Guilty plea on pre-Burn of the Man

Share and discuss articles and blog posts about Burning Man and the culture of Burning Man.
phil

Guilty plea on pre-Burn of the Man

Post by phil » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:06 pm

A rumor which I believe to be true but cannot confirm: A guilty plea, a finding of felony arson, and a sentence of 12 - 48 months.

hsdavis

Post by hsdavis » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:43 pm

He should spend his 12 to 48 months picking up peanut shells and feathers along the trash fence. I really do think that poor bastard has some serious mental issues based on some of the other things he's done. Whatever the case, I hope he gets help and can get his head screwed on straight.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:22 pm

Yeah. While I have to say the early burn and all the commotion it caused made for an even more interesting event (even hardened/jaded veterans had a sense of the unexpected), what he did was seriously wrong and he's lucky nobody was seriously hurt. It's also worth pointing out that he got pinched for attempted arson (trying to burn a church down, if I remember correctly) in SF not too long after the burn. Showed his true colors - I hope he gets help.

Trilo

phil

Post by phil » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:33 pm

It's also worth pointing out that he got pinched for attempted arson (trying to burn a church down, if I remember correctly) in SF not too long after the burn.
Well, that was the big story the day he was arrested, but it sort of fizzled out - he was carrying fireworks:

http://www.examiner.com/a-1116797~Publi ... lown_.html

and that's what he pleaded no contest to:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... BVLDV6.DTL

I'm not sure after things calmed down that anyone really thought the initial claims were anything other than hysteria, given his playa escapade.

Opinions vary, and I won't argue for or against any opinion on his intentions as to the church - I have no clue.

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:13 pm

Arson first degree? 12 months - seems weak. He will get to go to the prison in Lovelock, and can watch the burners on the interstate drive right by!!!!!!

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:45 am

Yeah... carrying fireworks to a church in SF at some weird time of day/year... his ass was innocent and not planning ANYTHING malicious...

He's a fucking dick. I don't care what his reasoning was, it was a dumbass move.

That said, I hope the BMOrg learns from this. No, not learns as in beefs up security and has their own Department Of Burnland Insecurity, but learns that the people attending the event are down for some change-ups. Fucking freak people out with a few mid-week fireworks, do something new and different (other than minimizing the man-burn in favor of fireworks)... go nuts, have fun.

Trilo

TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:06 am

From what I understand, he was trying to burn down Grace Cathedral..or at least the door...with fireworks. Last time I drove by, Grace Cathedral was still made of stone. Not sure if he was serious, but he definitely needed more attention, than what he got at Burning Man. His sentence, should be one day at a DPW event.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

gyre

Post by gyre » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:07 am

The man is guarded.
I think someone burned it or tried to before.
I think Ranger Moonbeam was looking the wrong direction.

So!

How many rangers does it take to protect the man?

TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:37 am

who knows? it's never been tried

their too busy with their radios and uniforms
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

Return to “Articles”