Is placement done?

Theme camps and villages are the interactive core of Burning Man. This is the place to announce and discuss camp and village plans for Burning Man 2017.
Partypants
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Hobo Feart

Is placement done?

Postby Partypants » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:16 pm

Sorry if the information is somewhere, I couldn't find anything. We applied for a new theme camp this year and have not heard anything yes or no. Are we S.O.L. or is there still a possibility of getting an email soon? thanks.
I love the smell of bacon on the playa. It smells like.......victory.

asr9754

Re: Is placement done?

Postby asr9754 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:22 pm

Hi I only have an unofficial answer but we typically hear back on the placement status in early July.

watchyourfeet
Burning Since: 2013

Postby watchyourfeet » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:50 pm

This information has been included in literally every Placement newsletter. No one has heard about their placement yet. Pay attention to the newsletters, they will not lead you astray.

Partypants

Postby Partypants » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:11 am

Thanks, first time with placement and had no clue. It's not even a question of placement so much, I just wanted to find out if our camp was going to be accepted as there's a whole lot more work to do if it is with what we proposed. Kinda sucks that they would leave ya hanging regarding that aspect.

Partypants

Postby Partypants » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:30 am

Ok, I just looked at every newsletter going back to May 25th again and saw nothing regarding anything that would give a clueless one a clue to a clue. What does it say and when did you get an "unofficial" clue? Again, not too concerned with where, just if we will actually get placement and thus the ability to preset up with early arrival passes. Thanks ahead of time for any help.

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Postby VultureChow » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:55 am

Placement news comes at the end of June, beginning of July. It happens over the course of a week or so, not everyone gets their emails at the exact same time.

Not sure if it's a sure thing, but maybe check playaevents to see if your camp is in the drop down menu.
Sic Semper Spectatores

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:03 am

From a Placement newsletter...

6. Placement Timeline

- Camp Placement Questionnaires due Thursday April 27th (the last Thursday in April) at 12pm (Noon) Pacific Time.
- The Placement Team spends May reviewing each questionnaire we receive (1485 in 2016).
- We spend June creating the map of Black Rock City.
- We announce Placement in early July.
- Friday July 28, 2017 is the last day to make changes to Work Access Pass (WAP) requests (for Theme Camps and Villages only).
- Monday August 21, 2017 - Placers on playa!

Mark your calendars, set your alarms, and start your planning engines!
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

watchyourfeet
Burning Since: 2013

Postby watchyourfeet » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:43 am

Partypants wrote:I just wanted to find out if our camp was going to be accepted as there's a whole lot more work to do if it is with what we proposed.

Two points:
1. The vast majority of camps that apply for placement receive it. Also generally if a camp's application is lacking they will email you and ask for more information about what you're bringing. No news is good news in this case.

2. Is your camp's interactivity something that you absolutely need placement for? Just prepare to bring what you proposed regardless of whether you have placement, there are plenty of theme camps that come year after year without placement and just set up in the suburbs. The point of having a theme camp isn't to get placement, it's to help create a vibrant interactive city for everyone to enjoy.

bigbluedoggy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge 3D

Postby bigbluedoggy » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:44 am

VultureChow wrote:Not sure if it's a sure thing, but maybe check playaevents to see if your camp is in the drop down menu.

Is there a link for that?
A plan is what you vary from.

Destiny Lounge has been proven to cause cuteness in small kittens.

blah blah blah whatever.

Partypants

Postby Partypants » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:13 pm

Watch your feet, FWIW, I wasn't doing a theme camp for placement. I was doing a theme camp to have a bar, gong show and Playdidarod races (creating vibrant interactivity). But there's a lot of building/work/etc. involved and without early entry/a spot to build it, some if not most won't be possible because I don't want to still be building on Wednesday. Also without all that I will probably just fly out a few days early like I always do as opposed to driving with all the infrastructure. But I guess I'll have to be virtuous for another couple weeks with patience. It's better than what I figured anyway. Thanks, all.

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Postby VultureChow » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:36 pm

bigbluedoggy wrote:
VultureChow wrote:Not sure if it's a sure thing, but maybe check playaevents to see if your camp is in the drop down menu.

Is there a link for that?

playaevents.burningman.org

Bear in mind you need a separate login for that. It's not your burner profile or your eplaya account. Go to "Submit an event" and then there's a place to choose where the event s located. It's a loooong list of camp.
Sic Semper Spectatores

bigbluedoggy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge 3D

Postby bigbluedoggy » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:19 pm

Cool thanks! No login required to view the list at this point.
A plan is what you vary from.

Destiny Lounge has been proven to cause cuteness in small kittens.

blah blah blah whatever.

Return to “Theme Camps & Villages”