Porta potties at Regionals and other events

The place for official Burning Man regional group news and events.
robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Porta potties at Regionals and other events

Post by robbidobbs » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:18 pm

Porta potties are a reality at all outdoor events. We can make a serious effort to keep trash and wipes out of the units. Burningman has been successful at this, not perfect, but improving all the time because of conscientious people such as yourself spreading the word about Excremental Correctness.

If you or someone you know wants to decorate, sign or otherwise draw attention to the Porta potties at your regional event, please let me know, I'd love to help you out.

I have a book face group, so if you prefer use that.

Thank you so much for helping make your participants excretory experience a positive one each and every time!

RobbiDobbs
Chief Poopervisor of the Pottie Project
Shit Queen of Burningman
I'll be in my blanket fort until further notice.

Berberis

Re: Porta potties at Regionals and other events

Post by Berberis » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:48 pm

I've been doing porta potty enhancement at my home regional for the last 4 years, as well as a few times at some other nearby regionals and events.

We're fortunate that we haven't really had any problems with stuff that doesn't belong in the potties getting tossed in them (but we've had signs inspired by yours on the potties since our regional's first year in 2008). Since clogging isn't an issue, I've focused more on enhancing the potty experience.

I put strands of battery powered LEDs up in all the potties, air freshener, and small bottles of hand sanitizer (sanitizer doesn't come with our potty rentals). I've also been including reading material: a poem or short story on a single piece of paper, which goes in a page protector on the wall of the potty. Every morning I go through all the potties, turn off the lights, top off the hand sanitizer, pick up any MOOP, and swap the reading material for a new selection.

I've had some of my lights stolen, but have received "art" grants to replace them (nominally, the inclusion of the reading material is what makes it art related). I do think lights are incredibly important; they help to stave off the spiral of "hoverer makes a mess, so everybody else must now hover and make it worse and worse".

Anyway, not really sure where I'm going with this. I'll check out your FB group.

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Re: Porta potties at Regionals and other events

Post by robbidobbs » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:53 pm

Thanks Berberis! I deeply appreciate the extra attention you give the portos. I'm sure you get much appreciation from your regionals participants too.
Yes, definitely join my FB group, I'd love to hear more about what you do. Just put the name of your regional in the first line would be tremendously helpful. I live success stories!
Cheers!
R.
I'll be in my blanket fort until further notice.

Return to “Regional Network”