Need DJ? Plays African House / Afro-House Music

Building an art installation or mutant vehicle? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.
mentalfloss
Burning Since: 2014

Need DJ? Plays African House / Afro-House Music

Postby mentalfloss » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:25 pm

i'm bringing all my music and equipment, ready for any art-car even :mrgreen: ... and eager to gift ear-holes a refreshing change from the EDM soundscapes of the Playa.

music?
the style is _not_ Afro-Beat , but "accessible" and very dancefloor-friendly with African inspirations, rhythms, melodies, drum patterns / percussions, chants ... so the style played depends on the 'ambience' of the situation / stage / DJ before / the crowd (e.g. more house? more groove? more ethnic? )

back-story?
○ growing up in parts of Asia but based in .AU
○ coming over the big pond, for my 3rd Solar Eclipse Festival and loitering around for BM
○ i'm not part of any theme camp this year but have been to BM before

trust?
○ performed officially & 'unofficially' at _big_ festivals (Rainbow Serpent in Australia , BooM in Portugal, etc.)
○ never been kicked off the stage :-D (the opposite happens...)
○ prefer to perform sober , so sloppy mixes are the laptop's fault! (jokes)

Senor_Peludo
Burning Since: 2016

Re: Need DJ? Plays African House / Afro-House Music

Postby Senor_Peludo » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:05 am

I can't offer you any gigs but would like to hear your music. Do you have a soundcloud?

Chowski
Burning Since: 2009

Postby Chowski » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:31 am

If you're bringing all the equipment, why do you need someone else's sound system, generator, and fuel?

mentalfloss

Postby mentalfloss » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:46 pm

Senor_Peludo,
i kind of a "leave no trace" idea online and have no mixes online.
it recreates the feeling we had in 80s or 90s, of going out just for music and not commodifying something that needs to be experienced live, in its authentic form.
however, if you want to hear the kind of sound, i can direct you to other links, that you can get a taste of what is in my sets.

Chowski,
by equipment, i meant laptop, MIDI controller & sound-card.
i wasn't just bringing 2 x USB sticks and calling that 'equipment'.

i'm flying in from .AU , so i have a 23-kg weight-limit anyway...and i won't be fitting a speaker in my airline-sanctioned 1-piece of luggage ! i was offering some variety, i.e. a 'different sound', to all that boom-tiss that you hear on the Playa but who's to say one's culture is better than another ? their dust-stomping feet can decide that :mrgreen:

mentalfloss

Postby mentalfloss » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:51 pm

Senor_Peludo,
if you are a camped at BM-2017, then i can come visit your camp...and you can sample it yourself.
i got offered some gigs at BM'17 too, so once set-times are finalized, you can come check it out 8)

Return to “Art & Performance”