People Seeking Camps 2017

Theme camps and villages are the interactive core of Burning Man. This is the place to announce and discuss camp and village plans for Burning Man 2017.
trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

People Seeking Camps 2017

Postby trilobyte » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:00 am

For those who are new to the community and not sure how to proceed, I strongly suggest that you take the initiative and try to find your own camp. We all understand that getting to Burning Man, especially in that very first year, can be really hard. When you read about Burning Man and the Ten Principles, one of them is radical self reliance. Sure, there are lots of ways to read or interpret that, but in a nutshell you will call upon yourself to figure out a lot of ridiculous stuff ("the rainbow tutu, or the bee costume?") and do more than you might have ever thought you could. You might have already hit that milestone - but out of all the crazy stuff you have to figure out for Burning Man, figuring out your camp isn't that hard. You have three basic options:

1. You can camp by yourself! You all by yourself, or you and your group of however many friends, can go camping and survive and have a great Burning Man experience. Thousands of burners do just that every year, and they have an amazing burn.
  2. You can start your own camp! It doesn't have to be a theme camp, or your theme could be any shared interest ("Naked Margarita Camp" is just one of a billion ideas to choose from). Sure, some camps work all year to build their stuff, but you can come up with an idea in no time and invite other like-minded people to join you.
  3. You can join somebody else's camp! The best reason to join another camp is because 'holy crap they sound awesome and I want to be a part of that!' but you may also have reservations about doing #1 or #2. If it's your first time out there, one of the best ways to learn about doing things is to join another camp and get involved and learn from them...or any number of other totally valid reasons. So don't feel bad about having a strong desire to be part of a larger group.

If you're looking at joining a camp, there are two main ways to go about it. The radically self reliant approach would be to take a look at the camps out there and find something that resonates with you, and then reach out to that group. You're going to find information about camps in two main places. First is the message board you're on right now... ePlaya. Early in the season the pickings may seem pretty slim, but as camps start to figure out what they're planning for 2017 they'll start posting about it. Look through the threads, and if something jumps out at you as cool, exciting, or fun... then post a reply. Or better yet, click on the PM button next to the thread starter's message to send them a private message. At this late stage of the game, many camps and camp leaders aren't checking the boards that regularly, so sending a private message to express your interest sends them a notification, an typically gets a faster response. The other place to find a list of camps is the partial list of 2016 theme camps. It has a list of all the camps who filled out placement questionnaires and chose to make their information public. Holy crap, that list is huge, and it's exhaustive to read it all, but it's also a lot of fun to see what people build and bring to Burning Man. Sometime in May/June a similar list will likely be posted for the 2017 event, but last year's list can be a good place to start. Find something interesting, then fire up an internet search engine and find that camp. Many have web sites or Facebook pages or some kind of internet presence. If they don't, that's probably a strong sign that they're not recruiting for new members anyways - but if you can find them you can reach out to ask. Tell them how you discovered them, and why you're interested and ask if they're planning to return in 2017 and would be willing to consider having you join. Speaking personally as a person who organizes a camp, a camp leader is more likely to be moved by someone with a genuine interest rather than a generic post.

Failing the above, yeah you can post a 'Seeking Camp' post, but to some it suggest that you may be lacking in initiative or radical self reliance... which is probably not your intention. It is understandable though - you may be new, or your plans may have fallen through, or it all just seems too overwhelming. Take a moment, maybe even two, a couple deep breaths, and go. You can do this.

Mod Note: anyone feeling the need to post their own plea in hopes of a camp seeking them out and adopting them... should post it here. Camps that would like to respond to posters in this board should do so by using the private message or email button under the poster's name - don't post camp adverts or responses here as they will be removed.

Lilouoz
Burning Since: 2017

Hey new burners looking for to participate to a camp:)

Postby Lilouoz » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:28 am

Hey burners,

we are two friends (Lilou & Bidou ) that would like to participate to a camp.

We are from France, south Aix-en_provence/Marseille.

Could u please help us

Thanks.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: Hey new burners looking for to participate to a camp:)

Postby AntiM » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:47 am

Lilouoz wrote:Hey burners,

we are two friends (Lilou & Bidou ) that would like to participate to a camp.

We are from France, south Aix-en_provence/Marseille.

Could u please help us

Thanks.

Welcome Lilou. I have moved your post to the seeking a camp thread, as this is the best fit for seeking a camp posts. Please go back into Greeter's Station and let us know about you, what your interests are, what you would offer to a camp and the event, why you find Burning Man intriguing.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

leighskye89
Burning Since: 2014

Re: People Seeking Camps 2017

Postby leighskye89 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:51 pm

Hello! I'm an aussie girl seeking an established camp that provides some amenities, ideally shade, a bike and at least one meal a day.

The reason for this is when I went last year it was logistically extremely difficult and expensive to get absolutely everything myself and due to time restraints and being disorganised i ended up throwing heaps of stuff away including bikes, what a waste!! It's extra hard coming from abroad!

I'm happy to help with cooking and other camp activities of course and I understand that the fee may be more than others.

Malviris

Postby Malviris » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:27 am

Hey , I am a 30 year old normal (kind of) guy seeking a camp, If you want to know more about me message or email me.
Virgin Burner by the way...
I will be coming from South Carolina so ill be flying in a day early or so to help if needed on the camp and or volunteer to help before the start of the burn with anything they need help with.

If you need any help setting something up or preparing something before or during the burn i am available.

AntiM

Postby AntiM » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:10 am

Malviris wrote:Hey , I am a 30 year old normal (kind of) guy seeking a camp, If you want to know more about me message or email me.
Virgin Burner by the way...
I will be coming from South Carolina so ill be flying in a day early or so to help if needed on the camp and or volunteer to help before the start of the burn with anything they need help with.

If you need any help setting something up or preparing something before or during the burn i am available.

Welcome. We do have the Greeter's Station for you to introduce yourself, let us get to know you. Camps generally don't seek out members, rather a relationship forms first. I encourage you to say hi in that forum. It's like posting a social resume. Getting involved here is a great step toward getting EA and finding a camp you click with.

Lip Bomb
Camp Name: Lip Bomb

Postby Lip Bomb » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:17 am

"the rainbow tutu, or the bee costume?" HAHAHA! My favorite part of this post.
We completely agree with this posting Trilo! Well done as always. One thing I might add as a camp leader is make personal contact on the playa with them. Spend time with the camp and get to know those in the camp and party, talk, eat, share with them and baring you being an ass hat, you will be pretty much in with us for the following year. We met so many people that came up and talked to us about joining us. Those that made an impression on us are welcomed with open arms for 2017. Connection is paramount.
Spend your life doing strange things with weird people.

Cornelius_Pumpernickel

First time burners looking for a camp

Postby Cornelius_Pumpernickel » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:47 pm

Hey burners, me and my girlfriend are looking to help out and join a sound camp. I am an avid DJ who has been preparing for a great first burn for over a year now. I have a popup trailer and supplies, water containers and a popup shower I made, bikes etc..I am taking the 29th off work to secure tickets for this years burn. I am dedicated to doing it year after year for years to come. We live in Battle mountain Nevada not too far from black rock Nevada. I am not limited to just wanting to join a camp but also wanting to meet some cool friends to meet up with.
Thanks!

My soundcloud;
https://soundcloud.com/mix-house-studio

sparr
Burning Since: 2015

Postby sparr » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:58 pm

Bringing some insight from my own exploration last year: In the bay area, the most active time for camps to be recruiting new members is in June and July. There will be open work days on many large art and infrastructure projects, a camps-and-people speed dating event, and many other such opportunities. Do not feel that you have struck out or need to commit now.
If you want to make a reply about my personality instead of about what this thread is about, don't clutter this thread, post over here instead.

vcsmith80

girls from Vancouver Canada looking to join a camp

Postby vcsmith80 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:51 pm

Hello,
This will be our first time to Burning Man and we are looking to join a camp please.
Thank you. Vanessa

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Re: girls from Vancouver Canada looking to join a camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:15 pm

Note from the Pacific Northwest: girls from Vancouver are pretty much always hot.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

rony albert
Camp Name: MNTC

Postby rony albert » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:34 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:Note from the Pacific Northwest: girls from Vancouver are pretty much always hot.

O that always sounds me boom boom :lol: :lol: to go out with them

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Postby Savannah » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:16 pm

vcsmith80 wrote:Hello,
This will be our first time to Burning Man and we are looking to join a camp please.
Thank you. Vanessa

Welcome, Vanessa! :D

Theme Camps don't often appear in The Greeter's Station to recruit new members, so I would encourage you visit the Theme Camp forum:
viewforum.php?f=507

and the list of last year's camps (google a few that look sympatico and see if they're camping in 2017 & taking new members).
http://burningman.org/culture/history/b ... eme-camps/

And join your regional group:
http://regionals.burningman.org

Be sure to describe your personality, interests and strengths when you engage with a camp. They want to know that you'll be a contributor, a participant, and an overall leave-no-trace good citizen.

If you don't find a camp you like, buy a Burner Express or Green Tortoise bus ticket and camp within their boundaries, or camp solo! You don't need a camp to survive, have fun, or make friends.

You'll need to prepare to the teeth, but you should anyway. :)
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

AntiM

Postby AntiM » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:21 pm

Moderator note: moved to People Seeking Camps as that is the best fit.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:00 pm

As a reminder, the last line in the first post says "don't post camp adverts or responses here as they will be removed." This thread is for people seeking camps to post, and not for camps to post ads, or for others to post their criticisms of camps. If you encounter a user posting something you think is inappropriate for either the board or a particular thread, please report that post by clicking the icon with the exclamation point in the upper right of the post. A moderator will then investigate and take action as necessary.

egor

Postby egor » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:25 pm

Hey Burners!
I got lucky and got tickets again!! Wow, better than last years August tickets.
So, I have done the camping by myself thing the last 3 years and looking for a camp to join with this year. Very handy, architect/builder, easy going team player.

Anyone have any leads for a camp looking for folks?

egor

Jamie1116
Burning Since: 2011

Postby Jamie1116 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:29 pm

I'm back, baby! Been trying to get tickets the past few years with no luck and I finally scored some. It's meant to be! This year I'm taking my mom and boyfriend who are both burner virgins.

My mom is 65 so it's really important for me to find a camp with a shaded area with possibly even a generator with fans hooked up to it so that she can stay cool when needed. She is a super fun lady, Bernie-crat advocate, and is even busier than I am and she's retired (ballroom dancing, volunteering for local progressive political and social groups).

We are happy to pitch in with help around the camp in all ways, cooking, cleaning, packing out, etc. My boyfriend and I live in Los Angeles and would love to help out on an art car as well! We are both turning 30 this year and I can't think of a better way to celebrate than being inside the magic of the playa!

JamieH1116@gmail.com

Danakre
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Temple Guardians

Postby Danakre » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:34 pm

Hello Camps,
2nd yr burner. Served as Temple Guardian and camped there last yr. Looking for new and exciting, fun camp. I'm handy, I volunteer, I'm funny, smart and get it. I'm looking for a new experience with new beautiful souls. Thank you...Peace and Love y'all.

Jomishon18

Postby Jomishon18 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:48 am

Hi there,

We are a group of 6 resourceful chaps from London, UK.

Expertise in; craftsmanship, cooking and DJ'ing amongst other things. We have awesome nicknames too.

Looking for a camp to make our first burn even better than it's going to be.

Let me know!

Joseph

dorus

Dutch couple looking for camp, VJ/projection mapping skills

Postby dorus » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:21 pm

Hello! We’re a dutch couple seeking a camp that provides some amenities, ideally shade, a bike and at least one meal a day. We’re BM Virgins but have been to Nowhere in Spain a couple of times.

I’m a light sculpting artist and i'm thinking of bringing a small projection mapped light sculpture i made, to add something very cool the deco of the camp. Also I can do VJ shifts or projection map something if equipment is provided.

We’re happy to help with cooking and other camp activities of course and I understand that the fee may be more than others because of our wishes.

Oh and when infused with sufficient booze I tend to do pretty memorable break-dance performances.

Dorus & Irene

ki11ian

Irish/Australian regional Burner musician seeking camp for 2017

Postby ki11ian » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:49 am

Hi, I'm interested in being part of camp for this years 2017 burning man. I have my ticket. I have been involved with Regional burning man event Blazing Swan in the West Australian desert since its inception 5 years ago. I will be available to assist with set up and pack down of camp before and after festival starts. The camp I have been involved with in the past few years at Blazing Swan is Shivas Tea House. We gift tea to the community and provide a space for live music, talks and workshops. I have also been involved with setting up Dream Gallery a space created for Chilling and sleep. As a musician (guitar, vocals, piano) I am ideally looking to be involved with a camp that provides live music or something similar to what I have experience of at the regional burn (Chill spaces). Can anybody here kindly point me in the direction of where I can look. Thanks in advance

DerbyDave 18

Postby DerbyDave 18 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:22 pm

I'm interested in being part of a camp this year. I've gone the last two years by myself and this time I'd like to be around people more than by myself. I can do general grunt work, general carpentry and painting skills and this year being a former masseuse, who I have been told am quite good, I've finally gotten my own massage table and will be offering massages which I've found people appreciate after ssome time carousing on the playa or at camps.

Tereza71

Postby Tereza71 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:42 am

Hello, seeking to join a camp, coming from London, with my 13 year old and 16 year old, did some research on Camps 2016 and sent in a few applications so far, willing to contribute in camp activities, cooking or others, do not mind cost, non stop music may not be my cup of tea though, otherwise pretty flexible, kids are very mature - one is an artist.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Re: Dutch couple looking for camp, VJ/projection mapping skills

Postby Savannah » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:31 pm

Welcome, Dorus & Irene! :D

I hope you're hunting down a camp in the Theme Camp forum or via FB or your regional contacts:
http://regionals.burningman.org

Or, Google "2016 Burning Man Theme Camps" and search by keyword for your talents and contributions or interesting terms like "beach" or "tiki" or "yoga" or "sculpture", for example. (Most camps in the directory don't list what they provide to their own members, rather, they list what they provide to the city at large.) Most camps with a website will list what they provide on that website, so you when you write to them, emphasize what you can contribute.

Just for some perspective: You might find it hard to find a camp that provides bikes. A meal a day (especially if everyone cooks) and a group shade is not uncommon, but the ones that will offer shade, meals, AND bikes are rare.

If you fly into Reno (recommended!) you can get a bike separately from a camp:
https://burningman.org/event/preparatio ... und/bikes/

Good luck!
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

moonshinethemermaid

Postby moonshinethemermaid » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:47 pm

Greeting Earthlings and Travelers.
Introducing myself, Moonshine, and Mateo Ranchero’s as friends and potential future campmates. We look forward to burning with you.

Big picture:
We live on a farm outside of Asheville, NC. We are seasoned burners. I have been to the big burn twice, and Mateo and I have been leading a 30 person theme camp called Mermaid Oasis at Transformus (NC regional) the past 3 years. (We gift 100s of gallons of crystal blessed water and other yummy libations and healing) We are involved in our local burner community and until this year, due the Transforms 2017 being canceled, we have not felt the pull to the playa.

It seems that all stars will FINALLY align and we will make it home again this year. However our tribe does not appear to be able to join us. Perhaps you have room for us?

About the Dynamic Duo
We are pretty epic duo! (in our early 30s/married/sane enough- if you care) We are open-minded, heart-centered, and can get along with just about anyone. We are self-sufficient. We like hydration and costumes. We like to work hard and play hard. We want to help your camp. We do art and stuff. (we both received art grants last year at our regional)

I (Moonshine) grew up in the Appalachian mountains. I care a lot about everyone. I am a nurturer and a nester. I make any space a little bit sweeter. I will bring you water and read you a bed time story. I will holds space during your melt down and help you see clearly what you really want to do next (life coach and kindergarten teacher). I offer intention setting and large crystal grids to bless water as my radical ritual. I love to dress up and make others smile. I can go from acting 75 to 5 y/o in 3 seconds flat. My name was given to me as I often have my dad’s apple pie in a flask near by.

Mateo Ranchero is a larger than life (6’6 and strong!) lover of all things especially those with motors, gears, and lights. A maker from birth and musician by nature he brings a creative flare to everything he does. His skills are two many to list but dabbling in cooking, bikes repair, electrical, and building just about anything are on there. His most recent invention was the “Fresh Beats Smoothie and Synth Bar” that turns your average produce into music! It “won the burn” last year!

Early Bird Planning for 2017

Our vision: We want to participate and be part of a cohesive tribe & camp. We know that it is who you are with, not where you are at. This being Mateo’s first trip to the playa we want a more low key intimate camping experience. We will either be sharing a bus with another couple or setting up our Bell tent. We will be traveling from the east coast so hoping to support a camp that creates group shade and communal kitchens/showers. We are interested in volunteering pre-burn if our location makes this possible. We are available here in NC. (We will be in Oregon before the burn so we could potentially help with a project there.)

If you are interested in connecting further or you have a suggestion of a camp for us to reach out to we would be delighted.
Gracias! M&M

stardustangel

Looking for a Camp- would love to volunteer and help :)

Postby stardustangel » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:24 pm

Hello!

My husband and I are a young, lively and fun-spirited couple who are going to be first-time burners! We actually have our two-year wedding anniversary on the 27th of August 2017! So, on top of being first-time burners, the experience will be pretty significant and memorable for both of us. We are looking for a camp to belong to and would love to help keep your camp running smoothly and add to the energy of the experience. We are both very sociable, yet respectful as well as clean and considerate with our own space as well as that of others. We could both help out with food distribution and preparation and I am the queen of clean so I wouldn't mind helping out with the clean-up as well. My husband would also be able to assist with any electrical issues as he's an electrical engineer. I can also offer reiki treatments and attunements for those interested, as well as tarot card readings. I'm a highschool teacher and offering a mentoring ear to my students is second nature to me. So, if you are looking for someone to just sit and listen to your woes, I'm more than happy to be an ear and a shoulder if need be :)

Onto the practical matter of things: we are hoping to find a camp that offers showers and food. We are more than happy to bring some snacks and extra water as well. Please let us know if we can possibly fit the bill to be a part of your camp.

A few interesting things about us:

Hassan (my husband): very generous and good-hearted, practical/down-to-earth, but knows how to have a good time. He enjoys basketball, house, trance, techno, etc music (he used to D.J.) and he also loves 90s hip-hop tracks as well as Kendrick Lamar. (You could tell that I'm a teacher by the way I'm laying everything out here so neatly- my husband would probably think I'm a nerd haha). He's really into all kinds of philosophical theories and debates. He's a great story-teller and likes connecting with like-minded people.

Carolyne (me): I'm also pretty down-to-earth, but I can sometimes be up in the clouds and I love to get lost in worlds of fantasy and imagination. I love to dance and enjoy being in the moment. I love meeting new people and getting to know what makes them unique. I like a lot of the same music as Hassan. A couple of my favourite songs right now are Drop the Game by Chet Faker and Hideaway by Kiesza. I am a very good listener, although I love talking about deep and meaningful topics. I'm a little more of a hippy than my husband is, but that's what makes us super balanced. He's the roots to my tree and I'm the branches.

Hopefully someone reads this and can direct us in the right direction. I apologize if this is not the way to go about finding a camp, but I'm a BM virgin and I'm going to try my luck here ;) Thanks for reading and I look forward to connecting with you soon!

Smiles and hugs :)

DerbyDave 18

Postby DerbyDave 18 » Tue May 02, 2017 11:06 pm

[ Just for some perspective: You might find it hard to find a camp that provides bikes. A meal a day (especially if everyone cooks) and a group shade is not uncommon, but the ones that will offer shade, meals, AND bikes are rare. ]

Finding any camp that will have bikes for it's members will be near close to impossible. Shade and food can be found but expect to pay extra money for amenities like food, showers and the like above the fee the camp will most likely being charging to join. Radical self reliance. Don't count on other to do things for you.

XPTom
Camp Name: Shipwreck Tiki Lounge

Re: 2017 virgins looking for camp with RV electric hookup

Postby XPTom » Wed May 03, 2017 10:53 am

Sent you a PM
flexibility is the key to success....... and poor planning is the key to flexibility

Politebuzz
Burning Since: 2013

Postby Politebuzz » Sat May 06, 2017 2:44 am

Hello I'm Shannon
This will be my 4th year attending the burn.
I'm seeking a camp to contribute early set up help or breakdown assistance. Trying to find my playa home!
I'm great with kitchen duties and have built domes in the past. I'm a hard worker who is eager to contribute. I am committed to showing up and working to the best of my ability despite the environmental challenges.
I'm relatively sober (420 friendly) and looking to be a part of camp where I can find people who are present.
I have a variety of interests and would like to join a camp that reflects them.
I love to fire spin, ecstatic dance, write poetry from my typewriter, and am passionate about bdsm, polyamory, platonic intimacy, and spirituality.
I also make a dank French press coffee, and adore tea.
I'm looking for a camp that may be suited to my interests- let me know if you have any leads!
Also, I will be travelling along the west coast this summer with an open schedule- so I'd be happy to come and assist with pre- burn projects too
Thanks! See you in the dust

AKoukhtieva

Postby AKoukhtieva » Mon May 08, 2017 11:51 am

Greetings everyone! I am a burner from the east coast looking for a fun and technical camp to join!

A bit about me: I’m a mechanical engineer, and I don’t shy away from hard work! I look forward to the camp build, organizing the space, and helping out with whatever needs a hand. But really, I’m excited to meet awesome people who will make this a truly mind-blowing experience!

I can contribute my expertise in mechanical engineering, assembly, design, visual effects and a zest for organization. Being from the east coast, I’m hoping to find a camp that provides some meals and water (and a tent, if possible, but not a deal breaker).
I plan my life around travel. The goal: to get to more places faster!

In Boston, I take part in a Russian theater troupe, am an active yogi, bike, sing (and play guitar), and tinker with fellow engineers.
Looking forward to making life-long friends, letting go of inhibitions, and expanding my boundaries as far as they’ll go!

Return to “Theme Camps & Villages”