Wait You're Going The Wrong Way...Yes I know

Materials, expertise and rides...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let people know about it here.
lazerfox

Wait You're Going The Wrong Way...Yes I know

Postby lazerfox » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:46 pm

So my boss bought tickets for a work training on Tuesday of the burn and now I have to find a ride from BRC to Reno airport on Monday...yes, you read that right Monday, Aug 29, 2016.

While everyone is clamoring to make it into the city, I'm trying to find some soul that is making a ride out of it. I'm in the EA setup team for my camp (orphan endorphin 4lyfe!) and will already be in the city as of Friday, Aug 26, 2016.

I've looked into the BRC airport and I just cannot afford the $285 ticket so I'm doing my best to try to find another option. If you know of anyone who can help or other options please share!! I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks for reading and yes, I know this is silly but work calls plus I'll be back in the city on Wednesday.
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: Wait You're Going The Wrong Way...Yes I know

Postby Token » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:13 pm

Inform your boss that they are fired.

Sorry, nothing else seems reasonable under the circumstance.

C.f.M.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Postby C.f.M. » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:16 pm

Whaaaaaaat...I'm so sorry, what a frustration and pain.

I wonder if your best bet would be to borrow somebody's car?

mudpuppy000
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Postby mudpuppy000 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:22 pm

Bring back some pizza. :D

lazerfox

Postby lazerfox » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:28 pm

Token wrote:Inform your boss that they are fired.

Sorry, nothing else seems reasonable under the circumstance.

He is pretty awesome the rest of the year...I can live with this one misstep :D

CFM thank you...I'm sure it will work out...I'm just going to be one tired puppy on Wednesday.

mudpuppy000 wrote:Bring back some pizza. :D

If they let me bring it on the Burner Express ride back on Wednesday then it's on like Donkey Kong!!
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister

C.f.M.
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Postby C.f.M. » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:30 pm

Just discovered this, maybe it'll cheer you up :P

http://www.gilmoreguysshow.com/

lazerfox

Postby lazerfox » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:48 am

That's pretty hilarious...even without watching it. Thanks!

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:01 am

If you've already arranged vacation, and you're in the middle of that vacation, AND in a remote area like BRC, your boss is a pile of shit to expect you to do this.
At very least the boss ought to pay your flight in and out of BRC.

This is bullshit. That's what you call an awesome boss??
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

Token

Postby Token » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:48 am

Ok, so past the editorial on your boss, here are some realities of the experience.

Did this drive a couple times after doing big art builds weeks before gate opened.

Yes, you can drive the other way.

It is risky and you gotta be alert for asshats recklessly passing slow vehicles inbound.

Now, as you are also asking for a ride, that will be the hard part. Finding someone going back to Reno on Monday. Best bet is to network early with staffers or DPW folks (if you are made from the right stuff), see if anyone is going out to Reno. You may get lucky. Sometimes rare replacement parts or materials are needed just about that time.

Or you can pray for rain and gate closure.

illy dilly
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby illy dilly » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:53 am

A possible solution might be to catch a ride with the Ice Trucks moving trailers back to Reno.
I'm not sure if they are paid commercial drivers or burner volunteers. Also, you'd have to find out what the schedule is for trucks coming and going. I've only ever seen the truck arrive and do the trailer switch during the Noon to 3pm shift.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:26 am

So my point that I guess I never really got directly to: Are you really sure you can't tell the boss "look, sorry but that just doesn't work!l"? It sounds way out of line and unreasonable.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

Jackass

Postby Jackass » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:44 am

I'd tell the boss to kiss my ass and quit trying to cock-block my vacay. Work training sounds like you're going to listen to some motivational speaker drone for 2 hrs. at your local Double Tree Inn, an hour and a half lunch with some half-assed sandwiches and bland colleagues "brainstorming", then back to the droning for 2 more hours before they let you go home "early". They won't miss you, maybe you should reciprocate the sentiment. That's my solution...

P.S. Your boss is not awesome, he just needs you to believe that so that you will bend over backwards for him at his beckoning...
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

lazerfox

Postby lazerfox » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:03 pm

On the boss, work, vacay, subject....yes this is totally my choice, I'm a glutton for punishment as I just got promoted into this role and this training would only be beneficial to me, it is just shitty timing from a company that really should know better...I will be voicing my opinion on date selection (this is not the first time they have planned something large during burn week) to whomever I can that might have any influence at all...I hope it isn't a drone fest but I won't know until I'm there. SO future me will know better next time. I doubt there will be sandwiches but there is a high probability of free alcohol...so at least there's that...(read: tech-y millennial corporation with a lot of money to blow.)

I have no idea how to get in touch with the ice truck folks so I will start working that route.

A friend of mine is considering doing a pick up from the airport for his camp so he can at least get some company for the return trip so hoping that pans out...

Also, thanks y'all! It's been a while since I've been on here...it's almost like old times...with fancier tech

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:46 pm

lazerfox wrote:On the boss, work, vacay, subject....yes this is totally my choice, I'm a glutton for punishment as I just got promoted into this role and this training would only be beneficial to me, it is just shitty timing from a company that really should know better...I will be voicing my opinion on date selection (this is not the first time they have planned something large during burn week) to whomever I can that might have any influence at all...I hope it isn't a drone fest but I won't know until I'm there. SO future me will know better next time. I doubt there will be sandwiches but there is a high probability of free alcohol...so at least there's that...(read: tech-y millennial corporation with a lot of money to blow.)

I have no idea how to get in touch with the ice truck folks so I will start working that route.

A friend of mine is considering doing a pick up from the airport for his camp so he can at least get some company for the return trip so hoping that pans out...

Also, thanks y'all! It's been a while since I've been on here...it's almost like old times...with fancier tech

Ice is supplied by Crystal Ice in Reno (on 4th st)
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Token

Postby Token » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:37 pm

Then there is plan C.

Big cardboard sign that says:

"Reno Airport"

Sit your millennial-hipster-tech ass down at the exit lane whilst wearing a big-brim hat and wait.

Bring plenty water to drink and cool down.

lazerfox

Postby lazerfox » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:16 pm

I think that's more like Plan G...I might be a millennial techy but I'll be damned if I won't have this figured out before I set foot in Reno. Edit to add: I'm a lot of things...hipster ain't one of them :P

thank you lucky420 Love ya...can't wait to see ya!! AND give you a big old dusty hug!!!

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:28 pm

lazerfox wrote:I think that's more like Plan G...I might be a millennial techy but I'll be damned if I won't have this figured out before I set foot in Reno. Edit to add: I'm a lot of things...hipster ain't one of them :P

thank you lucky420 Love ya...can't wait to see ya!! AND give you a big old dusty hug!!!

Cha! Back at ya chica
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

A-RockLeFrench
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: TECTONIC

Postby A-RockLeFrench » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:46 pm

Get in touch with burner express and ask if you can get ride back to Reno on one of their return trips to pick up more passengers?

lazerfox

Postby lazerfox » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:56 pm

A-RockLeFrench wrote:Get in touch with burner express and ask if you can get ride back to Reno on one of their return trips to pick up more passengers?

Already did, they said no. :(

Token

Postby Token » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:23 pm

VioletMoodSwings
Burning Since: 2007

Postby VioletMoodSwings » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:34 pm

I'm in something of the same boat, though I don't need to get off playa until Weds. or Thurs. of the Burn. It blows my mind that the Burner Express doesn't offer rides OUT of BRC until Friday -- I mean, the bus is already gonna be there, why not put people on it? I watch this thread with interest. Bon chance to us both!

Shameless plug for my plight, whilst I'm at it:
viewtopic.php?f=469&t=78563

Jackass

Postby Jackass » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:46 pm

Token wrote:Then there is plan C.

Big cardboard sign that says:

"Reno Airport"

Sit your millennial-hipster-tech ass down at the exit lane whilst wearing a big-brim hat and wait.

Bring plenty water to drink and cool down.

Here's the plan...It's not your first rodeo.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Doctor VonBacon
Burning Since: 2013

Postby Doctor VonBacon » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:21 pm

lazerfox wrote:I've looked into the BRC airport and I just cannot afford the $285 ticket so I'm doing my best to try to find another option. If you know of anyone who can help or other options please share!! I'm open to suggestions.

You are newly promoted, and otherwise seem to like your boss and your job.

Scrape together or borrow the $285. Or tell your boss to go shit in his hat, and probably cost yourself a lot more in the long run.

This is the rainy day/emergency you have been saving for.
If you're entire burn does not have a $300 cushion, you should probably re-evaluate your plan.

But what the hell do I know.
I like eggs.

lazerfox

Postby lazerfox » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:51 pm

Thanks for all the ideas y'all. I was able to find a kind burner who is going back to Reno on that same day to pick up his daughter so unless that falls through for some reason (aka life happens) I'm glad to say I won't need that cardboard sign.

Don't forget to thank your AWESOME Rangers anytime you see them....preferably in bottle of alcohol they can consume after their shift....unless they prefer other beverages then give them that. The kindness of Rangers is the only reason I was able to find a ride.

:D

graidawg
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: CAMP Hooker

Postby graidawg » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:17 pm

go to the airport if your ride falls down. some pilot will be flying out that way or bite the bullet and fork out 285 bucks.

tech company with money to burn and new promotion says you should have cash (if not your boss is an asshole and paying you too little)
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.

lazerfox

Postby lazerfox » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:16 am

We are definitely not that type of tech company. We are trying to grow but there's no money to burn since we are so tiny. And yeah I am not getting paid much but the work environment makes it worth it.

But I will consider the airport in case I have no other choice. :)

Doctor VonBacon
Burning Since: 2013

Postby Doctor VonBacon » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:58 am

As a side note,

Get a receipt. This is most definitely business travel for business purposes. You should be able to deduct the cost from your taxes as a business expense.
I like eggs.

Return to “2016 Rideshares & Resource Sharing”