Rain impacts Burning Flipside-Texas

The place for official Burning Man regional group news and events.
Molotov
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: ESD Camp "The 'Burbs" 3:07 and D

Rain impacts Burning Flipside-Texas

Post by Molotov » Thu May 28, 2015 10:19 am

I wasn't at this regional held east of Austin, but here is a section from the daily situation report from the Texas Division of Emergency Management:
Milam County: Apache Pass conducted a Mass Gathering activity over the weekend called
Burning Flipside Event. Initially it was a report of ten persons stranded along the San Gabriel
River. On Monday evening around 7 p.m., two Game Wardens and a deputy went to aid in an
evacuation, but the individuals chose not to leave. Around 1:58 a.m. this morning Game
Wardens and Thorndale Volunteer Fire Department assisted in evacuating approximately 40
persons. Minor to moderate flooding is expected on the Little River at Rockdale and Cameron.
A Disaster Declaration has been submitted.

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Re: Rain impacts Burning Flipside-Texas

Post by gaminwench » Fri May 29, 2015 1:53 pm

I was at Flipside, and made Exodus just as the storm was starting to hit on Monday.
There was some personal property damaged or lost in the flood and there are still vehicles/domes/Tesla coils on the land.
The Flipizens were well prepared for emergency situations and all of the 140 stranded humans were safe, taken care of and evacuated on Tuesday.
Their community is quite tight knit and will continue to remove structures and then assist the Land owner with pasture/river/road repair.

Those Texas burners are doing it RIGHT!
Despite the weather, we all enjoyed a rockin', hoppin' 4 days in the mud;
Out of 3,000ish folks, I'd guess there was 90% participation, with very few 'tourists'.
And no cameras :shock: (other than the couple of guys who were enlisted to document Art and Theme camps).
Really nice to not see a camera all weekend.

YAY! FLIPSIDE!!!
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Re: Rain impacts Burning Flipside-Texas

Post by burner von braun » Fri May 29, 2015 3:06 pm

..vehicles, domes, and Tesla coils strewn about..

Haha! I bet they will have that place back in shipshape in no time!

*respectfully tips playa hat to Flipside burners*

Return to “Regional Network”