2017 Street Names and their meanings

2017 Art Theme: Radical Ritual
zeigen
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DeBocceRi / Planned Playahood

2017 Street Names and their meanings

Post by zeigen » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:41 pm

I haven't seen any official map posted yet, but because placement info went out this week, the street names are known. Most are self-explanatory, but here are a couple of notes:

Awe: Feelings of reverence and respect mixed with fear or wonder. There's a duality to this word: Awe can come from both the great and the terrible.

Breath: Breath is life. Many rituals, from yoga to childbirth, focus on control of breathing.

Ceremony: Both celebrations and religious rituals are ceremonies, but sometimes we use the word to refer to any pattern of behavior that reflects politeness or tradition ("a ceremonial handshake").

Dance: "And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Eulogy: A speech that praises someone who has passed away; its etymology is "good speaking,"

Fire: In the sociolinguistics textbook "Metaphors We Live By" by George Lakoff and Mark Johnson, they argue that fire is a metaphor for love. English is filled with examples, such as being "enflamed by passion" or "burning for your touch" or "sparks flying."

Genuflect: To bow, to briefly lower one's body by bending one knee to the ground, often as a sign of respect or as part of a ceremony. Its etymology is Latin, to bend (flectere ) the knee (genu).

Hallowed: Greatly revered or respected, holy, as in "hallowed ground" or "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows."

Inspirit: To encourage and enliven someone, related to "inspire." Literally: To put a ghost inside.

Julu: A Hindi to English dictionary translates a "Julu" as a procession or parade.

Kundalini: "The feminine form of the Sanskrit adjective meaning "circular" or "coiled." In yoga, the word applies to the life force that lies like a coiled serpent at the base of the spine and that can be sent along the spine to the head through prescribed postures and exercises. On the way, the kundalini passes through six chakras, or points of physical or spiritual energy in the human body. At the seventh chakra, the yogi is said to experience enlightenment." -- Merriam-Webster word of the day, October 4, 2008.

Lustrate: To purify by sacrifice or ceremony. Includes ritual washing and cleansing.

zeigen

Re: 2017 Street Names and their meanings

Post by zeigen » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:48 pm

zeigen

Post by zeigen » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:51 pm

Whoops, I missed this prior post:
viewtopic.php?f=507&t=80973

So the street names were printed in the survival guide. And apparently (per Retro) "Julu" was a typo, it was supposed to be Juju.

Therefore:
Juju: The magic associated with the amulets and charms of West African tribes. Colloquially used by Westerners to mean luck, as in, "Stealing that passed-out dude's headlamp is some bad juju, man."

SoMuchLOVE
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Rootpile

Post by SoMuchLOVE » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:56 pm

Thank you for posting this!

I recently joined Rootpile which is located at 6 & Eulogy!

I also have become a Transformational Speaker this year!

"Good Speaking!"

This is no coincidence! :) :) ;)

Flowing with the now, not letting money, shit, and things bring me down! Following my heart! Letting my desires lead me! And here I am! And so are you!

Radiating So Much LOVE!!! <3 <3 <3
Everything that is
Just as it is
Blossoms with your love

THERE IS
SO MUCH LOVE!!! <3 <3 <3

http://www.facebook.com/QuestToSelfLove

PS: My Playa name is Rabbit!

Return to “Art Theme”