Freezer Burn - Alberta Regional Burn June 17-20

The place for official Burning Man regional group news and events.
remi

Freezer Burn - Alberta Regional Burn June 17-20

Postby remi » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:33 am

Hi everyone! Do you want to check out one of the best regionals in the world? Do you want to go on a cheap vacation? If you answered yes to both of those, the Freezer Burn is for you. Nestled on an Elk Farm in Alberta, Canada is my favorite festival, Freezer Burn. This year, the festival runs from June 17th-20th. The theme this year is Myths & Legends. Take advantage of the shitty Canadian dollar!

Tickets will go on sale online on April 10th, and they are 150$ CAD (so that's like 30c USD.) 25$ out of every ticket goes to art grants, so that's pretty darn cool. Check out the website for more info at freezerburn.org

If you want to see what Freezer Burn is all about, check out this video "This is Freezer Burn". It was featured in the Jack Rabbit newsletter a few issues ago.

[media]

If you have any other questions, or if you'd like to contribute by volunteering, please don't hesitate to contact me at freezerburnvolunteers@gmail.com (I am the volunteer coordinator for this event.)

Hope to see you there!
Last edited by remi on Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?

remi

Re: Freezer Burn - Alberta Regional Burn June 17-20

Postby remi » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:34 am

Here is a link to my post about last years event, including theme and some of my favorite events:

https://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?f=470&t=73394

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:44 am

That is a really great video, it looks like an amazing location and spectacular event.

remi

Postby remi » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:04 pm

The video was made by Dr.Helix' and his wife. Two of the best people on this planet. If you haven't had a chance, check out their video on "Penny the Goose," (which can be found here https://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?f=69&p=1103140#p1103140 ) which is an art installation they created.

Dr Helix
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby Dr Helix » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:45 pm

I can attest to how great this festival is, having traveled from California three times to attend it. It is a santioned regional burn and they do it right. And it's on grass! Plus the sun never really goes down. They can't have a burn till after 11pm because the SUN does not set till 10pm. Plenty of camps, stages and a very inclusive group of people. Can't recommend it enough. See you there Remi!
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"

tahiti_treat
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: NoTown

Postby tahiti_treat » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:56 pm

My first time at Freezer Burn this year. Looking forward to it!

remi

Postby remi » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:55 am

I really hope you had a great time!

That was the best weekend of my life at Freezer Burn 2016: Myths & Legends.

We had 4 burns this year. (Man, Temple, a bar called the saloon was burnt down with a massive explosion, and a big wooden myth sign had a sunrise burn)

I brought out my first interactive art piece called the bologna pony. See pic below. You can't see the sign in this pic, but there is an educational aspect to this piece. We included safe sex and consent education information on the sign, including rules and some sweet graphics.

With 800 participants, we had 285 volunteers. These volunteers don't get direct sale tickets (even though we sold out in a minute.) All they get is a cheap piece of swag and we had so many people wanting to help all of our teams were full a week or two prior to the event, so we just dumped all the left over in fire safety - perimeter. Having such a great volunteer culture helps makes this event runs smoothly, and ensures everyone has a fun, safe burn. I couldn't be more proud to be the volunteer coordinator for this event. These awesome burners make me look good.

Highlights: Sunday Funk Jam, the burns, seeing an over abundance of volunteers participating, the "watch our sexy ginger lumberjack chop wood" event, the church or respects sunday sangria service, the Metal & Meat show where we eat a pig while listening to a live metal band, perfect weather, my first art piece (a big ride on penis,) helping the Space Gnomes with their stage, the "variety show" talent show, the zombaby race (dress up babies as zombees and race them,) homemade ramen shack with on Fraya homemade noodles, dildo jousting... I can keep going.

If you're looking for an epic regional to check out, come to Freezer Burn... it's about 350 days away.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:22 am

Remi, Thank you for a chuckle. The bologna pony looks great. does he have a first name? (That's a jingle I can torture people with. there is no way to get it out of your head.)
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

tahiti_treat
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: NoTown

Postby tahiti_treat » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:57 am

I had a great time! The Bologna Pony looked awesome but the Magic 8 Ball told me not to ride it... just as well as I had some back problems develop later in the weekend that I'm sure wouldn't have been helped by a ride. I loved the Church of Respect's Sunday event as well. Praise Cheeses!

I'm hoping our whole camp can come out next year. I had a little unregistered tiki lounge in open camping on Saturday but I'd love to do more, as well as volunteer. My husband was a Ranger this year for the first time and he loved it.

remi

Postby remi » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:59 pm

Freezer Burn tickets back on sale. This years event is June 22-26. If you want to have some fun north of the border with some crazy alberta burners, buy a ticket (than sign up for a volunteer shift!)

http://www.freezerburn.org/tickets/

Return to “Regional Network”