1,200 bikes donated to Burning Man ...

Share and discuss articles and blog posts about Burning Man and the culture of Burning Man.
phil

1,200 bikes donated to Burning Man ...

Post by phil » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:40 pm

MikeVDS
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:51 pm

That is really awesome. Great gift from those who donated and those putting in the work to get them prepared. Thanks to all. These will likely brighten a lot of people's days.

emotion_sickness
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Stag Camp in 2007

Post by emotion_sickness » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:08 pm

anyone know how one goes about using one of those bikes? is ther a reservation process or a camp where you can check them out at? that would solve one major problem of mine...how am i getting 2 bikes down there for me and my rideshare-er?
Why?

MikeVDS
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:18 pm

that would solve one major problem of mine...how am i getting 2 bikes down there for me and my rideshare-er?
No one gets one. If you're on foot and need to get somewhere and you see one, use it, but after you park, don't expect it to be around when you want it again. They are basically bicycles of fortune. Some cities have similar bikes that are for anyone to use. If you need a bike get a roof rack or a trailer receiver and a bike rack that attaches to it. There are enough of these for about 3% of the population, so if you need a bike, you better bring one.

actiongrl

Post by actiongrl » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:46 pm

they're used like public transportation. there are dropoff points at which you leave the bikes when you are done with them. you don't take them home to camp (VERY IMPORTANT) and claim them for yourself. You ride them to your destination, and drop them in the public area, and grab another one when you need to go somewhere else. If you need to make a quick stop that's one thing, but you basically only keep the bike as long as you are actively using it and when not in use you put it back into circulation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_bicycle_program

K-mom

Post by K-mom » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:56 pm

I was in Germany recently and they had this really great program of rental bikes. You register with the company using your credit card, and these bikes are locked all over the city electronically. You phone a number on your mobile and give your account number and the location of the bike you are standing in front of, and they unlock the bike, you ride it wherever and call back reporting where you dropped it.

I'm not sure if they charge by time or by distance but either way, my friend there was saying she was using it all the time after clubbing, cheaper than a taxi and its a good way to exercise some of the alcohol out of your system before bed.

Wouldn't work in BRC o'course, the whole no commerce thing ... not that its even necessary!
You call it malt liquor, I call it breakfast.

Smudge

Post by Smudge » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:32 pm

Wow! I thought it was some sort of joke.

I like how they're all going to be black and be labled YELLOW in red paint...

I've been hoofing it the last few years not having room to stash a bike in my econobox for the 2,500 mile oneway. Now I'll finally get to ride!
Wow I'm happy.

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:42 pm

Yay.. Huffy sponsored public transportation.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:57 pm

Yes, but anyone with a bike remotely resembling one of them had better lock it up tight, two minutes and a campmate had theirs taken from center camp.

Valkyrie

Post by Valkyrie » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:57 pm

Yeah. Anyone with a green bike with YELLOW BIKE stenciled on it.

Actually, I worked for a bit in a place that used this loose system of cheap bicycle sharing and there was occasionally a problem with an intern here and there picking up someone's personal bike (which most folks didn't bother to lock).

Of course, you're supposed to lock your bike, right? Does this really change anything? I'm thinking, if anything, fewer bikes will be stolen as fewer "weekenders" who arrive unprepared will try to steal yours when they find these guys laying around.
It's hard to have a normal conversation with someone with 6' acrylic rods strapped to your back.

Return to “Articles”