Pershing Sheriff Issues Press Release On LEO in 2016 and Beyond

Share and discuss articles and blog posts about Burning Man and the culture of Burning Man.
some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Pershing Sheriff Issues Press Release On LEO in 2016 and Beyond

Postby some seeing eye » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:25 am

Press hashes press release

""
Burning Man will have almost as many law enforcement on the playa this year as last year, but for Pershing County Sheriff Jerry Allen, the number of deputies is not enough.

With only a few days before Burning Man officially begins, Allen is concerned about understaffing at the event that draws 70,000 participants to the remote Black Rock Desert in northwest Nevada.

"Criminal activity doesn’t stop just because you’re in the middle of the desert," Allen said.

Allen plans to have more than 20 deputies on the playa at any one time this year, comparable to last year. Nearly 70 part- and full-time officers staffed the event round the clock last year. There will be fewer hires this year because labor and other costs are higher, Allen said.

Only five of the staff will be Pershing deputies; the rest will be hired from law enforcement agencies from around the state. The sheriff's office receives $185,000 of the total $240,000 county stipend from the Burning Man organization for expenses.

Deputies handle person-on-person crimes and minor drug possession charges during the event. U.S. Bureau of Land Management agents handle more significant drug crimes at the event, as well as traffic and environment-related violations, according to past BLM reports.

The BLM and sheriff's office will conduct joint operations, as was done last year, according to Allen.

"We’ll be looking for anything we’d look at in any other city," said Allen.

The BLM, which has permitted the event since the early 1990s, made no arrests last year. It did deliver several hundred citations, most traffic- or drug-related.

The sheriff's office, on the other hand, made more than 40 arrests at Burning Man last year, most of them drug-related. Allen expects that this year will be no different. Other arrests were on charges of kidnapping, assault with a deadly weapon and failure to register as a sex offender.

Still, if Allen had his way, he would have more than 100 officers at the event, he said, to ensure preparedness for a mass casualty event and to ensure that enough officers would be on staff to conduct investigations into all of the reported incidents.

Burning Man spokesman Jim Graham said event organizers have been working with the sheriff's office throughout the year to put to rest any staffing concerns. Graham said that the organization believes that between the deputies, dozens of Bureau of Land Management agents and 700 event volunteers, the event will be safe and secure.

RENO GAZETTE JOURNAL
12 drop-off sites for your Burning Man leftovers

Allen suggested that Burning Man could be a target of terrorism.

"What better event to have a worldwide impact in Northern Nevada than Burning Man, especially with the ‘loose morals’ that some Burners live by," Allen wrote in an email to the Reno Gazette-Journal, alluding to the nudity and alcohol and drug use at the event. "Just because it hasn’t happened, doesn’t mean it is not possible. Remember, there was never a bomb at the Boston Marathon until there was. Nobody ever flew into a skyscraper until 9/11.

"If an event of that magnitude happened at this event, the soonest we could get resources to assist us in quelling the issue would be two hours. A lot can happen in that amount of time."

Burning Man organizers have previously stated that they have a detailed mass casualty incident response plan, one that annually requires input from the organization and nearly all of the agencies that oversee emergency response at the event. The sheriff's office, BLM, medical provider and other county and state agencies attend annual meetings to review the plan each year, according to Burning Man organizers.

RENO GAZETTE JOURNAL
Burning Man turns 30: The untold lives of Nevada's Burner royalty

The sheriff's office is also making some improvements on its own operations. A Burner tried to escape the on-site jail last year by jumping out of the trailer window. He was transported to a hospital by helicopter for treatment of serious cuts. Allen said the jail this year will have no windows as a result.

Additionally, the sheriff's office is working on communications internally and with other agencies. Last year, a woman at Burning Man nearly died after a special reserve deputy injected her with a sedative as she resisted arrest, according to reports. The woman, who had been drinking, went into respiratory failure and had to be revived. As a result, Allen said, the sheriff's office realized that contracts needed to better specify the responsibilities of his staff at the event.

As for communication between the playa and the Pershing County Sheriff's Office in Lovelock, the county seat, Allen hopes that the Internet access will be more consistent this year.

BLM officials have not responded about any operational changes for the agency this year.

The BLM, which was criticized for overzealous tactics at last year's Burn, said that it would discontinue the inspection of incoming postal packages at the event but it has not declared whether it will continue K-9 units and traffic stops at the event entry.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

FlyingMonkey

Re: Pershing Sheriff Issues Press Release On LEO in 2016 and Beyond

Postby FlyingMonkey » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:36 am

My biggest mass causality fear is having a fire break out among the tents & RVs. That could go bad very quickly with a strong wind. Or a prolonged wind event that sends everyone's structures & equipment flying. Oh, and lets not forget the frequent Sharknado's that whip up out of nowhere on the Playa. :shock: I have considered the close proximity of the railroad tracks & a possible chemical spill but I have never seen the tracks used.

"What better event to have a worldwide impact in Northern Nevada than Burning Man, especially with the ‘loose morals’ (opposed to puritanical, stick up the ass, I will impose my beliefs on everyone morals) that some Burners live by," Allen wrote in an email to the Reno Gazette-Journal, alluding to the nudity and alcohol and drug use at the event. "Just because it hasn’t happened, doesn’t mean it is not possible. Remember, there was never a bomb at the Boston Marathon until there was. Nobody ever flew into a skyscraper until 9/11."
---Yeah, nothing happens until it happens. How profound. This guy is a genius.

I fail to find the connection between "loose morals" & terrorism except that they are contrary to many Islamic principals. But really, I think a big college football game is a more realistic target considering the limited escape routes & potentially more than 70,000 people attending. People can scatter like roaches on the Playa & are a harder "soft target".

Seems to me The Sheriff is fishing for reasons to bolster his budget.

I never heard about the kidnapping or assault with a deadly weapon arrests. I guess I lived in a good neighborhood :-)
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Doctor VonBacon
Burning Since: 2013

Postby Doctor VonBacon » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:31 am

Terrorism at BM? Possibly, but there are much easier targets with more live media coverage. (Remember,one of the purposes of terrorism is to get as much media coverage as possible. This is why the Las Vegas Strip, the Superbowl, or Times Square is a much more attractive target for those people who feel their god is cooler than my god.

From the sheriff's point of view, is 70 people (divided among 2 or three shifts a day) enough? Probably not.

Terrorism grants are the easiest way to get an influx of cash into local government, which, IMHO, is why he is playing that card.

As it was previously mentioned, I believe the greatest danger to the event and its participants is that of a wind whipped fire. In a distant second place is an outbreak of norovirus or the like. The org is not set up for any sort of large-scale ("mass casualty") event. And the chances of getting a grant to prevent fire or flu are less than slim.

But what the fuck do I know, I only do municipal disaster preparation and management for a living.
I like eggs.

Canoe

Postby Canoe » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:49 am

Quite the guy:
Pershing County, NV — The Pershing County Sheriff in conjunction with other Lovelock, NV officials has published a 412 page report warning that almost 97% of Burning Man “degenerates” will contract herpes at this year’s festival. The report, authored by 5 of the county’s 7 citizens, was highly critical of the week-long art festival and cited former Nevada County Supervisor Todd Juvinall as their primary source.

“We are grateful for Todd’s extensive research into the habits of these ‘burners’ as they’re called,” commented Pershing County Sheriff Jerry Allen using his finger to “air quote” the word burners. “We couldn’t have done it without his tireless investigation. There is so much filth and disease going on at this event it’s no surprise that it’s become a major health hazard. As much as we don’t like these people, we want to make sure that we enforce some basic health standards for their own damn good.”
https://www.ncscooper.com/pershing-county-officials-97-chance-of-contracting-herpes-at-burning-man/

Apparently they're unfamiliar with Yellow Bikes: Yellow Bikes are free, community bikes for all citizens of Black Rock City to enjoy. The rules are simple: Don’t steal (or redecorate) them; Ride them, and then leave them for the next person to use; Wear pants while riding them.
So you'll love the quoted 'source': a tongue-in-cheek (wonder what they'll make of that wording) message of disinformation humorously promoting no bare butts on Yellow Bikes.
"My favorite people are the people of the dessert", said Lawrence as he picked up his fork.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Postby Token » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:09 pm

skibear
Burning Since: 2002

Postby skibear » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:59 pm

ncscooper is a SATIRE blog in Nevada County CA that cooks up crazy stuff as jokes.

You Guys Fell For This , hook line and sinker !
Those of us who live in this county (Truckee & northern areas near Lake Tahoe are in this county)
laugh and take what they say with a grain of salt.
hth
crash & burn ski lessons given

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Postby Token » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:19 pm

I'm so ashamed.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby some seeing eye » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:57 pm

I have worked overseas where things happened. I almost sure the sheriff has never encountered a terrorist event. And I trust there are all kinds of plans for stuff in the BMORG BLM permit. Talking to my buds in in government disaster planning it is clear the event is a theoretical cluster fuck, just like any city in America. But a few more local hires is not going to help. I would agree wind-blown fire is our greatest threat.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Canoe

Postby Canoe » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:26 pm

skibear wrote:ncscooper is a SATIRE blog in Nevada County CA that cooks up crazy stuff as jokes...

If so, then of course we did. Given what Allen has said in the past, the satire doesn't seem any different.
"My favorite people are the people of the dessert", said Lawrence as he picked up his fork.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Return to “Articles”