Midburn has had another set-back

The place for official Burning Man regional group news and events.
Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Midburn has had another set-back

Post by Ratty » Thu May 28, 2015 8:14 am

Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Midburn has had another set-back

Post by trilobyte » Thu May 28, 2015 8:30 am

I saw that story last night on some other site that picked it up from the same newswire, and it seems a little crazy. I don't think there's any way in a million years they would have been given a permit to build their temple on, near, or upwind from anything of historical significance.... it's been well publicized that they went through a lot of additional last minute red tape, and at any moment the judge could have raised that flag. So far all the places "reporting" it are basically parroting a single news source, a short Associated Press article. I'm interested to hear more about the story.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Thu May 28, 2015 8:34 am

Yeah. It is an important pile of dirt that they didn't care to protect until halfway through the burn? It sounds a bit like the opposition is manufacturing an excuse to forbid the event next year. If any of it is true.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Fri May 29, 2015 8:14 am

I love the last line in the story (especially if it turns out to be true):

"I'm sorry if there was a misunderstanding," Marcus said. "We are going to check what happened and make sure that this doesn't happen again."

Seems to me that once you destroy an historical artifact, it would be impossible to destroy it again.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Fri May 29, 2015 11:22 am

This is the line that stood out to me:
He also provided an official antiquities authority map that showed no archaeological sites at the location of the festival
"He" being the Midburn organizer.

So the official antiquities authority shows no archaeological sites on their official map of the area, and only become concerned half-way through the festival about an "ancient" site that they somehow knew about, but never put down on the official map of sites. Hmmmm. Sounds like political cover to make Midburn look bad so they can ban them.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Fri May 29, 2015 11:35 am

much ado about nothing.

^that's me, kibbitzing.^
Frida Be You & Me

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Fri May 29, 2015 1:38 pm

The midburn organizers posted a statement on this earlier in the week, indicating they had seen the story but had not been a part of it. They also reiterated that they not only had checked against an antiquities map and found there were no sites within the event's space, and had worked in full transparency of all the relevant authorities. Nevertheless, they have every interest in civic responsibility, and are planning to examine the claims and keep their community posted.

It sounds like a bs claim to me, I just can't see them ever having gotten a permit for a site with historical significance. But I'm glad they're taking the claim seriously and investigating it.

Return to “Regional Network”