2017 BLM Inspection Info Delay

Theme camps and villages are the interactive core of Burning Man. This is the place to announce and discuss camp and village plans for Burning Man 2017.
bigbluedoggy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge 3D

2017 BLM Inspection Info Delay

Postby bigbluedoggy » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:06 pm

I'm a little puzzled by the lack of any mention here on eplaya about the substantial delay in releasing BLM Inspection info from this year. In 2016, the BLM Inspection took place in the first week of October and is shown to have been delayed a day by weather. We were told those results on October 7 in the Journal. Here it is almost Halloween and there has been no discussion I can find of the Inspection and the presumed passing of it by BRC. I realize Slim has had some health issues which caused a bit of a delay in his Moop Map postings and I sincerely hope he is doing alright and I'm grateful for his great posts, but shouldn't we have heard something by now? Stranger to me is the lack of any commentary by anyone regarding this lack of info. I dutifully check the journal every day looking for an update, but have started to wonder why we aren't being informed. Is it just me?
A plan is what you vary from.

Destiny Lounge has been proven to cause cuteness in small kittens.

Destiny Lounge 3D - proud member of the 3:00 Portal for 2017!

Sham

Re: 2017 BLM Inspection Info Delay

Postby Sham » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:27 pm

I wonder if extreme weather has anything to do with a delay.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby some seeing eye » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:11 pm

'Merica elected a whole new chain of command last year. You can look up the management of Interior and BLM, changed. Reid retired. The intent is favorable results on good terms, not fast results because, and approval of the new SRP and EIS. IMO
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

bigbluedoggy

Postby bigbluedoggy » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:32 pm

Politics and regime change notwithstanding, in Slim's last accounting on Day 6 of the MOOP sweep by Resto on Sept 23 , he indicated they had about a week left in which to sweep other areas of the city. In my mind, that leads me to believe that the BLM inspection was scheduled for around the 1st of October. It's not that we've heard it was delayed, it's that we haven't been told much of anything... delay or no. Usually, someone would post an update on Instagram or somewhere about it. I've seen nothing. Anyone else seen anything?

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Postby Token » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:44 pm

Mark Hall who just became the Black Rock BLM field manager has some crazy credentials.

Hall received a Bachelor of Science degree in Metallurgical Engineering from the University of Kentucky. He also received a Master's of Science in Materials Science and Mining in May 1985 and a Master’s of Arts in Anthropology in December 1986 from the University of California Berkley. In December 1992, he received his Doctorate in Anthropology (History Minor) from the University of California Berkley.

bigbluedoggy

Postby bigbluedoggy » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:01 pm

Well hey! We got an update! Um... wait... no it's just a repeat of the same stuff we've been hearing all year with no new info on this year at all. Really?

bigbluedoggy

Postby bigbluedoggy » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:28 am

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:00 pm

The post yesterday on the moop map blog says they are looking forward to the inspection. Patience......
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013

Postby Popeye » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:06 pm

According to Redditt we passed.
nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...

bigbluedoggy

Postby bigbluedoggy » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:03 pm

Thank you. It would be more of a surprise if we hadn't passed given how good the map has looked during the process. The lag in reporting this by BMORG makes no sense to me whatsoever.

bigbluedoggy

Postby bigbluedoggy » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:10 pm

Ratty wrote:The post yesterday on the moop map blog says they are looking forward to the inspection. Patience......

Hi Ratty. WADR, the post was written weeks ago and just got published on the BRC Journal on Nov 2. The coordinated MOOP sweep was completed on Sept 23. and in his writing about that day, Slim indicated they still had a week of time left to do final cleanup of hotspots, presumably before the inspection. IIRC, the passing of the inspection has always been announced shortly after the inspection, even though the final official documents take a few weeks to generate. I suppose they could be changing that this year to wait until they have the official report, but to what purpose I cannot surmise.

Jackass

Postby Jackass » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:00 am

They usually have a huge moop map on display at the SF Decompression shindig, didn't see or notice it this year...
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Sham

Postby Sham » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:54 am

Jackass wrote:They usually have a huge moop map on display at the SF Decompression shindig, didn't see or notice it this year...

I'm anxious to see the final moop map. The multi-green one was a bit difficult to actually make out who passed and who will be banned from the playa for life. :shock:

Jackass

Postby Jackass » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:44 am

They could start by banning those fake ass PnP camps that contribute nothing but their filth and degradation of the event. Oh yeah, those worthless playa vendors can fuck off too...

I'm so F-ing elite, that I only stay in those green areas. When it comes to moop, I consider myself a 1%er.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

bigbluedoggy

Postby bigbluedoggy » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:14 am

Another month has passed and it would appear there is to be no further posting on the Moop Map subject via the Black Rock Journal for this past season. Apparently, for whatever reason, it has been decided that it is not important that we know the results of the BLM Inspection, at least not directly from the BMORG. We long ago heard thru other channels from people who were present that the inspection was passed. In previous years, that info was released with pride not long after the fact and we were all allowed to share in the triumphs and failures of various camps and locations. It is possible it has something to do with the new requirement of a complete EIS for an extended future permit, but I don't see why the results of this last year, if indeed positive, should be withheld from us all. Shadier and shadier. A new and improved transparency...

Nothing to see here folks... move along.

Sham

Postby Sham » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:08 pm

I would be happy with a final moop map at this point. I would think that the BLM inspection would be public information and it would appear in the Reno Gazette.

Blue_Bike
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: As of 2017, Rootpile Bluegrass Camp

Postby Blue_Bike » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:35 pm

I have been away from ePlaya for many months, and needing a playa fix in a big way today I logged on. This post caught my eye first, as this year I decided to participate in Resto for the first time, and then volunteered to stay for the BLM inspection. I am certainly in no position to speak for the BMorg, but regarding the timing of the posts in the BM journal on the daily playa restoration (Resto) efforts, the current status of the Moop Map, and the official results of the BLM inspection, my guess is that a number of factors may be in play here:

1. As the Resto team was significantly larger than in years past, I suspect we generated more moop data to process and incorporate into the Moop Map than in prior years. The sheer volume of data recorded nearly every day by four scribes over a two week period would be more than they could process completely during Resto. I believe D.A. is committed to producing the most accurate map to date, as accurate information will help with the the goal of educating camp leads so following years are even "greener". I recall reading somewhere that D.A. did not anticipate having the map complete until after the new year.

2. As to the timing of the posts in the BM Journal following the progress of the Resto work, as bigbluedoggy mentioned above, perhaps Slim has been busy taking care of some more critical issues. I hope he will be able to finish the daily reports and publish them along with his photos in the BM Journal.

3. From what I saw, I believe that the BLM inspection went very well and that it appeared to me that we met the BLM criteria for a passing grade. As to the lack of official news from the BMorg on the results, perhaps the BLM has not provided a written final report to us officially stating that we passed the inspection. If such official written notification has been provided, perhaps the plan is to publicly release it along with the Moop Map when it is finalized (in January?).

Understandably, many of us are anxious to see the final Moop Map 2017, as it should serve as official validation and recognition of the considerable efforts we made as responsible burners to LEAVE NO TRACE. I am anxious to see this as much as anyone else. And as much as I like good juicy conspiracy theories, I would be surprised to learn that the BMorg is purposely withholding further information on this year's Resto efforts or BLM inspection results for some dark political purpose.

BTW, staying for Resto was a truly amazing experience. I recommend it to anyone who is able to spare the time away from their default lives. I will do it again if at all possible. You may find this hard to believe or you may think I have no life at all, but in many respects it was the best two weeks of 2017 for me. The other Resto team members and the BMorg's DPW leadership on the playa made it a very special and at times almost magical experience for me. I even met people who showed up just for Resto without even attending the burn. Best kept secret on the playa.
Fearlessly be Honest.
Honestly be Kind.
Tirelessly be Passionate.
Passionately be Creative.
Openly be Joyful.
Mindfully be the Person You Want to Be.

Return to “Theme Camps & Villages”