Attention Theme Camp Leads – Scheduling help available

Materials, expertise and rides...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let people know about it here.
onemandown

Attention Theme Camp Leads – Scheduling help available

Post by onemandown » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:51 am

Theme Camp leads,
I’m here to offer you and your camp access to the software the Burning Man Organization uses to schedule many of the volunteers for its internal teams. This software is a robust scheduling tool that enables reasonably easy shift scheduling and tracking for a variety of types of work shifts, from kitchen shifts, to set-up/teardown shifts, to theme camp related event and volunteer shifts.
I’ve personally used this software to schedule all of the volunteers for Playa Info for the last 6 years. The year after Playa Info started using it, the Café at center camp began using it for their scheduling. This has grown in popularity to where now the BM org at large is using it across many of the internal teams for the last 3 years.
I was approached by the leadership of Playa Bike Repair and asked if we could assist in setting up a similar system for the Theme Camps. I’m happy to report that we were able create a theme camp instance of the software that we can use for interested theme camps. This instance has all of the tools available that I’ve used to schedule Playa Info. To be clear, this instance is separate from the official BM org instance, and has been created exclusively for Theme Camps that wish to use this toolset. While the BM org is aware we are offering this to the community, this instance is not related to the BM org.
If you are interested in utilizing these tools for your theme camp, you can contact me at trey@onemandown.com.

A little about me:
I’m Trey Watkins. This is my 13th year burning consecutively. I manage the scheduling for Playa Info and have been a PI volunteer for the last 11 years. I also create some large scale playa art on odd number years. I also lead a registered Theme Camp called Frogma (unofficial since 03, registered since 07). When Playa Info needed a new scheduling tool 6 years ago I did a bit of research and chose this tool from the available ones. I negotiated a rate we found reasonable and we’ve been using it ever since.
For the inevitable questions from the skeptics… while yes this is a commercial piece of software, no this is not being used to line anyone’s pockets. I’m personally donating the cost associated with running the tool this year.
In Summary this is a way I believe I can offer some of my experience and expertise back to the Theme Camp community to hopefully make your lives a little easier as you enrich the burner community at large. If this sounds like something you’d be interested in utilizing, feel free to reach out and I’ll talk you through the details. If this doesn’t fit your needs, I look forward to experiencing what you bring to the playa as I wander the dust.
Thanks for your time,
Trey

P.S. I’m not mentioning the name of the tool so as to avoid advertising it.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: Attention Theme Camp Leads – Scheduling help available

Post by Token » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:53 pm

You should land this in the JRS. Bigger audience.

Not enough traction here on Eplaya. There's like 50 or so folks creating 95% of the posts here, with no lives and a dozen sock puppets each. ;)

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: Attention Theme Camp Leads – Scheduling help available

Post by Ratty » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:30 pm

hey! I resent that. Me and Abba Zabba may want a fancy schmancy online schedule for the 2 of us.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Return to “2016 Rideshares & Resource Sharing”