Looking for experienced burner to set up new camp

Theme camps and villages are the interactive core of Burning Man. This is the place to announce and discuss camp and village plans for Burning Man 2017.
Shu
Burning Since: 2017

Looking for experienced burner to set up new camp

Post by Shu » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:05 am

Good morning everyone,

I want to start new camp that will provide a platform for people with passion for new and creative ways to motivate and organize people. I want this champ to be a pltform for the campers and the participant to share ideas and try and exercise new idea as well. As a service for the community I thought about offering barista services to all burners.

Please contact me if you up to the challenge.

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Re: Looking for experienced burner to set up new camp

Post by VultureChow » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:11 am

What is your theme besides coffee?
Sic Semper Spectatores

Chowski
Burning Since: 2009

Post by Chowski » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:43 am

Coffee sounds like a good idea for a beginning camp - nothing else you wrote has any meaning or specificity, though. The best way to start a camp is to start a camp. You and a few friends drive to Burning Man, bring what you plan on gifting, find a nice spot and set up. Take notes of how it went, take some pictures, and next year, apply for placement somewhere in the back or the sides. As a first time placed camp, you won't be on Esplanade. After a few years of growing and clarifying the experience you are offering, you will start to get even better placement. In the meantime, stick with concrete ideas rather than a camp for motivating motivated campers. That doesn't mean anything.

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:26 am

"Motivated burners" sounds like an oxymoron to me.

Zubeneschamali
Camp Name: The Chariot Project

Post by Zubeneschamali » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:58 pm

A camp of captains brainstorming on how to get others to do the work?

Let me know where you setup, I'm always down for a cup of coffee. But personally I'm not up for the challenge. On the playa my biggest motivation is to not lose my cup.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:30 pm

Well I think it's AWESOME to hear someone say "I want to start a camp" doing who gives a shit what. Camps don't HAVE to do a fucking thing.
This guy isn't coming on here saying "I want to join a camp so someone else will provide all my infrastructure". He's doing it right.
This is a sign of hope amid all the new non-burner burners who just want to fly in and book accommodations for the week.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Zubeneschamali
Camp Name: The Chariot Project

Post by Zubeneschamali » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:15 pm

Nothing against the OP and his intentions, I'm just speaking from the heart.

Sounds like a one hour session topic on a Tuesday morning, wedged somewhere between yoga and solar oven design.

Major Krash
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Sideshow

Post by Major Krash » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:22 pm

what Chowski said (and a nod to the Captain)

BurningMan is a Doacracy - you want it, you make it happen. Like learning to swim, the best way is to swim. You can go under the radar your first few years (especially if your members will arrive together). Find some open ground (outside the reserved theme camp spaces) and setup your dream camp. A good idea well executed will draw patrons, no matter where you are. Some of the best camps are not listed or placed. And running a theme camp can be a lot of fun!
"If you don't think too good, don't think too much" Ted Williams

Shu

Post by Shu » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:10 pm

Thank you all.

frederick taylor and his scientific management ruin at least 8 hours a day of most of the people around you. Its time for a quite revolution and a change in the way that companies and organization motivate and organize people. If you spend time changing even how small group motivate and organize, you know that it takes all of your time end endless amount of creativity. If you done it in the past or doing it now you know that you can spent month talking and thinking about what to do and how to do it. If, but just if, a group in this event will come with an idea or practice that will change the way organization around the world motivate and organize people, isn't that a big contribution to most of the people attending this event and to many others?

I wish that I can come with my friends, but they didn't manage to buy tickets (sound familiar), so if you read this post and you have the same passion as well as some experience in this event ( I don't) please contact me. I believe that we can put a small camp together and bring people around us (as well as create new friends in absence of the one that could't get tickets).

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:44 pm

Camp Turing Test?
Sic Semper Spectatores

Shu

Post by Shu » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:52 pm

VultureChow wrote:Camp Turing Test?
:D

EGAZ
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Post by EGAZ » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:01 pm

You got a compliment from the Captain. :shock: You have made a good first step Shu.... :wink:
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

Chowski

Post by Chowski » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:37 am

Ah, I see what you mean now. My sincere advice to you is this, and it's not so different from the advice I first gave: Burning Man is hard for beginners. Spend this year preparing and surviving. You have no idea what it is going to be like once you get there. The idea you seem to be talking about might be of interest to a few people out there - perhaps techbros who attend as an extension of their work life - people who want to talk about corporate structuring while at Burning Man. I would rather stab myself in the eye than listen to chatter about motivating workforces, either in default or at Burning Man, but there are certainly a few people who wouldn't mind it.

Fortunately for you, there are already camps which sponsor this kind of Tedtalks programming, If I were you, I would contact them and see if you could reserve an hour on their stage to present your ideas. it would be their responsibility to provide a stage, a time, seating, and shade, and to advertise so you have an interested audience. I believe Play Skool is a camp which hosts events like that, and I suspect there are others. Your first year, you should focus on the basics - shelter, water, garbage, surviving. Go out there and see if you even LIKE it before you try to build your own informational camp. Go out there and get a sense of what the event is and what you have to offer as a speaker and a thinker. Perhaps after going, you realize that what you REALLY want to do is build a little booth with a sign that says "The Organizational Motivator is In". Or maybe you decide you don't want to do that at all, but what you REALLY want to do is build art.

Good luck - don't let me discourage you. But for your own sake, spend your first year experiencing and surviving the playa without trying to do too much. You only get one first year, and if it is right for you, you can come back bigger and better the next year.

Shu

Post by Shu » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:43 am

Chowski wrote:Ah, I see what you mean now. My sincere advice to you is this, and it's not so different from the advice I first gave: Burning Man is hard for beginners. Spend this year preparing and surviving. You have no idea what it is going to be like once you get there. The idea you seem to be talking about might be of interest to a few people out there - perhaps techbros who attend as an extension of their work life - people who want to talk about corporate structuring while at Burning Man. I would rather stab myself in the eye than listen to chatter about motivating workforces, either in default or at Burning Man, but there are certainly a few people who wouldn't mind it.

Fortunately for you, there are already camps which sponsor this kind of Tedtalks programming, If I were you, I would contact them and see if you could reserve an hour on their stage to present your ideas. it would be their responsibility to provide a stage, a time, seating, and shade, and to advertise so you have an interested audience. I believe Play Skool is a camp which hosts events like that, and I suspect there are others. Your first year, you should focus on the basics - shelter, water, garbage, surviving. Go out there and see if you even LIKE it before you try to build your own informational camp. Go out there and get a sense of what the event is and what you have to offer as a speaker and a thinker. Perhaps after going, you realize that what you REALLY want to do is build a little booth with a sign that says "The Organizational Motivator is In". Or maybe you decide you don't want to do that at all, but what you REALLY want to do is build art.

Good luck - don't let me discourage you. But for your own sake, spend your first year experiencing and surviving the playa without trying to do too much. You only get one first year, and if it is right for you, you can come back bigger and better the next year.
Thanks. Words of wisdom and experience, So i'm adopting your suggestion!
PlayaSkool though is not a P&P camp? I found it hard to be any part of a camp like that....

Chowski

Post by Chowski » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:51 am

I don't know if you have to camp with them to be a speaker with them. I'm simply suggesting that you could contact them and see if they have space to host your talk. You can camp anywhere you like....

Chowski

Post by Chowski » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:52 am

http://playaskool.com/
Check them out.

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:55 am

It's a crazy dirty camping trip! First things first.
Chowski wrote: I would rather stab myself in the eye than listen to chatter about motivating workforces, either in default or at Burning Man.....
sigline worthy.

Have a great Burn.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

Corvus
Camp Name: Poly Paradise

Post by Corvus » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:41 am

Chowski wrote:Good luck - don't let me discourage you. But for your own sake, spend your first year experiencing and surviving the playa without trying to do too much. You only get one first year, and if it is right for you, you can come back bigger and better the next year.
Golden words of wisdom. Unless you pay no attention at all to what's going on around you, you're going to spend the first year wandering around gobsmacked. Before my first burn I studied the BM site incessantly, talked veterans' ears off with questions, and joined a well-established theme camp; I still had no idea what it was going to be like. It was on the trip home that the ideas began bubbling up. Well, next year I could do this and could help with that, and oh, yeah . . . all the way home.

EGAZ
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Post by EGAZ » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:09 pm

....you're going to spend the first year wandering around gobsmacked. You're God Damned right! Happend everytime I hit the Playa. Mushroom grin the whole time, sans mushrooms. Ha! before my first burn I studied the BM site incessantly, talked veterans' FigJam's ears off with questions, and joined a well-established theme camp;I still had no idea what it was going to be like.

I resemble that statement!!!! :mrgreen:
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

Return to “Theme Camps & Villages”