A Hollywood View of Burning Man

Share and discuss articles and blog posts about Burning Man and the culture of Burning Man.
some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

A Hollywood View of Burning Man

Postby some seeing eye » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:37 am

I started hearing about the event in the Cacophony era. They were creative misfits in a good way, little wealth, or it did not come up. I was convinced to go with them in 1999. I developed my interactive costume in 2000-1, then fell in with a costume, live music, MV village in 2002. The tech era was marked by the Wired article in 1996 https://www.wired.com/1996/11/burningman-2/. In the early 2000's Hollywood/agency creatives got the word, by word of mouth. In that era an artist friend could point out that a camp with a beautiful prayer wheel installation were Hollywood kids. Much of what we think of as burning fashion came from experimental designers in LA who were part of the El Circo camp. Later, international participation grew.

You could say those were eras, but actually creative people of all types come from everywhere. In the earlier eras, they learned by word of mouth in their personal networks. People were invited who friends thought would fit.

In my experience, creative personality types are just driven to experience every new thing. And for most, that returns them to the creative world refreshed for new creations. That the event is friendly, huggy, open and people are on peak behavior is a plus, unlike international travel where the trip is more solo, and can even be dangerous, though equally, or more transformational. There is an overlap of creative personality types with people who enjoy dance music and festivals, but with the ubiquity of dance festivals now, that overlap is slight, in my opinion.

Today we have search engine journalism, where the writing has to drop popular search indexed words, phrases and names. This is one of those articles. It's irritating, so ignore that part. But it is well written and strikes the right notes rather than rehashing the class struggle trope. Another major flaw is the how to get there part at the end and the map.

The coda is: "there's this ongoing battle between whether the real world will infect and ruin Burning Man or will all the people who go bring more characteristics of Burning Man into the real world."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/burning-man-turns-30-joys-922027
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Chowski
Burning Since: 2009

Re: A Hollywood View of Burning Man

Postby Chowski » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:55 pm

At what point did it become the "Paris HIlton flies in to land at a rented luxury RV with waitstaff and hired help and famous chefs surrounded by default world celebrity, all for the profit of the Douchebag Camp Leaders (DCLs) who walk away leaving piles of garbage for the DPW to clean up after them because they're too important - supported and placed by BMORG" era?

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Postby Aurelia » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:05 pm

:mrgreen:
Hey come on we can handle this .

Can we ???

gaminwench
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby gaminwench » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:01 pm

Token, I think it started when Entheon hosted a MAPS conference in BRC. (2006?7?)
Total PnP camp for people who knew nothing about BM but attended the conference.

Terrible neighbors. :evil:
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Postby Token » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:02 pm

gaminwench wrote:Token, I think it started when Entheon hosted a MAPS conference in BRC. (2006?7?)
Total PnP camp for people who knew nothing about BM but attended the conference.

Terrible neighbors. :evil:

Who? Me?

Yeah, that was 2006. Then endless Alex Grey for a few more years.

They were pretty self contained though with their drug obsession and endless workshops.

But yes, that is an example of a village stretching the established definition before the ticket crisis kicked in and made it a non-starter.

gaminwench
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby gaminwench » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:37 am

Sorry, Token, I was responding to Chowski ...

but, obviously, you were the right person to call out to support my theory.
Playadipity?!?

Self contained?
I think not.
They 'demanded' that our (Esplanade frontage) camp allow them a road through our camp for their patrons' easy access to their A frontage camp. (We denied their request)
They parked their reefer truck and geni block (running 24/7) on the shared (4 camps) property line, away from their camp's activities and drowning out acoustic activities in the three neighbor camps.
One of those camps had made lovely, artistic signage by mid-week stating 'Do not ask us where Entheon is', due to the constant stream of addled folk wandering into private areas and cutting through tent zones.
They built shipping container condos 6 stories high on the midblock property line, looking down into frontage camps' private areas.
We encountered not one of their campers that had any clue about BM, principles, or LNT.

PnP entitlement makes for bad neighbors.
Personal experience, 4 different years, starting with Entheon.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Postby Token » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:04 am

Ah, it was the beard.

Yeah, I guess that is another angle of "immediacy", if you look at it through squinting eyes.

06 was rather epic with The Waffle and Mother Serpent.

I did a lot of biking and deep playa wandering in 06 so never really interacted with them.

Return to “Articles”