First Midburn and now Apogaea WTF

The place for official Burning Man regional group news and events.
Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

First Midburn and now Apogaea WTF

Post by Popeye » Sun May 17, 2015 6:25 pm

Apogaea (the Colorado regional) will NOT be held in Bailey, Colorado due to local opposition resulting in permit problems and their landlord cancelling.
Hopefully they can find a new venue.
http://apogaea.com/2015/05/17/important ... president/
http://apogaea.com/2015/05/17/permit-st ... r-apogaea/
nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...

Sham

Re: First Midburn and now Apogaea WTF

Post by Sham » Sun May 17, 2015 6:39 pm

It's very possible that locals need to learn more about what the regional burns are all about. It appears to me that people may be under some misconception and putting pressure on authorities to stop the events.

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Sun May 17, 2015 7:37 pm

Sham wrote:It's very possible that locals need to learn more about what the regional burns are all about. It appears to me that people may be under some misconception and putting pressure on authorities to stop the events.
It looks that way. I am not part of either Midburn or Apogaea, just interested in possibly going, but what has been published seems to show that locals view both as raves or "festivals".
Even here on Eplaya Burning Man is sometimes referred to as a Festival which puts it in the same category as Coachela or Gastonbury. Maybe we need a new term?
nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sun May 17, 2015 8:17 pm

A lady over the hill from our regional reported to the police that aliens had landed based on the noises coming over the hill. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Sun May 17, 2015 9:19 pm

People make fun of the BORG, but they have been navigating the charm offensive with the locals with ups and downs, ultimately successfully for years. Regionals need to do the same. Ultimately regionals should buy land.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Mon May 18, 2015 5:48 am

LET MY PEOPLE GLOW !
Frida Be You & Me

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Mon May 18, 2015 10:27 am

Ulisse wrote:
Sham wrote:It's very possible that locals need to learn more about what the regional burns are all about. It appears to me that people may be under some misconception and putting pressure on authorities to stop the events.
It looks that way. I am not part of either Midburn or Apogaea, just interested in possibly going, but what has been published seems to show that locals view both as raves or "festivals".
Even here on Eplaya Burning Man is sometimes referred to as a Festival which puts it in the same category as Coachela or Gastonbury. Maybe we need a new term?
Where do "outsiders" get these crazy outlandish ideas from anyway?
https://www.fest300.com/
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Mon May 18, 2015 4:11 pm

Ulisse wrote:
When BURNINGMAN calls itself a "festival" complete with "concerts", whatchugonnado, Spanky?

http://blog.burningman.com/wp-content/u ... Lineup.pdf

(Yes, see the date. Hehehe)
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Mon May 18, 2015 4:34 pm

^oy, gevalt ^
Frida Be You & Me

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Mon May 18, 2015 4:55 pm

You're apparently never too old to fall for an old April Fool's Day prank, GreyCoyote (note the date on the release)... :lol:

Ulisse, Burning Man absolutely is a festival. An arts & culture festival, but festival nonetheless. Making up some new term that you want to use wouldn't change the definition of the word festival, or that the Burning Man is one.

For the most part, people have no idea what kind of crazy logistics and permitting issues that event producers have to go through in order to stage their events. It's not only a monumental amount of governmental red tape, but also lots and lots and lots of community outreach... long before it gets to the nuts and bolts stuff like porta-potties and whatnot.

The MidBurn situation is really crazy and unfortunate, but also not completely unexpected. Israel is a fairly unstable part of the world, and officials there have very real concerns about any number of terrorist organizations. I can't imagine the Islamic State knuckleheads in the region make the situation any less complicated. Cheers and kudos to the team working on midburn, as it sounds like they've made some real progress in navigating those very muddy waters, and they're on their way towards an official approval of city plans tomorrow. I wish them good luck and hope they have a successful event.

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Mon May 18, 2015 4:58 pm

Trilo: read the fine print in my post. :mrgreen:

The humor was the entire point!
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Mon May 18, 2015 5:14 pm

Ha - I skipped the micro-print

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed May 20, 2015 9:58 am

Ulisse, Burning Man absolutely is a festival.

i beg to differ.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frida Be You & Me

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Wed May 20, 2015 10:32 am

No, Burning Man Project is the non-profit organization (or umbrella corporation, if you will) that encompasses all the things so to speak. One of those components is Black Rock City, LLC which produces the Burning Man event... an annual arts and culture festival.

It doesn't make a difference what term you personally would like to invent or try and slap on the event as a descriptor. It's still a festival, as defined by things like definitions in the dictionary and the kinds of permits and classifications that Burning Man obtains. Festival is not a dirty word, there are many many great festivals out there, they come in many different shapes and sizes. If you or someone you know tends to fixate on the bottom feeders or what you feel are poor examples of festivals, the challenge is to learn more about the many different kinds of festival.

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Wed May 20, 2015 12:08 pm

According to the dictionary and definitions and the founder and stuff like that, inspite of what the brochure wants you to believe, the Burn is a commodity.

(Mind you, not to me, but hell, I mistakenly don't consider it a festival either. What a fool I am.)
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

Bless
Burning Since: 2012

Post by Bless » Wed May 20, 2015 9:35 pm

festival
[fes-tuh-vuh l]
noun
1. a day or time of religious or other celebration, marked by feasting, ceremonies, or other observances:
the festival of Christmas; a Roman festival.
2. a periodic commemoration, anniversary, or celebration:
an annual strawberry festival.
3. a period or program of festive activities, cultural events, or entertainment:
a music festival.
4. gaiety; revelry; merrymaking.
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

Ano
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Post by Ano » Thu May 21, 2015 11:37 am

The Apogaea situation, to me, highlights how important fostering the local community is. If you make enough of the locals mad, they have more than enough power to get you shut down. This is why we have to be absolutely careful and supportive of all of the small towns on 447, and a great example as to what could happen to any regional if they make their permanent neighbors upset. The importance of packing out our trash and being kind to the locals cannot be stressed enough!

The locals are also complaining about other events in the area, though, so it wasn't just Apogaea that upset them. It looks like it was a culmination of tons of small festivals over the years upsetting the locals, from what I can tell.

Return to “Regional Network”