Okay...Where my Deaf/HH Burners at?

Theme camps and villages are the interactive core of Burning Man. This is the place to announce and discuss camp and village plans for Burning Man 2017.
kaylabird87
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Hookers and Makers in Barbie Death Camp

Okay...Where my Deaf/HH Burners at?

Postby kaylabird87 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:18 pm

Hi.

(Note: I've been poking around for ages, but haven't found anything conclusive regarding DHH camps/villages. If there is one preexsisting, please point me in the right direction—specifically looking for Da Dirty Hands if anyone has a contact).

15% of the population is Deaf and/or Hard of Hearing (identifiables vary widely), which means out of ~70k humans heading out to BRC every year, there are stastically a number of individuals there who live in a silent/semi-silent world.

I am looking to a) find my other DHHs on the Playa, or b) start to snowball (dustball) a way for us all to come together in either a camp/village in BRC.

I put my name in the hat as a potential volunteer for ASL services in my profile, so I know there is an interpretive need in BRC, at the very least.

IMG_1570.GIF

IMG_1569.PNG

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Re: Okay...Where my Deaf/HH Burners at?

Postby BBadger » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:02 pm

But how many more burners have left the event with loss of hearing after being subjected to trap music at one of the sound-camps?
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

kaylabird87

Postby kaylabird87 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:19 pm

Great, the more the merrier.

BBadger wrote:But how many more burners have left the event with loss of hearing after being subjected to trap music at one of the sound-camps?
"Some (women) just want to watch the world burn."

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:24 am

Last year 2 friends of friends (married couple) both deaf, made it out to the playa. The husband volunteers with the Reno Core project. I'll see if they're going again this year, etc . I'll let them know about your post
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

kaylabird87

Postby kaylabird87 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:20 am

Awesome, thanks Lucky...connected with Da Dirty Hands on Facebook and am going to feel that out. Fingers crossed!

lucky420 wrote:Last year 2 friends of friends (married couple) both deaf, made it out to the playa. The husband volunteers with the Reno Core project. I'll see if they're going again this year, etc . I'll let them know about your post
"Some (women) just want to watch the world burn."

tattooedreceptionist
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Swamp Thing

Postby tattooedreceptionist » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:19 am

I can also translate!! Great to know there are other burners that sign, deaf/hh or not :)
Norma Jean
Don't forget the pantalónes!

silvster
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Drinkity Kinkity Plinkity

Postby silvster » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:33 pm

Not exactly answering your question but since this is 'sort of' on topic I just had to share since this is one of my favorite burning man video's and involves deaf/hh enjoy: https://youtu.be/cGrYUvBIB60

Return to “Theme Camps & Villages”