We're being studied.

Share and discuss articles and blog posts about Burning Man and the culture of Burning Man.
Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

We're being studied.

Post by Elderberry » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:41 am

The Swiss National Science Foundation, a government research agency, has granted more than $100,000 to academic scholars who are researching, of all things, Burning Man.

https://www.rgj.com/story/life/arts/bur ... 303629002/
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Sham

Re: We're being studied.

Post by Sham » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:25 am

For a lot less money, these academics could buy a ticket and jump on a plane to study Burning Man. 8)

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:43 am

Exactly. All that money, and they’re going to be way off base like every other study.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:01 am

Not necessarily.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Meat Hunter » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:04 am

Some of you might wish to cut the academics a little slack. Who knows, some of their published research just might cause some positive change around the world.

Could it be that one (or more) of the academics will use their grant money to purchase a ticket, air fare, and other support supplies & equipment that we all need to attend the event?

Just my two (very small & insignificant) cents.
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:19 am

Before you get 'off the rails' about being studied, search a bit on the Burning Man site about the census team. We are studied around the world. https://journal.burningman.org/2017/02/ ... this-year/ This is just one of dozens of pages about gathering information at the burn. Yes, the researchers are burners.

https://iash.uq.edu.au/profile/427/dr-graham-st-john

https://journal.burningman.org/2014/02/ ... -diaspora/

Meet the man https://www.burningprogeny.org/project-team
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Traveller in Time
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Post by Traveller in Time » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:02 am

Ratty wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:19 am
. . .
https://iash.uq.edu.au/profile/427/dr-graham-st-john
. . .

Can it be, that a significant part of the population of BRC comes to study and learn the experience of Burning Man ?

As evidenced by official Regional Events currently staged in over 60 locations in 16 countries, this colossal cultural experiment, and its founding principles, has migrated from San Francisco to the world.
Seems "dr-graham-st-john" visits many if not all. Assuming he also participates as that is the best way to understand Culture.
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

XPTom
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Shipwreck Tiki Lounge

Post by XPTom » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:16 pm

Few decades ago a federally funded study "conclusively" proved nitrates and nitrites in cured meats were a health hazard. Detractors of the study said it only proved laboratory mice shouldn't eat 300 pounds of bacon a day. I thought "wow... lucky lab mice". If the Swiss will pay me in bacon (or chocolate) I'll gladly volunteer to be their lab mouse.
How many old burners does it take to change a light bulb? Just one to change the bulb..... and five more to reminisce how good the old bulb was....

flexibility is the key to success....... and poor planning is the key to flexibility

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:22 pm

Meat Hunter wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:04 am
... Could it be that one (or more) of the academics will use their grant money to purchase a ticket, air fare, and other support supplies & equipment that we all need to attend the event? ...
They'd probably get in trouble for that, given that they're supposed to be studying
Most of the 85 regional events and groups are in Europe. ... By surveying and interviewing European Burners, sociologists and anthropologists hope to find out how Burning Man's principles are manifesting beyond the boundaries of Black Rock City.

So, sociologists for the younger Burners and anthropologists for us older Burners?
(just kidding)
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Meat Hunter » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:57 pm

Before a researcher might "...hope to find out how Burning Man's principles are manifesting beyond the boundaries of Black Rock City"; might it be a good idea for them to first attend the event on the playa to establish a base line?

Also, might they also wish to spend a little of the grant money to attend a number of regional events in the US to be able to make a comparison?
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:28 pm

True, but from what's been published European researchers are very familiar with the 10 principles, how they have already propagated through some European regionals and how the The Ten resonate with many European values. They have a credible starting point from prior research, with many regional events in Europe to assess (85 ish if I recall correctly?).

The thing about quality research, is that you can rely upon it, and you don't have to reinvent the wheel.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Return to “Articles”