Map of theme camp areas vs open camping

Theme camps and villages are the interactive core of Burning Man. This is the place to announce and discuss camp and village plans for Burning Man 2016.
johnsw71
Burning Since: 2007

Map of theme camp areas vs open camping

Post by johnsw71 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:35 am

Hello 2016 burners!
I've seen maps in past years of the areas that are slated for open camping (as opposed to those reserved for theme camps). Can anybody point me to where the 2016 version of this map is? I've looked all over the BM info sites but can't seem to locate it.

Hugs of gratitude!
Gobo

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Re: Map of theme camp areas vs open camping

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:59 am

You'll be given one by the greeters as you come in.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:11 pm

It has been out for a while.

Here is the link

Happy Camping!

johnsw71

Post by johnsw71 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:40 pm

Thanks for the map link. That seems to be just the street layout/names but does not show designated locations of theme camps and where open camping is. I suppose it's not available until we get there.

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:39 pm

John, read it again.

The information you're looking for is in the link Token gave you. If you can't find it there, good luck navigating the city.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:19 pm

johnsw71 wrote:Thanks for the map link. That seems to be just the street layout/names but does not show designated locations of theme camps and where open camping is. I suppose it's not available until we get there.
I think I recognize the source of the confusion--as someone who's never been you might be expecting camp names or squares marked off. Nope! It's all color. The lavender shading on the map marks theme camp areas. Camp in the white areas that aren't in the middle on the map (that's the Esplanade; no driving!)

Check with your closest neighbors, even if a space looks open. Communication makes for a happy week.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

johnsw71

Post by johnsw71 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:36 pm

Thanks for the kind reply Savannah. In all the years I've been before, I remember seeing a map that was more clearly delineated between white and shaded. The one that was linked is perfectly symmetrical in the pattern and so the purple shading just looked decorative, especially since it gets all light and fuzzy toward the pointy edges (near 3:00, 4:30, 6:00, etc.). Also, since there is no legend stating that white areas are open and purple areas are theme camps, I was convinced that this was not the map that shows that. Thanks for bridging the gap with kindness instead of condescending sarcasm. <3

Savannah wrote:
johnsw71 wrote:Thanks for the map link. That seems to be just the street layout/names but does not show designated locations of theme camps and where open camping is. I suppose it's not available until we get there.
I think I recognize the source of the confusion--as someone who's never been you might be expecting camp names or squares marked off. Nope! It's all color. The lavender shading on the map marks theme camp areas. Camp in the white areas that aren't in the middle on the map (that's the Esplanade; no driving!)

Check with your closest neighbors, even if a space looks open. Communication makes for a happy week.

Return to “2016 Theme Camps & Villages”