be a part of.

As the event has grown over time, a few things happened. In the early years, most new burners were being introduced to the event through another participant... they had burner friends and connections with which to find a camp. Over time, largely in part due to the images and videos posted on social media, many new burners discover the event completely independently. They may not be friends with any burners, but they saw these pictures or this video, or they read an article and thought HOLY CRAP, I HAVE TO GO TO THIS! They dive in and start trying to figure it out, often from a great distance, but without the benefit of having a built-in support network. They are not already acculturated, and so radical self reliance is still an undiscovered country. Not knowing any better, they post a thread. Some of the site's regulars are welcoming and helpful and try to point them in the right direction or give genuinely helpful advice (thank you to those who do that year in and year out), and some suddenly start forgetting about radical inclusion (welcome and respect the stranger), and they post snarky or outright mean replies that are more likely to chase people away than they are to help with acculturation.

At the same time the above was happening, the growth and evolution of theme camps has contributed. While many camps are still just small and intimate groups of friends who all pitch in on the work and the expense, others have become pretty sophisticated operations. Not only to they build and bring great things to the playa (bars, sound systems, stages for bands, events, etc), but they've figured out how to scale their operations up in a way that works for their group. Recognizing that many new burners don't have that established burner friends network, they open their membership up to anyone - either they have open enrollment camp meetings, or they allow people to sign up through a form on their camp's web site. On the whole I think that's a good thing, but in some cases it has helped to create what I can only describe as dues mills... camps who've built their operations around attracting participants willing to pay premium dues for attractive amenities and prime locations for fairly minimal participation. Where it used to be that in order to participate in a big camp, you had to work all year... now you can be a part of a big Esplanade (or other prime real estate) camp at the last minute, if you're willing to pay their premium price. To be clear, these aren't malicious turnkey/plug & play operators, but larger scale camps that generally contribute a lot to the city.

That's what I think we've been seeing over the last several years. All those different things, evolving and changing. If we want to see an uptick in acculturation and a reduction in the number of seeking camp/where do I camp threads, I think it requires more positive reinforcement and education. Rather than responding critically or sarcastically or attacking the random stranger who doesn't know better (I'm not saying that's you, but it's a pattern of behavior we see on the boards), help them learn... they can be their own camp, or they can take steps to find a camp for themselves if they feel a strong desire to camp in a larger group.

Yangliyu

solo charcoal artist look for a nice camp to stay

Post by Yangliyu » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:32 pm

hi i can do some charcoal portraits for the ppl come to your camp plus help out some,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

shakey_CA

Re: Male sparkle pony needs a camp

Post by shakey_CA » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:47 pm

That sounds awesome. I will definitely come by and check it out.

Topic Update - I found a chill wine camp for this year (very good folks who are kind enough to accept this sparkle pony).
glitterpetal723 wrote:Hiiii!

Check out Taste of Childhood Camp. We are happy to accept new members.

The basic idea of our camp is to bring back memories of childhood through our taste buds. Last year, we did Kool Aid, reminiscent of American childhood. This year, we are looking to add a few more childhoods. There's talks of Ukrainian and Guatemalan childhoods! Our camp events are mobile and we serve drinks and snacks from our bike baskets. We also have an amazing artist that will be joining our camp so stay tuned for more information on our art studio events.

Check us out on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/503792793115968/

xoxo,
Mrs. Hamster

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:01 pm

Eplayans are probably the most overly prepared people at the burn.
burning Man for the other 51 weeks
It's a natural response to resent and dismiss the uneducated, lazy and unprepared. They could easily do their own research. A lot of them have been told we are a helpful group so they come here totally dependent on our knowledge. Have they read the survival guide? Maybe. Are they willing to dig into eplaya and find the camp of their dreams? Not likely. If the post is too selfish I resist the urge to correct them. (If you don't have anything nice to say....etc....)

On the other hand, I think this is a useful thread. We keep posting the same info over and over. "You don't need an organized camp." Spend your money on gear instead of dues. Most of them will 'get' that after they arrive. My little camp of 2 is just fine and we hardly ever die. I can't remember how I survived the first year but I had a ball and didn't join up with a bunch of strangers to do it.

Those people posting will be contacted by the usual money hungry camps. They will most likely have a great burn and do it differently next time. If I can't contain my ire I'll post it on page 2 where it belongs.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:15 pm

Direct result of commodification of the largest de-commodification sub-culture ever.

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:22 pm

There have been several threads with positive reinforcement on this with little or no change.

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is moronic - especially without even trying different approaches.

I try to make my posts helpful and I'm rarely snarky, but I'm not sure that being a carebear should be a requirement for posting here. I really miss the old Eplaya.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

zorro sings
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Hostel

Re: Solo lady looking for camp to join

Post by zorro sings » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:30 pm

Hi Maria, My reply to your reply/ IM is in the dreaded "out box" where judging by past results it could remain forever. Best to contact for further information at thunter885@aol.com thanks
Be careful. You can spend all your money in there..............................Oriental Visitor

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

How to go to burning Man without joining a 'camp'

Post by Ratty » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:00 pm

It's the current trend to pay strangers to bring your infrastructure and join a camp. That's not the only way to go. Plenty of us camp alone or with a few friends. We don't pay dues or make schedules for camp duties. With a little research and prep you can bring everything you need. If you feel like volunteering or gifting something to the community you need only to read the BM website, sign up, and be a participant not a tourist.

I camp alone with others that camp alone. We are all self sufficient. Our time is our own as it should be on vacations. We all volunteer in different departments. Greeters, Playa Info, Census etc...We bring swag as gifts and welcome friends into our camp for a drink. None of us have ever belonged to a camp. Not that it's a bad thing. It's just not necessary. We share what we can.

Once I decided to attend I read the survival guide and went shopping. I loaded the van and went to the burn. What could be simpler? Every year I discover one more thing to do. Whether it's the fashion show or Monday night fireworks I'll be busy and laid back the whole week. The playa has never failed to impress and I probably won't be joining a camp anytime soon.

Would I be better off if I joined a camp? Would I have more free time or see more sights? I'll probably never know. My father used to say, "There is no wrong way to grow tomatoes".
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:15 pm

Drawingablank wrote:There have been several threads with positive reinforcement on this with little or no change.

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is moronic - especially without even trying different approaches.
Unless every post is in the same exact thread, you're not "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results", because you're not talking to the same person.

That's the point both trilo & Ratty were making - a lot of these new posters haven't dug into the boards, and they haven't read the other posts asking about joining a camp (and, honestly, these thousands of threads probably look scary to someone who is nervous, and they don't know where to begin). If they drive you that crazy, stop clicking on them. Think of them as click-bait, just like you would when you're cruising the web, and ignore them if they don't interest you. Bitch (without naming names) on Page Two, because, honestly, repeating the same thing to new people has been standard MO on the board forever - people bitched about it when I joined in '03.

Another suggestion: create a cut & paste reply with links to pertinent threads. It answers the question, guides a newbie in the right direction should they choose to take the advise, and only requires the bare minimum of time - once - for you to set it up.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

danibel
Burning Since: 2009

Post by danibel » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:33 pm

mudpuppy000 wrote:Well, with 25,000 tickets going to theme camps I can see why it's shifting in that direction.
I heard that up to 50% of this year's tickets went to out of US buyers. I have no idea if this is true, but it seems likely, due to the huge amount of people posting looking for camps. It's happening in all the FB Burning Man groups, and to be frank, I am finding it incredibly annoying. I agree with Trilo's assessment - a lot of people are coming that have no connections and they think they need a camp. I am deeply concerned about the level of preparation these folks are doing. Do they even know what MOOP is? They do they know what they are getting in to? I know it's not necessary to do a year of planning and researching, but I do worry about the physical safety of the burgins. And the physical safety of the event. If people have an easy ride and they don't care about the community, just what they can "get," it's going to be very hard on DPW and the people that care to leave no trace. I hope the ORG is paying attention and plans on some big LNT propaganda push.
In dust we trust.

EGAZ
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Post by EGAZ » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:39 pm

I agree!! First and foremost BM is a very difficult camping trip for the non-camper set. The fact is that many Burgins have never 'camped' in their life. So they have no idea of what works and what doesn't. What tent or sleeping bag works, cooler management, ice management, water management, food/drink prep, personal hygiene, etc., etc. Hell, learning how to pack it all is a learning experience and takes a few trips to figure out. They haven't camped for a day or three, let alone ten. There is no where to buy anything for miles being out in the boonies. Then throw in the possibility of 50'F temp swings, wind & rain, many are overwhelmed. So they look for a camp with most of this covered. Which allows them to show up with the least amount of planning, effort & gear.

Sure there are the ones flying in having limited space for gear, I get that. So an 'established' camp would make sense to them.

This may sound strange coming from a Burgin, but camping in the desert for years has allowed me bypass this camping 'uncertainty' and focus on just tweaking what I have done for years. Which doesn't require an established camp. (I have been approached by three camps to join them, and had three others ask about Camp2, I'm a Burgin! I've not been there yet!. ;) ) I'm sure I will be part of one sometime. But it will be after meeting them on the playa. Observing how they do things, why they do what they do. Them doing the same with me. Kind of a mutual interview. If it fits, we sits. If it don't, we won't.

To me if one is Radically Self Reliant, the odds of me needing to be Radically Inclusive will be reserved for those that really need to be included, Not the lazy or unprepared. BM happens once a year. No reason not to be prepared.

Being the Care Bear or the Snark King will not change the posters' behavior. (and, honestly, these thousands of threads probably look scary to someone who is nervous, and they don't know where to begin). Really?!? If a forum board scares someone, how do they function in life? Do they have someone 'hand hold' them on every aspect of it? If one cannot spend the time to do, at least, some basic research on any topic they want to know more about, be it BM or other, I don't know what to tell them. :?

I see it on other sites I frequent and have admin/modded on over the years. I have noticed that many just to go to the net and ask questions. If they entered the question in a search, they would have more info then they wanted. But they want someone else to filter it, 'Someone will answer it.' they say in their head. That's how many think these days. I don't need to do any research, its all on their phone........ 8)

I help those who help themselves, the lazy may get what they're looking for, but it comes with some amount of pain..... :mrgreen:
Last edited by EGAZ on Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:40 pm

Last year I was cruising around early Sunday morning at first light and ran across several of the previous night's burn sites. I could not believe the amount of shit that people left EVERYWHERE, it was rather overwhelming. I'd never seen it as bad.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

EGAZ
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Re: How to go to burning Man without joining a 'camp'

Post by EGAZ » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:04 pm

Go to my profile. Start at my intro post and read all the rest of them. It's only 300 as of this post.
Follow along as I made my way through BM prep. I can post my bookmark list, miles long, if you want it.

Do the same for ZigZag. The difference is she is in a tent, I'm in an RV.
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

Drawingablank

Post by Drawingablank » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:15 pm

I am trying to be pro active so here is an excerpt from my Birgin Guide:

Theme Camping

Something that lately has gotten lots of attention is joining a theme camp. For some reason many new burners think it is something they must do to have a good burn.

The reality is you can have a great burn without joining a theme camp, and joining a theme camp of people you don't know can actually ruin your burn (due to drama, personality conflicts, amount of work expected from you, and a slew of other reasons). The potential for problems as at least equal to the potential benefits.

What Is A Theme Camp

Most theme camps start with a small group of friends that share a vision or other goal of what they want their playa experience to be like or what they want to offer the residents of Black Rock City. Many have grown from small groups of friends to massive camps or even villages, but most started the same way.

With most theme camps there will be a core group that live near each other and spend a lot of time pre and post burn on maintenance, building, storing, and so on.

They come in all shapes and sizes from those that are small and just offer a few events, to massive operations that take as much planning and work as the invasion of Normandy. Some have communal kitchens where everyone is expected to work a shift or two, many don't. Some have showers, some don't. Some rent private porto potties, most don't. Most expect at least a minimum amount of time working in camp.

Some have no dues, most do have some form of dues. Beware camps that have high dues and "will supply most of what you need" such as shade, tents, sleeping bags, water, food, etc... There have been more than a few burners who showed up to camps like these only to find the camp leader flaked out (either intentionally or due to other circumstances) and not only were they out hundreds of dollars, but here they were in the desert without even the minimum stuff needed for survival. Remember the burn is about radical self reliance, so don't be caught out by something like this.

Reasons To Join A Theme Camp
•You share their vision (whatever it may be).
•You like the people in the camp.
•You feel you are a good fit.
•You have a skill or something else to help with their vision.

Reasons Not To Join A Theme Camp (or reasons they might not want you)
•I am flying in and it will be so much easier not to have to bring ________________.
•They have a shower.
•I want access to an early entry pass or directed sale ticket (most camps that get these use them for their core members and won't offer them to new members anyway).
•They have an Art Car / Mutant Vehicle.
•They have a nice kitchen.
•They provide _______________.
•Basically anything that is about what they can do for you as opposed to what you can do for them.

Bear in mind that many people in theme camps have been working hard for months every year to make it happen. They might not be so accepting of last minute folks looking to join.

Solo Camping

Solo camping means camping in a non theme camp - not necessarily camping alone. In Black Rock City solo camping is not really solo camping as you will get to know your neighbors and make lots of new friends. I still keep in touch with many of my neighbors from my first year when we were solo camping, and we try to meet up at each burn.

My Advice

This is my best wisdom on the subject - take it or not, it's your decision.

Don't join a theme camp just for the sake of joining a theme camp. Do not join a theme camp of people you have never met - it could turn out wonderful, but it could ruin your burn.

A better way would be to meet burners in your regional area and find a good fit that way. Or camp solo your first year and if you find a theme camp that appeals to you - ask about joining for the following year (this is what I did, and I have no regrets).
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:22 pm

It's camping.

It's not that fucking hard
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:28 pm

You absolutely don't need to be a carebear, drawingablank. Use the same guidelines that you'd use on the playa - see something that you don't like or are not interested in? Keep moving - just like you'll pass the camp playing that song you don't like or doing something you're not interested and find something else in no time.... there are tons of discussions on the board.

Drawingablank

Post by Drawingablank » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:32 pm

Apparently for some people it is.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:35 pm

Well we all could STFU and watch them squirm.

Thats not too bad, a bit less fun, but if observed in a greater culture jamming scope, way more epic than the regular routine. We would need some discipline to make it stick.

In my book, if you don't bother to read the survival guide, your only purpose is to keep Burning Man potentially lethal.

And fuck Radical Inclusion, that applies to people that get the other 9 to begin with.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:51 pm

Then they should get a fucking clue and read the guides like we all did. Fuckers
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Return to “2016 Theme Camps & Villages”