Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Piano Bar, & Much More 2017

Theme camps and villages are the interactive core of Burning Man. This is the place to announce and discuss camp and village plans for Burning Man 2017.
BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Re: Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Piano Bar, & Much More 2017

Post by BBadger » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:28 am

The bearings can also be a MOOP hazard as they're loose, relatively small, and only held in by grease until tightened down. Their use, loose, was definitely a measure of (nearly) last resort. Fortunately, they weren't damaged as well.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:33 am

They are a moop hazard with the cages -- especially the pieces of the cages! :lol:

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:59 pm

:?:
...and CUSTOM TAILORING...?

At a Renaissance Faire today, I met a genuine full-time custom seamstress. She does Renaissance, SCA, sci-fi... all sorts of outfits. And not cheap "costumes", but quality clothes.
And she expressed interest in TTITD.
We discussed the possibility of adding a sewing shop to the camp's services -- repairs, alterations, etc.
Thoughts?
Attachments
Robin 3.jpg

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:38 am

Elliot wrote::?:
...and CUSTOM TAILORING...?

At a Renaissance Faire today, I met a genuine full-time custom seamstress. She does Renaissance, SCA, sci-fi... all sorts of outfits. And not cheap "costumes", but quality clothes.
And she expressed interest in TTITD.
We discussed the possibility of adding a sewing shop to the camp's services -- repairs, alterations, etc.
Thoughts?
Would be a good place to donate old costume bits and pieces to recycle into new and greater .
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:15 am

Great idea!

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:54 am

Elliot wrote:Great idea!
Or should I say trade some old for some new . Not looking for donations ..

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:47 am

Not to cause panic or anything, but a complication may have arisen regarding next year's camp.
As we know, Millicent The Bus is the anchor point of the camp -- not only as the "Office", but as the central physical attachment structure for all the shade.

Well, Millicent was hauled off I-5 last week by "ambulance".
Oil and water mixing at a high rate.
Best case, it may be only the oil cooler. But it looks fine and doesn't leak water sitting on the bench without pressure. Pressure test next.
Worst case... cracked block.
It will be some time before I have time to investigate much. Meanwhile, I'm keeping an eye open for a bargain on an engine, or a whole bus, or a truck -- anything with a good engine and perhaps a damaged body. Cheap.

This engine is a Cummins 5.9 from the 1990s with mechanical injection. And I want to stay with mechanical injection (no electronics). But I am also interested in upgrading to a Cummins 8.3 or conceivably even L10 or M11, so long as it has mechanical injection.
Would love to upgrade to stick shift, if the new engine comes with one. There are vocational trucks out there with the Cummins 8.3 and ten-speed stick. And practically all L10s and M11s have sticks.
The International DT466 engine is also of interest.

In other words, we are in brainstorming mode.

Mind you, next year's camp is not in danger, since I have a second bus! But we really ought to have both, as we did this year.

Oh.... That's a $650,000 tow truck that I made a payment on last week. :|
Attachments
$650,000 hook 002 960.jpg

Traveller in Time
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Post by Traveller in Time » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:26 am

Get well soon Millicent.

Rather a drawback still plenty of time for recovery :coffee:
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

arthur02
Burning Since: 2017

Post by arthur02 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:42 pm

Elliot wrote:Not to cause panic or anything, but a complication may have arisen regarding next year's camp.
As we know, Millicent The Bus is the anchor point of the camp -- not only as the "Office", but as the central physical attachment structure for all the shade.

Well, Millicent was hauled off I-5 last week by "ambulance".
Oil and water mixing at a high rate.
Best case, it may be only the oil cooler. But it looks fine and doesn't leak water sitting on the bench without pressure. Pressure test next.
Worst case... cracked block.
It will be some time before I have time to investigate much. Meanwhile, I'm keeping an eye open for a bargain on an engine, or a whole bus, or a truck -- anything with a good engine and perhaps a damaged body. Cheap.

This engine is a Cummins 5.9 from the 1990s with mechanical injection. And I want to stay with mechanical injection (no electronics). But I am also interested in upgrading to a Cummins 8.3 or conceivably even L10 or M11, so long as it has mechanical injection.
Would love to upgrade to stick shift, if the new engine comes with one. There are vocational trucks out there with the Cummins 8.3 and ten-speed stick. And practically all L10s and M11s have sticks.
The International DT466 engine is also of interest.

In other words, we are in brainstorming mode.

Mind you, next year's camp is not in danger, since I have a second bus! But we really ought to have both, as we did this year.

Oh.... That's a $650,000 tow truck that I made a payment on last week. :|

Good luck finding a nice engine for MIllincent. That tow truck reminds me of another massive tow truck my uncle and I worked on from late last year for some electrical and led lights installation. The owner also brought his 1992 Cummins 12v for new tires and forged wheels installation. We admire the mechanical injection system of that beast.

capnjonny
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Nose Fish this year

Post by capnjonny » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:28 pm

Just curious

How many Ashtabula crank bearings did you replace this year.

At our shop last year we replaced 1.

In 2017 we replaced/ resurrected 7.

When we opened up the bottom bracket we saw bearing balls and dust.

Next year we are going to order up at least 10 bearings.

Notice to all burners:

Bring a spare tire and tube for your bike.

If you bring anything except a 26" tire bring 2 or each.

Cap'n Jonny

Nosefish

JohnnyA
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Real Pirate Radio

Post by JohnnyA » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:08 pm

capnjonny wrote:Notice to all burners:

Bring a spare tire and tube for your bike.

If you bring anything except a 26" tire bring 2 or each.
Don't forget the chain lube!

My first year, I badly needed the chain lubed by mid-week, and had to seek help.

This year I used two spare tubes (one for me and one for a camp-mate), and I lost my entire chain to a wandering Black Hole on the playa that swallowed it up, and wouldn't let it be found, even after 30 min of searching.

(I owe Resto for that one. :oops: )

Not every bike shop on the playa has multi-gear chains ... the one that I went to only had single-gear chains.

So bringing an appropriately-sized spare chain and master-link isn't a bad idea either.

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:10 pm

I do not have a count on the bearings we brought. Might have been 100 = 50 bikes. Then we cannibalized spare bikes, our own bikes and whatnot.
Neither do I have a count on the Ashtabula repairs. Only the total bikes repaired.
How many bikes did your repair in all?

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:49 am

Burning Man prescribes Self !! reliance .. If you bring a junk bike that I can not repair,, Stop your whining and walk the rest of the week ..

If you know nothing about bike repair, some one on the playa will assist you .. BUT .. You must help your self first (before arriving) ...

Bring a bike that is reasonable good/sound .. Bring an inter tube the size for your bike .. (ask the kid next door) .. Bring a small tool pack,: an adjustable (6inch) wrench, a + & - screw driver, two tire spoons, that "little" can of WD40, a bike tire pump AND a bike lock .. Ask any Burner for help .. This will save you from having to walk your bike to a repair camp .. The tools should cost less than $15 and you may save some ones butt with your tool pack .. Wrap your tool pack in a rag and tape it "well" to the bike frame .. This will keep most asshats from swiping your pack .. The rag is for wiping your hands .

If you do not lock your bike .. Do not come whining to a repair camp .. There is no such thing as a spare bike for you ..

Bring your bike to a repair camp the first time you hear a grinding or crunching sound .. Some times a little grease can save your whole burn ..

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:40 pm

All of our bike mechanics might get a laugh out of this.

Many China businesses irrationally build overcapacity. That results in falling prices and bankruptcy. It can result in poor quality as we have discussed for the disposable wallymort bikes. But it doesn't matter in their system!

The Bike-Share Oversupply in China: Huge Piles of Abandoned and Broken Bicycles
https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2018/ ... es/556268/

(They seem to be big on sorting them by color)

This is not a field of tulips, but a drone's-eye-view of tens of thousands of unused share bikes lined up in a field near Shanghai.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:04 pm

Right... I have seen similar photos before.
More importantly...
It is time to start our 2018 thread! Please give me a few more days, and we will launch the camp thread, and also the fundraising thread.
No major changes this year (2018), except that we should be better prepared than last year (which was all my fault for being sidetracked much of the preparation time.)

One new goal is to have a nicer street frontage. Last year, we kind'a scrambled to provide shade in the afternoon, what with having moved across the Plaza and suddenly having the afternoon sun sneaking in.

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:19 pm

Return to “Theme Camps & Villages”