Vandal Banned By Court From Federal Lands

Share and discuss articles and blog posts about Burning Man and the culture of Burning Man.
some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Vandal Banned By Court From Federal Lands

Postby some seeing eye » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:34 am

Interesting sentence. I wonder if ticketing is even set up for dealing with this. The gate isn't. And if anyone becomes aware of violations of the sentence, sure the court would like to be notified.

(Graffiti vandal in US National Parks banned by court for 2 years from federal public lands)

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... estigation

(I thought youthful indiscretion ended at age 18)
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Sham

Re: Vandal Banned By Court From Federal Lands

Postby Sham » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:44 am

I don't think there is much that greeters or ticket takers would or could do about this. I know they won't be trying to identify the offenders in vehicles. Further, in the dried lake bed of Black Rock City, there is not much natural beauty that could be defaced with spray paint.
If someone from the BLM wants keep an eye out for these graffitiers , that's up to them. 8)

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Postby BBadger » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:46 pm

That asshole should have been "graffiti'ed" up in the form of a tattoo on her forehead detailing her idiocy and persona non grata status at these parks. She could then pay to have it removed at the end of her term.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

some seeing eye

Postby some seeing eye » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:07 pm

Sentence: ban from federal lands, probation, community service.

For vandalism:
Rocky Mountain National Park, September 12, 2014
Colorado National Monument, September 13, 2014
Canyonlands National Park, September 15, 2014
Zion National Park, September 17, 2014
Death Valley National Park, September 23, 2014
Yosemite National Park, October 2, 2014
Crater Lake National Park, October 7, 2014

Source: https://www.nps.gov/orgs/1563/nocket-se ... dalism.htm

Personally I do not support revenge culture sentencing in the courts, I believe in reform sentencing. For all. I don't believe in social media crucifixion or the prison industrial complex. But I have observed painting on stone walls in my own parks which cannot be removed easily. Sand blasting? That in itself would change the color of the rocks. Friends who grew up in New Mexico relate native petroglyphs used as gun targets. That is sickening. And this painter is too.

(They should also be sentenced to painting classes!)

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:52 am

I think graffiti vandals are absolute assholes who should be jailed, fined, tarred and feathered.
Alternatively, tattooing them with Donnie & Marie, My Little Pony and TeleTubby tattoos would serve them exactly right too.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:58 am

Even Donnie and Marie don't deserve to be lumped in with defacers.

When we were in San Diego, graffiti on the boulders along the interstate was covered up with a spray stucco which was made to match. While not a good solution in many national parks, it is one tool in the toolbox to deal with well, tools.

Big problem in Utah is people carving into the soft sandstone. That shit has got to stop.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:56 am

I'm giving this a nudge over to the Philosophical Center, since it's a discussion about politics/philosophy directly pertaining to the event.

While I doubt there would be a list of names or wanted posters at the gates, I would imagine that if stopped by BLM or law enforcement that would come up when they check an ID in the system.

forty_eight
Burning Since: 2013

Postby forty_eight » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:21 pm

Was going to say that no burner would go around defacing stuff like that ... then, I remembered the burner(s) going around defacing art at burning man, ugh.

some seeing eye

Postby some seeing eye » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:50 pm

Hi Anti M I knew a recording engineer who worked with the Osmonds (and Sinatra) and he thought they were nice. He could choose his clients. Of course the Osmonds seem quaint today compared to Die Antwoord. For banned from public lands, probably their in person and social media friends are in a better place to warn them of violating their sentance.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:14 pm

Story time:

When I was 14, or so, the girl next door, about my age, was nuts over Donny and David Cassidy. Her bedroom was plastered with pictures of them cur from magazines, and those crappy mail order posters. Even the ceiling. One day, she asked me to go to the Osmond's ranch with her, they were really nice and would give us lemonade and cookies. Uh, sure. Her mother drove us to North Ogden, where it was all farms back then, and dropped us off. She went up to the door and rang the bell, I hung back, terrified. No one was home, I think they'd moved to Provo by then. But she found a burn pile of trash, and indeed, there were burned trinkets, letters, and photos fans had sent to the boys. She climbed a fence and went through some boxes by a shed; I was appalled. She came back with a pair of tighty whities which she insisted had belonged to Donny, because she had memorized his measurements in Teen Beat or Tiger Beat or some such crap.

We hung out on the country road until her mom came back. When she got home, she put the underwear on over her jeans, and paraded around for her mom's friends. She was soooo proud.

Be damned if I can remember her name, I always thought of her as Crazy Pants after that.

Lucky no psychos picked us up and murdered us.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

forty_eight
Burning Since: 2013

Postby forty_eight » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:23 pm

Come on, people!

Return to “Articles”