Decommodification principle erosion & Rolling Stone magazine

Share and discuss articles and blog posts about Burning Man and the culture of Burning Man.
proud2beAplaya
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: N/A

Decommodification principle erosion & Rolling Stone magazine

Postby proud2beAplaya » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:44 pm

Bewildered as to how this isn't an afront to the Decommodification principle of Burning Man? Why would a well known camp like Robot Heart not be ambassador of the values we've worked so hard to create? We can't control what the press does with Burning Man, but we can certainly give a better representation when asked. It's very sad to see it slipping away. Wording like "rave, can't-stop-won't-stop-party, pyschadelci heights, epic party on the moon" and nothing about the actual principles of burning man - the art, community, radical self expression, gifting etc. attracts the wrong audience. Was this PR approved within the confines of the Burning Man photos/videos privacy agreements?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by proud2beAplaya on Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Re: Decommodification principle - when does it start to erod

Postby Eric » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:46 pm

Moving this to Politics & Philosophy, since that's a better fit for this type of question.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

CornMan

Re: Decommodification principle erosion & Rolling Stone maga

Postby CornMan » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:24 pm

"There are as many ways to do Burning Man - which lands an a huge, inhospitable zone of Nevada desert each summer - as there are participants. But for the can't-stop-won't-stop party people - Blah, blah, blah." The paragraph indirectly alludes that the rave festie element is but a part of Burning Man - perhaps the element of the festival that is the top reason why the majority of people now go to Burning Man. There seems to be an awful lot of people here who are happy that Burning Man is still something more than just another mainstream rave festie, but the attitude seems to be that in no way should anybody try to do anything to prevent it from becoming just another rave party other than say that it's the little nooks and crannies that makes it great - a message ignored by the multitudes who make a beeline past the camps on their way to the main attractions.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever

bluesbob
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: AV

Postby bluesbob » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:04 pm

We have principles?
"aw shucks.." - Eric

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:56 pm

It's interesting that you think it's in the form of a PR piece, when it appears to me to be an article in a magazine. Burning Man can (and does) work with journalists and people within the media to help them understand the event, but ultimately it's those authors (and not Burning Man) that tells their stories.

It's just another article about the event that doesn't quite get it, or at least chooses to talk up the wrong stuff. It's not the first. Hell, it's not even the first this year. If you've got actual questions for the media team, you're welcome to reach out to them directly at press@burningman.com.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:07 pm

bluesbob wrote:We have principles?

The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Postby BBadger » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:57 pm

I think "rave, can't-stop-won't-stop-party, psychedelic heights, epic party on the moon" is actually a pretty accurate description of the experience for some people. There are other accurate, group-specific descriptions as well: "dirty hippies mooching food from camps, and hogging benches in center camp during the night", "a giant bar-hopping city", "a giant temporary art festival for art lovers", "a pagan-esque ritual burning by heathen pinkos", "a tit-watching festival for perverts", "one big fucking desert camp-out" -- or all of the above.

Quite frankly, if people aren't leaving a mess and causing problems they can do whatever the fuck they want. That includes interpreting the burn the way they want to.

Anyway, it's silly to believe that you can't even talk about Burning Man without it becoming commodification.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby tatonka » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:11 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
bluesbob wrote:We have principles?

:)
" Make me strong , not to be superiour to my brothers , to fight my greatest enemy ....... myself . " Chief Dan George .

goushanyue
Burning Since: 1989
Camp Name: dfgsd

Postby goushanyue » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:05 pm

It's silly to believe that you can't even talk about Burning Man without it becoming commodification.
Wearing panties and teddies underwear lingerie, a woman can choose to be an innocent explorer or an expert in seduction; the choice of how you use its versatility is up to you.

BurnerBunny
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Iffy Pop

Postby BurnerBunny » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:13 pm

on my first burn I danced at some of the big sound camps for a few hours, but the vast majority of my time was spent exploring such a huge and amazing new world of art filled with people who were not acting like the typical assholes you see at a big music festival. This was 2007 iirc, green man, and I'll never forget those two twisted semi's that I was able to climb into. I met some amazing people, saw so many amazing pieces of art, and also got to bartend at my camp.

I hope too many people don't read this article and think bm is a music festival with a bit of art tacked on. Whenever I'm asked about it I focus on the really cool stuff I saw and experienced first hand, and maybe I'll mention dancing to music if they ask about it.

DrewDubious
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Snuggery bunnies?

Postby DrewDubious » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:58 am

YEAH FUCK DEM RAVERS! :roll:

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:25 am

STFU.

that is all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frida Be You & Me

Return to “Articles”