A solution to suicides (at the man burns/ temple burns)

Building an art installation or mutant vehicle? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.
Partypants
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Hobo Feart

A solution to suicides (at the man burns/ temple burns)

Post by Partypants » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:50 am

I don't think it's been suggested (sorry if I missed it if wrong), but what about a 15' wide rope grid? Think a rope ladder to climb to a pirates mast or the tires used for football training where they have to step in each tire hole or fall down. Make the holes 2' square (or better yet varied) and suspend it a foot or two off the ground. Could probably be done with very little vertical roping (the ropes going from the man to 3:00, 3:15 etc.), other than for spacing of the horizontal -(the circles of rope around the perimeter). Keep all your perimeter and sandmen just to the inside of the inner rope circle to catch anyone that trips trying to run past it. No visual obstructions and no more burn suicides. Could even be done with a heavy cordage or customized trash fence type thing. Something parallel to the ground as opposed to perpendicular to it. Now on to try to solve the darkwad conundrum. Pfffff, who the fuck am I kidding? There's some forms of stupid that just can't be fixed with our present, limited knowledge of Bohmian mechanics, dark matter and dark energy...
Last edited by Partypants on Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
I love the smell of bacon on the playa. It smells like.......victory.

Sham

Re: A solution to suicides at burns

Post by Sham » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:03 am

I'm not sure they could child-proof the entire event. Things can be climbed on, things are on fire, there are moving vehicles, things are sharp.
A solution would be to just show videos of past burns on 6 giant screens. The following day, the structure can be dismantled and removed. :roll:

Partypants

Post by Partypants » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:07 am

I'm not suggesting a ladder rope around BRC. Just around the burns. (The man, temple etc.). Otherwise, why stop at BRC? Build a rope ladder wall around the U.S.A. Make suicides suck again could be our slogan! Nope, just around the "burns".

Bless
Burning Since: 2012

Post by Bless » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:40 am

We could just ban suicide at the event.
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

Sham

Post by Sham » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:46 am

The conversation on eplaya is making me rather uncomfortable.
If you give someone a challenge, they will take it.

Admiral Fukkit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii instead

Post by Admiral Fukkit » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:04 am

Sure... fence everything... let's child-proof the Burn. That will prevent suicide.
What a good idea.

Partypants

Post by Partypants » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:25 am

Ahhh the subtle nuances between snark and dooooosh... When the time to actually read someone elses thought is superseded and bypassed by the need to prove one's egotistical ignorance to all. Thank you so much for making us notice you Admiral Suckabagofdicks!
Last edited by Partypants on Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:33 am

I vote for digging a moat around the burn pyre and stocking it with snarky sharks wearing laser-canon hats. Not because it would be particularly effective, but because laser-toting snarky sharks in the middle of the desert would be really cool.

Or RC drones with flamethrowers. Because... irony.

Seriously: we need to acknowledge there isnt any way to make BM "safe". People die at Disneyland and NASCAR events too. You cant mitigate every risk scenario, nor should you be required to do so. BM has taken reasonable steps to make it a "safer" event. But if you want real "safety", stay home.
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Partypants

Re: A solution to suicides (at the man burns/ temple burns)

Post by Partypants » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:39 am

AGAIN, I DON'T NEED SAFETY! Safety 33 1/3 I say! But I also don't WANT a fucking trash fence 5' high around the burns like the temple this year! Nor do i think it's right to have every swinging dick and clit in a kilt with their back to the burn because of "possibilities". I appreciate the snark this time at least.

Admiral Fukkit

Post by Admiral Fukkit » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:03 am

Go drink rat poison PoopyPants, unless the child proof bottle stops you.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:15 am

Partypants I was with you right up till then. The BLM said 'NO Temple burn'. The Borg said, 'We'll get volunteers'. The BLM said, 'No. They must be trained'. The borg put out a call to all departments for 'all the volunteers you can send'. Over 700 showed up. After a quick training session they stood or knelt for 3 and a half hours just so there could be a temple burn. It wasn't fun. It's very uncomfortable to kneel on one knee for so long. Thank you to all the volunteers for stepping up.

Yes it was a drag to have the temple fenced in. Will all the burns be fenced? Maybe. Would your idea be better? Maybe. Should you apologize for your harsh name calling of the nice people that made the temple burn possible? Definitely.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
You should start doing drugs, it doesn't mess you up as much. CaptG

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:15 am

Am I the only one who believes we should be encouraging suicide? Darwin's Law and all that.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:27 am

Down boy. Don't say everything your thinking.

TT120
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:54 am

Dr. Pyro wrote:Am I the only one who believes we should be encouraging suicide? Darwin's Law and all that.
I was keeping my mouth shut but since Doc brought it up......I don't think we should encourage it but if someone wants to take themselves out like that then let em. Get them and their fucked up head out of the gene pool. I know my opinion is not very popular but I've never been one of the popular people anyway.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:09 am

I say if anyone breaks through the perimeter going towards the fire, authorize the use of tazers and bean bags or rubber bullets from a 10 gauge goose gun. Just knowing that you may fail and get taken down and made an example of, will go a long ways towards preventing these types of tragedies...

Maybe a type of canon that can fire a small fishing net around the individual and wrap them up.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Partypants

Post by Partypants » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:26 am

Ratty wrote:Partypants I was with you right up till then. The BLM said 'NO Temple burn'. The Borg said, 'We'll get volunteers'. The BLM said, 'No. They must be trained'. The borg put out a call to all departments for 'all the volunteers you can send'. Over 700 showed up. After a quick training session they stood or knelt for 3 and a half hours just so there could be a temple burn. It wasn't fun. It's very uncomfortable to kneel on one knee for so long. Thank you to all the volunteers for stepping up.

Yes it was a drag to have the temple fenced in. Will all the burns be fenced? Maybe. Would your idea be better? Maybe. Should you apologize for your harsh name calling of the nice people that made the temple burn possible? Definitely.

FALSE! I never name called any rangers! I had a bunch of friends working temple perimeter. I had 6 that worked both and witnessed the suicide. My fucking suggestion was to not need such things. Jesus FUCKING Spaghetti Monster can nobody understand a sentence or two of English? Or perhaps just try and read them before commenting? And for the record, I'm all for suicide. Just not having unnecessary rules, barricades and copious amounts of rangers to try and (possibly) prevent it. Oh, and Captain Oblivious, when you done with your ass hurt for being called out for being ignorant, suck another big bag of poison dicks. You'll be a better human afterwards.

Partypants

Post by Partypants » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:39 am

And as soon as someone that actually WORKED the temple burn reads what I wrote and thinks I was saying ANYTHING derogatory towards them, they will have my apologies. (But I'm guessing those people can read).

Admiral Fukkit

Post by Admiral Fukkit » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:43 am

Are you still alive? God damn child proof bottles...
Last edited by Admiral Fukkit on Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Traveller in Time
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Post by Traveller in Time » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:49 am

TT120 wrote:
Dr. Pyro wrote: Am I the only one who believes we should be encouraging suicide? Darwin's Law and all that.
. . . if someone wants to take themselves out like that then let em. . . .
Not just let them, try to prevent. If determined enough a jump and a roll over the wire mesh as Partypants suggested remains a possibility.

It is no use trying to prevent any attempt, and I can only hope them who tried to prevent him and those who miss him manage.

(
Partypants wrote: Sorry, not an internet person. Can't figure out how to delete multiples
There is a little pencil above your posting that enables you to edit your messages for a while.
You can not remove the message entry
)
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:50 am

Thank you. That would be me and over 700 other volunteers. I'll thank you to leave my nether regional parts out of future discussions. Your apology is accepted.

Partypants

Post by Partypants » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:53 am

Admiral Fukkit wrote:Are you still alive? God damn child proof bottles...
Boy if I would have just been cool like you I would have learned that burnier entitles dooshy ignorance. Keep sucking on the poison dicks, he who can't read and suggests poison to people that can. EDIT; And NICE editing out of how long you've been doing this compared to me Captain Doosh.
Last edited by Partypants on Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Partypants

Post by Partypants » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:55 am

Ratty wrote:Thank you. That would be me and over 700 other volunteers. I'll thank you to leave my nether regional parts out of future discussions. Your apology is accepted.
Wow. Just wow.

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:58 am

Traveller in Time wrote:It is no use trying to prevent any attempt, and I can only hope them who tried to prevent him and those who miss him manage.
I want to disagree with this statement. But I realized I don't have enough information. Over the years, how many failed attempts have there been to run through burn perimeter into the fire?

If this was the first one and they failed, then your statement seems accurate. But if they have caught each one until now, it seems that Perimeter has been doing some good.

Admiral Fukkit

Post by Admiral Fukkit » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:23 am

The trick is to press down on the cap as you unscrew it.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:55 am

maladroit wrote:
Traveller in Time wrote:It is no use trying to prevent any attempt, and I can only hope them who tried to prevent him and those who miss him manage.
I want to disagree with this statement. But I realized I don't have enough information. Over the years, how many failed attempts have there been to run through burn perimeter into the fire?

If this was the first one and they failed, then your statement seems accurate. But if they have caught each one until now, it seems that Perimeter has been doing some good.
You actually understood that sentence?

Fuck me, I thought I was fluent in bad English, but looks like I am not.

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:00 pm

Admiral Fukkit wrote:The trick is to press down on the cap as you unscrew it.
That was a diet-Coke-thru-the-nose moment, right there....
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:07 pm

They'll probably just add some portable security/pool safety fences to slow down and corral the runners so they can be caught with fewer people. It's about as much as can be done as a determined runner will eventually be able to bypass obstacles. The perimeter nearly caught the guy running around this time.

The fences could even be built into the structure of the effigy's fence to not look so tacky.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:16 pm

Read the back of the ticket, now turn the dogs loose...
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:58 pm

For me, I'm less concerned with what the individuals decide to do with their lives and more with those individuals wrecking other people's event with their act, and drawing the eye of regulators.

I remember being at the Utah regional when some guy jumped into that fire. It totally killed the mood of that event night and upset a lot of people. While we were able to reboot it later, after the fire died down, the body retrieved, etc. it really wasn't the same. It would've been much better if the guy had been stopped as just another deranged individual who needed some help from medical.

Likewise, it would've been much better if the guy who jumped in the fire this last burn had been stopped and hauled off before incinerating himself. I'm just glad that none of the people dragging his charred ass out of that fire didn't get severely injured in the process; it was very close. That would have been a tragedy.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

mudpuppy000
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Post by mudpuppy000 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:14 pm

Jackass wrote:Read the back of the ticket, now turn the dogs loose...
Yeah I was thinking dogs, a ring of tesla coils, or electrified fences would slow them down.

Return to “Art & Performance”