Looking to share RV (4 ladies)

Materials, expertise and rides...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let people know about it here.
kmaxwell1987
Burning Since: 2016

Looking to share RV (4 ladies)

Post by kmaxwell1987 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:53 am

Hi everyone,
I've been looking into RV's, but it seems like with just 4 people the rates are too much. There are four of us (25-31yr old ladies) looking to share an RV with others. We don't care if it is men, preferably around the same age though. We can come from LA, Sacramento, or Reno. If anyone is interested in renting an RV together or has an RV with space and wants to just have us pay you directly we would be up for it. Thanks! Email me if so.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: Looking to share RV (4 ladies)

Post by Ratty » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:40 am

Ladies. Good luck. Be careful with your money and yourselves. This isn't the safest way to hitch hike. You should meet the person first. See if you want to be that close to them for a week. Copy their ID etc...

Or you could just mail a couple thousand to some random person and cross your fingers. Yes. I'm being very catty. Not everyone who reads this board is a good person. Please be careful.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:47 am

If I get a ticket, you ladies are welcome to come stay in my trailer. I promise, I'm not too creepy...
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:47 am

It might be worth pointing out that larger RV's can be a lot more of a challenge to operate. A 4-5 person RV (good for 4 people at Burning Man) is about the length of a box truck like you'd rent for a cross-town move. An 8 person RV is more than 30' long, is trickier to drive, and probably gets significantly worse gas mileage. Keeping an RV clean, as well as doing the post-burn clean-up (always return the gear in as good or better shape than when you rented it) gets more complicated with each person staying in it.

You may also want to mention if anyone in your group has experience driving vehicles that size, or what kind of travel dates that you're looking at. Whether you have specific dates for pickup/drop-off in mind, or are flexible and have a date range, it may be helpful to mention that info. Good luck!

A-RockLeFrench
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: BONERPILLAR

Post by A-RockLeFrench » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:12 pm

Jackass wrote:If I get a ticket, you ladies are welcome to come stay in my trailer. I promise, I'm not too creepy...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:42 pm

Spend some time poking around these threads, you might find an rv isn't necessary or even preferred.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:50 pm

Ahemm, there ain't no banjo playin in my neck-o-the-woods... I offer only posh, first-class accommodations.

Burning Man 2013 041.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

EspressoDude

Post by EspressoDude » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:37 pm

As mentioned before and elsewhere, RV's drive like a big box truck; only far worse because they are often overloaded, particularly in the ass end, so they go down the road like a waddling duck. Gas mileage is about 8mpg. An RV that claims to sleep 6 - 8 only has room for 2-3 folks, plus all their gear. The fold out sofa 5 ft long sleeps 2 and must be made up before anyone can get out the door, and the dinette ( 4 x 5 1/2 ft ) needs to be made up before anyone can eat. There is only about 40 gallons fresh water which can used up in 2 - 3 showers.

Figure on one full day of unpacking and cleaning when you get back to reality. Most RV rental outfits charge $350 - $500 premium for taking it to the desert. They are built as light and cheap as possible, so messing around inside, or on the roof can get really expensive.

Whose credit card is covering the rental; and hence any damages.

If you do rent one, check the tires for wear and cracking before you leave the lot. The 1/8 mile from highway to playa is pit run rock and is hell on old tires, as is Jungo road. Most rental RV's do not have spare tires because renters do not know how to change them.
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:05 pm

EspressoDude wrote:As mentioned before and elsewhere, RV's drive like a big box truck; only far worse because they are often overloaded, particularly in the ass end, so they go down the road like a waddling duck. Gas mileage is about 8mpg. An RV that claims to sleep 6 - 8 only has room for 2-3 folks, plus all their gear. The fold out sofa 5 ft long sleeps 2 and must be made up before anyone can get out the door, and the dinette ( 4 x 5 1/2 ft ) needs to be made up before anyone can eat. There is only about 40 gallons fresh water which can used up in 2 - 3 showers.

Figure on one full day of unpacking and cleaning when you get back to reality. Most RV rental outfits charge $350 - $500 premium for taking it to the desert. They are built as light and cheap as possible, so messing around inside, or on the roof can get really expensive.

Whose credit card is covering the rental; and hence any damages.

If you do rent one, check the tires for wear and cracking before you leave the lot. The 1/8 mile from highway to playa is pit run rock and is hell on old tires, as is Jungo road. Most rental RV's do not have spare tires because renters do not know how to change them.
All true, especially about the size. It's a lot like tents that claim to sleep 4 (it's plenty comfortable for 1 person).

A friend of mine has an RV that sleeps 6, but that means:

* 1 master bedroom with a double bed
* 1 fold out double bed in front of the main door (it's difficult to skirt it when it's unfolded, but technically possible)
* 2 single bunks near the bathroom.

I've stayed in it before and it was great for 2 people, and a 3rd would've been okay, but 4 would probably be the max.

Since it's rare to find an RV that can sleep more than 4 folks plus the owner/driver, who probably doesn't wanna share the master bedroom (he might, but that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish). :)

If you don't find an RV situation, you could do two 2-seater cargo vans.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:58 pm

If you're going to put more than a couple in an RV, it is wise to also pitch a tent or two to use for storage (shoes, coats, water) and outboard sleeping quarters.
It is inevitable, with 4 or more, that some will want to sleep while others are gearing up.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

caffeineslinger
Burning Since: 2003

Post by caffeineslinger » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:53 pm

RVs are for two people only. I don't care how many it says it sleeps. If you've got four plus a few strangers, all the amenities will be maxed out by the second day. Maybe a couple tents would be better.

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp

Post by dragonpilot » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:40 pm

During my RV-sharing days (don't do that ANYMORE) I wrote up a long list of BM RV RULZ...which only 2 responsible people paid any attention to (me and maybe one other). PM me if you'd like a copy of the RULZ.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Meat Hunter » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:43 pm

Every time I read on e-playa about a full load of folks planning on living comfortably in an RV on the playa for a week, I have a private chuckle.

I remember the post where someone wrote about their trip to the playa when they had four people on board. On day two, one of the folks decided to take a long hot shower and used up the whole weeks supply of water.

And, another Burner who posted how the flush lever on their rental RV stuck in the flush position and the whole week's supply of water dumped into the black water tank.

I am of the opinion that three folks on an RV (of any size) is one person too many.
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:28 pm

Sounds like a clown-car comedy of errors waiting to happen.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Post by Thecatman » Fri May 06, 2016 9:25 pm

"assuming you have a vehicle pass" if you rent an rv.
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!

"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

Return to “2016 Rideshares & Resource Sharing”